Droid's water damage indicator has turned completely red, but the phone still works

I H8 5_0 Stangs

Reaction score
I know the indicator originally is a white background and a red X.

I spilled some beer on the phone, not a ton, but needless to say it was enough to change the water indicator to red. However, there is no issues at all with my phone. Should I bring it to verizon to show them, and maybe have them document the fact that my phone works fine even though the indicator has turned red?

I'm just trying to protect myself for if and when down the road I do end up having a non-water damage related hardware / keyboard issue, and when I bring it in to Verizon, they don't automatically go....OH ITS BECAUSE OF WATER DAMAGE and YOUR F***ED, $600 for a new one please.

If verizon won't document the fact the phone works fine now, is there ANYTHING I can do to make sure a hardware issue in the future will get fixed under warranty?

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
I had that happen to one of my phones a few years ago. The stupid circle was in a terrible location and i never knew water got on it till i had to go to the store cause my phone got broken. And my phone had been working fine. I think they are in the worst location. Why on the outside where sweat could set it off? Why not near the actual hardware? You could take it to the store and show them its working but i doubt they will do much. I have to ask, do you have insurance on the phone?

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I've heard of indicators turning red from steaming bathrooms , really humid days or sweaty pockets . You can go to Verizon to make a note that the phone is functional , and tell them you entered from a cold area into a steaming bathroom and noticed the indicator turned red .
If you have an insurance , they cover water damage , if you don't water damage voids your warranty .
The sticker is in a very bad place , although I have insurance I sealed mine in the first day , I don't want to trigger the sensor by simply putting the phone on a wet surface or from a rain drop .

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
All of my phones have turned red from no reason that I am aware of. Verizon will hold it against you. Can you say insurance?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to protect myself for if and when down the road I do end up having a non-water damage related hardware / keyboard issue, and when I bring it in to Verizon, they don't automatically go....OH ITS BECAUSE OF WATER DAMAGE and YOUR F***ED, $600 for a new one please.
I suspect they'll consider your Droid water damaged if you show it to them -- whether it's working or not. That said, I have no first hand experience with it so take my comment with a grain of salt.

modette

Reaction score
You could just search ebay for "water damage indicator" and you can buy new ones. I think it is like $4.99. On the Droid you will have to open the case which is not a big deal as the sticker is partially under the case.

I agree it is in a very bad spot on this phone. Just to let you know I just looked at my OEM droid battery and it has a sticker too. So that is two that can be seen. However I use the Extended after market battery so, no sticker. I'm not even sure why they put one on the battery as you could of exchanged that with a friend that did have a water damaged phone. *shrug*

So that is another plus to have an extended battery, phone dies and the stickers had turned for whatever reason. I only need to change one, as I can just re-install the OEM battery as it is stored away where if it got wet I have bigger problems in life.

I think people are right, you should cover it with tape...it will protect that sticker from anything but a total submersion.

ddarvish

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find the water damage stickers on any website to purchase?

PandoraSpocks

Reaction score
I am a mobile dog groomer. Mine has turned red from the humidity. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it in and see what they say?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
VZW won't care whether your phone is still working, the litmus has already turned.

I used to work for Motorola, and I can assure you, it takes more than a little bit of humidity or the phone sitting in your pocket to turn the litmus dot red. It takes an excessive amount of moisture, which indicates that if the phone has been subjected to enough moisture to turn the litmus dot, it's definitely enough to damage the internal hardware.

tommyb38

Reaction score
There is also a litmus internally that can be seen by peeking in the antenna port hole. This one is tough to cover with tape as it has many openings in the case that moisture could seep into.