DroidX - major issues

sergzone

Reaction score
Just got my droidx yesterday and i'm having some issues, the biggest one appears to be hardware-related. Note, i charged the phone overnight, so battery charge shouldn't be an issue here.

1. Phone shuts off when it's inactive. Not only that, the "on" button doesn't work when trying to turn it back on after it shuts itself off. I have to pull the battery out and back in to get it to power up. This is big and from my research appears to be a very common issue. Note, this doesn't happen all the time, but more often than not. I had to do this every 10 minutes since this morning. It appears to be on now for a good hour which is more than i've ever seen it run since yesterday when i got it.
2. Not all google accounts work when activating your phone. In fact, it's pretty clear that older ones don't work at all. The phone will let you activate w/ an older one but you will not be able to sign into GTalk or download anything from the Market app. I tried 2 gmail accounts both are over 3/4 years old. Neither worked. Created a new one and voila.

Last edited:

minh5942

Reaction score
Hi Sergzone
I have a feeling you may got a lemon. Try it for one more day. If you have to reboot every hour that is it not right. I would suggest return back get new one. I have droid x also sometime reboot by itself once a week. Good luck to you and hope you get better one soon.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just got my droidx yesterday and i'm having some issues, the biggest one appears to be hardware-related. Note, i charged the phone overnight, so battery charge shouldn't be an issue here.

1. Phone shuts off when it's inactive. Not only that, the "on" button doesn't work when trying to turn it back on after it shuts itself off. I have to pull the battery out and back in to get it to power up. This is big and from my research appears to be a very common issue. Note, this doesn't happen all the time, but more often than not. I had to do this every 10 minutes since this morning. It appears to be on now for a good hour which is more than i've ever seen it run since yesterday when i got it.
2. Not all google accounts work when activating your phone. In fact, it's pretty clear that older ones don't work at all. The phone will let you activate w/ an older one but you will not be able to sign into GTalk or download anything from the Market app. I tried 2 gmail accounts both are over 3/4 years old. Neither worked. Created a new one and voila.

If you have a task killer installed or antivirus, get rid of it. Do a factory data reset out of your privacy section. If that doesn't fix it, take it back.

Your research about it being a common issue is incorrect. Droid X doesn't have issues like that normally.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've had mine since Sunday and it hasn't rebooted or refused to turn on once.
I also have an antivirus program installed with no issues.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The issue you will have with that is that it uses a lot of resources. It will slow your phone down, so when that happens just remove the virus protection.

pool_shark

Reaction score

The issue you will have with that is that it uses a lot of resources. It will slow your phone down, so when that happens just remove the virus protection.

No it doesn't. It only scans when I have it scheduled to scan or when I download an app. Other than that it sits idle just like any other app.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Id listen to hookbill, he knows droids, but that's just me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather

I don't think it matters how old your Gmail account is. When I got my first Droid, an Eris, last year about February, I used a Gmail account that I have had since at least 2007. And I've had no problems with the Gmail account or my Droid X recognizing the account.

It just sounds like you got a wonky phone.

rudydroid

Reaction score
I like having anti-virus free running, too. it sits there. I update it manually, but I like that it scans apps I download, and we know there have been infected apps in the market. also, I'm running liberty 1.5 and the anti-virus hasn't slowed down the phone. the phone is noticeably faster than stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

guest00459

Reaction score
I have an x and I had an issue with the Gmail account actually getting the information and logging me in. Also some 3g issues. Even so....nothing like you're reporting! Im sorry man! I know its exciting getting your droid! Let us know how your customer svc goes.

B

pool_shark

Reaction score
This is a screenshot I took to prove to someone else that the anti-virus program (lookout) doesn't slow anything down. It doesn't scan all day long like some of you seem to think it does.

As you can see it isn't using any cpu in this screen shot.

657600625_photobucket_53529_.png

OP
S

sergzone

Reaction score
The phone was 100% stock. I didn't add any applications. So i don't know if it's a running process that shuts it off. Nevertheless, I should still be able to boot it back on with the power button, which wasn't happening. Maybe it's not a common issue with these phones, but there sure is a lot of people describing the same problem when i did a simple google search.

Well, surprisingly it worked great for the rest of the day today. Not a single issue. Maybe i had to break in the battery. I don't know... I still decided to get rid of it while i still can. Shipping it back tomorrow.

The problem with google account didn't make any sense. I have 2 accounts that I've signed up for when Gmail was still early beta. Surprisingly neither worked. Like i mentioned, I could easily activate the phone with either one, however i was not able to download anything to the phone (was getting download completed unsuccessfully or something like that) and GTalk refused to sign in. The problem went away when i did another reset and created a new account. I don't know if it's the phone or something on Google's side.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: