Duplicate Contacts

legacykid

Reaction score
i have this as well, everything in 3s, and i only have google my contacts checked off... how can i get rid of this?

Master_Arbiter

Reaction score
Another way would be to "join" contacts. That is what i did. Takes a little more time, but it merges all your contact's info into one name card.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

blue9785

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought and set up my droid 2. my provider is verizon and I have backup assistant. my contacts keep syncing from my gmail account creating duplicates.( from what I can understand, you have to have a gmail acct. for verizon's data package) How do I stop my phone from syncing from that gmail acct. My contacts update automatically through my verizon backup assistant.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought and set up my droid 2. my provider is verizon and I have backup assistant. my contacts keep syncing from my gmail account creating duplicates.( from what I can understand, you have to have a gmail acct. for verizon's data package) How do I stop my phone from syncing from that gmail acct. My contacts update automatically through my verizon backup assistant.

Well, I personally would suggest keeping the Google contacts and dumping the Verizon Backup Assistant. I do know that if you login in to your gmail account's inbox, you can then select to view the contacts. Once the contacts are displayed select the "More" button at the top and one option is to merge duplicates. That will get you back to only one set of contacts. With your contacts tied to your Gmail account they will follow you whatever device you use, even if it isn't on Verizon.

Good luck.

blue9785

Reaction score
My gmail account says I have 'no conversations'. and when I open up 'more' the sync contacts is unchecked? so I don't understand where the sync is coming from?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My gmail account says I have 'no conversations'. and when I open up 'more' the sync contacts is unchecked? so I don't understand where the sync is coming from?

That's what you get when you go to the Gmail Inbox and select Contacts from the menu on the left of the screen?

blue9785

Reaction score
when I click on the gmail app, it just opens up and says 'no conversations'. I don't use this mailbox. All my emails go to my verizon.net account?

blue9785

Reaction score
dancedroidthank you. problem solved. I had never even thought to access my gmail on my computer because I never use the acct. :hail:

Telescopist

Reaction score
This is driving me a bit crazy. I noticed this issue some weeks ago and it has gotten worse My contact list re: the phone, the Contact app, and DejaContacts (a third party application that I use in conjunction with Companion Link) all have 'grown' my contact list exponentially. Ie: I may have as many as 6 duplicate contacts. I dunno how this began nor to do I know what the remedy is for purging this list and starting over. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. I running under v.6.12.173.
Thanks!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
My cure for this was manually deleting all contacts thar weren't stored by Google. Then making sure that Google was the default Contacts Manager..do this by adding a contact manually and when prompted select Gmail as the default. After that, make sure VZ Backup or any other contact apps do not sync...

Hope this helps...

Telescopist

Reaction score
My cure for this was manually deleting all contacts thar weren't stored by Google. Then making sure that Google was the default Contacts Manager..do this by adding a contact manually and when prompted select Gmail as the default. After that, make sure VZ Backup or any other contact apps do not sync...
Hope this helps...
Could you provide more details on how this cure was accomplished. I went into Gmail and deleted all of my contacts. I don't care since all of my contacts that are important to me are stored in the personal information mgr. that I employ - Time & Chaos. So how do you delete all the contacts that 'aren't stored by Google. Cause after I deleted the contacts from Google the status on my phone didn't change. Is there a mass way of deleting all of the contacts on the phone? It's ridiculous. I now have a burgeoning list of over 3,000 contacts! About 2K too many. Maybe just a little bit more instructions and I will get it. Thanks.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If they are the same person, but different info, you can select join. And combine the contacts. To do this, tap the contact, once your viewing the contact, tap the options button, select join. The phone will give you a list of contacts it thinks are candidates. Select the contact you wish to join with. Pretty simple.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Last edited:

Telescopist

Reaction score
If they are the same person, but different info, you can select join. And combine the contacts.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

They are the same person, same info. I tried to comine the contacts in Gmail>Contacts. That did not effect a change on my MAXX. Finally, I simply deleted all the contacts in Google. What I'm trying to find out is how to delete or merge the contacts on the phone. There does not seem to be a way. How would you like it if you had 8 contacts all having the same content of, say Bank of America? :icon_eek: It's bad enough having one! Should there be a setting somewhere on the phone that I can expunge all the contacts and start over?