Duplicate Contacts

chrisl20

Reaction score
...I've never had to do that...and I've got sooo many new phone/rooted/rom'd/sbfd a ridiculous amount...and all I've ever had to do was sign nto my gmail account and the great programming of google aided me automaticly

OP
N

NJnewdroider

Reaction score
I'd love it if google would automatically sync my contacts from my phone right to my google account. I can't imagine typing all 398 of them myself. Seems very "yesterday" to me.

lerit50

Reaction score
...I've never had to do that...and I've got sooo many new phone/rooted/rom'd/sbfd a ridiculous amount...and all I've ever had to do was sign nto my gmail account and the great programming of google aided me automaticly

When you first got your phone, how did you add contacts then?

When I first got my droid back in Nov '09 I have to manually add the contacts to my account, but now they sync every time I do something with my phone.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Do you think it's better to sync via gmail than backup assistant?

Yes. If you plan on being on a smartphone from here on out it is better because even blackberrys and iphones have the ability to sync everything via google (mail, calender, contacts etc)

Comin' atcha from my fission'ed d2g
Not natively though like android.

I'd love it if google would automatically sync my contacts from my phone right to my google account. I can't imagine typing all 398 of them myself. Seems very "yesterday" to me.
https://market.android.com/details?id=no.uia.android.backupcontacts
This will pull all your phone numbers stored in the device itself. It will not pull contacts phone numbers that are placed in your contacts list from facebook though. Anyways then grab the csv file from your sd card and placer it on your PC. Now log in to gmail an import the csv file.

Mamba94

Reaction score

You shouldn't have to manually type them in. I only use google to backup my contacts and it does it automatically in the background. If you go into settings on your phone and then under accounts you should be able to select your google account. From there you can choose what items you want to sync (Docs, Contacts, Gmail, & Calendar).

Hope this helps.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I forgot to mention google only syncs your new contacts when you manually enter there details. It does not sync existing contacts.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Mamba94

Reaction score
That's the challenge, then. Most of the contacts came in from my old phone via backup assistant.

If that is the case, from a computer can you log into your backup assistant account and export your contacts as a csv file, then log into your google account and import that same csv file into your google contacts. Once they are in your contacts on your google account they should then automatically push down to your phone.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
That's the challenge, then. Most of the contacts came in from my old phone via backup assistant.

Try the app I listed. I have a feeling it may work just fine in this case, but as the poster above said, see if back up assistant has the option I think, for some reason it does, but it cant hurt to try the app. You can open the CSV file in windows and compare to your contacts to see if it missed anything.

johnknee

Reaction score
What is the best way to get rid of duplicate contacts? I'm guessing one is from google and the other is from the SD card or something. I can't find out how to delete them all and just let it resync with google.

Thanks!

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
CONTACTS>SETTINGS>DISPLAYOPTIONS
Go through the different accounts (Google, Backup assistant, Yahoo, Facebook etc) and uncheck all you dont want showing up in your contacts list. I only have Google and Preset checked.

biyobe

Reaction score
CONTACTS>SETTINGS>DISPLAYOPTIONS
Go through the different accounts (Google, Backup assistant, Yahoo, Facebook etc) and uncheck all you dont want showing up in your contacts list. I only have Google and Preset checked.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!! I was wondering why I had so many weird contacts... it was syncing Picasa, YouTube, all my gmails accounts, Yahoo, etc.... THANKS!!!!