Dropped calls with long hair?

yaabi

Reaction score
If you have long hair and are seeing greater than normal dropped calls on Verizon, this might be reason for it. See the post from "Pamela". Verizon/Moto should really fix this problem if they don't want people blaming Verizon's network for a problem that lies elsewhere.

Dropped Calls? - Android Forums

In short, the proximity sensor on the Droid does not work well if you have hair between the phone and your ear. While you are in a call with the phone held to your ear, the sensor accidentally activates the screen.

The hair interferes with the sensors detection that your face is still near. Your cheek ends up hitting the end key or the mute button while you are in the call and you think that the call dropped.

My wife sees this issue on almost every call but it works fine for me. We got the phone replaced and she sees the same problem on the second droid as well.

This is a very frustrating problem that they need to fix soon. I think the droid is meant to be a phone first and camera, browser, etc, second. While all the additonal features are cool, I can't justify spending so much on it if it can't do calls well.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
I don't buy it. I can make a call and put my droid up against anything, hair, jeans, couch, table, granite, carpet, even tinted glass and get it to activate the prox sensor. All it is, is an IR sensor. Once it is dark, it is done.

OP
Y

yaabi

Reaction score
I don't buy it. I can make a call and put my droid up against anything, hair, jeans, couch, table, granite, carpet, even tinted glass and get it to activate the prox sensor. All it is, is an IR sensor. Once it is dark, it is done.
I agree that the sensor is *supposed* to work with any of those materials. But on some of our phones it does not seem to work as expected. I'm not sure whether the reading from the sensor gets messed up or if a software bug is exposed in the presence of hair.

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
megan-fox-bald.jpg

kwyjibo3

Reaction score
Are you sure the long hair isn't sucking the blood out of the associated head causing some sort of brain cloud?

jenjen

Reaction score
Weird! Occasionally I get garbled quality in areas where it was fine with past phones, and I HAVE been wearing my hair down since it's been cold... I'll have to make a note next time I talk to have my hair out of the way and see what happens.

heavyMGS

Reaction score
Hmmm, I've got long long hair and a beard and have not had any issues with this.

torresdavid

Reaction score
Experiment: Droid doesn't work with people with long hair

I can vouch for this, this exact thing is happening to my girlfriend. You can do a simple experiment to repeat this bug on your phone, you will need a test subject (with hair):

1) Go into a call (you can call your voice mail).

2) Put the phone right up to your subject, if your subject has long hair, you can go ahead and put the phone next to the subject's ear but **make sure that his/her hair is between the phone and his/her ear**. You can also just put the phone on top of your subject's head!

3) If you giggle the phone you will notice that the Droid's screen will periodically light up, indicating that it is unlocked and subject to accidental key presses. In normal operation the proximity sensor should keep this from happening. (NOTE: By "giggling" I mean, try and move the phone a few millimeters up and down and side to side.)

4) Now for the control part of the experiment : Try this same experiment up against your subjects ear **make sure there is no hair in between the ear and the phone**. You will notice that the phone screen stays dark, meaning it's locked, working as normal and not subject to accidental key presses.

Jessieo

Reaction score
I am a new Droid user - female - with long hair - and this happens to me a lot!!!!
So, so annoying - - - Not sure if it has anything to do with long hair though....???
Can anyone - give another reason as to why when your talking - the mute button suddenly is activated??? Is there some way to avoid that from happening???

torresdavid

Reaction score
temporary solution to the hair issue...

Jessieo, I'm pretty sure at this point that long hair seems to be interfering with the proximity sensor that locks your phone when you are in a call. In my girlfriend's case, she found that she stopped dropping calls if she made sure to put the phone up to hear ear and under her hair.

This is hardly an acceptable solution to the problem, but it's what seems to be working... =\

also you can check out the following thread to see what other have been saying about this issue...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...y-when-used-long-haired-people.html#post64871

I am a new Droid user - female - with long hair - and this happens to me a lot!!!!
So, so annoying - - - Not sure if it has anything to do with long hair though....???
Can anyone - give another reason as to why when your talking - the mute button suddenly is activated??? Is there some way to avoid that from happening???

batichica

Reaction score
Same issue with sensor

I have longish hair and have the same problem, but it doesn't seem to matter if the phone is on my ear or hair. It always does it. It actually seems to do it more when it's on my ear vs hair. I'm so tired of dropped and muted calls and buttons being pushed!

jewels443

Reaction score
This sounds kinda skewed to me. I have long, thick hair and although I always push my hair back to keep the caller as close to my ear as possible -- okay, I do have focus issues -- I've never ever had a dropped call.

I can't help but wonder if it's just coincidence. Perhaps long and short-haired people have had dropped calls. Just curious.