Droid4 Maxx?

bishoy

Reaction score
Since the Droid RAZR got a battery upgrade, im wondering if anyone thinks that the Droid4 will be getting the same extended battery?

if not, then there is just one more reason NOT to buy the phone. if it will, then maybe motorola might redeem themselves in my eyes

but i guess the Droid4 has to be release first, huh?

Hail

Reaction score
Dude this Maxx is a freggin Marathon runner!!!!! I can't make the battery die!!!! Still a sleek phone too!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using DroidForums

amishdude01

Reaction score
Since the Droid RAZR got a battery upgrade, im wondering if anyone thinks that the Droid4 will be getting the same extended battery?

if not, then there is just one more reason NOT to buy the phone. if it will, then maybe motorola might redeem themselves in my eyes

but i guess the Droid4 has to be release first, huh?

I would love to see the D4 come out with a maxx. That would be great. I just can't see it happening though . I feel like there aren't enough qwerty users out there to pose a high demand for variety's of the d4. I think moto just wants to pump this phone out and move on . If this is the case, then im definitely picking up one of those power packs you can fit in your pocket and charge anywhere on the go. Sure its a pain in the butt doing that, but I don't see a single charge lasting a whole day =\

tdpolo26

Reaction score
I would love to see the D4 come out with a maxx. That would be great. I just can't see it happening though . I feel like there aren't enough qwerty users out there to pose a high demand for variety's of the d4. I think moto just wants to pump this phone out and move on . If this is the case, then im definitely picking up one of those power packs you can fit in your pocket and charge anywhere on the go. Sure its a pain in the butt doing that, but I don't see a single charge lasting a whole day =\
i am going to go ahead and agree with you on this. the razr maxx just filled in the hump for the most part and personally i like it. i dont see them coming out with a max especially if they havent already started working on it. i was thinking about something today also....i dont have numbers to back it but i wonder how many devices samsung released this year. i mean they may have released almost as many as motorola just on different networks. i kinda wonder if motorola didnt have that exclusive thing and spread the wealth between carriers if people would have even noticed all the devices (i am sure they would), but i dont think motorola is going to i think they had this maxx in the works about a month before the razr was released when they saw the huge battery drain.

TC_Mits

Reaction score

Intriguing question. There is also the ambiguous statement about global capability.

Maybe vzw'll upgrade early D4s to global. Or maybe not. Maybe it'll make a D4maxx in Q2. Or maybe not. Maybe it'll be a D4G MAXX. Or none-of-the-above.

It was a mistake from jump-street to put a no-spares/no-extended fixed-in battery in a gen1 LTE phone. It's not like there was someone somewhere who didn't know how LTE sucks juice.

About the only sure thing is that buying the D4 on release day will be a major leap of faith.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

RoninX

Reaction score
I'd like to see a D4 Maxx, but it probably wouldn't come out for at least a couple months, if at all.

Since the D4 already has a larger battery than the RAZR, battery life may be less of an issue.

I've been reading the phone blogs every day for almost a year looking for a dual-core LTE QWERTY, so I plan on buying the D4 on release date. If the battery life is underwhelming, and the D4 Maxx is released, then I'll probably go ahead and buy the D4 Maxx as well (unless there's a better QWERTY out by that time).

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
i am going to go ahead and agree with you on this. the razr maxx just filled in the hump for the most part and personally i like it. i dont see them coming out with a max especially if they havent already started working on it. i was thinking about something today also....i dont have numbers to back it but i wonder how many devices samsung released this year. i mean they may have released almost as many as motorola just on different networks. i kinda wonder if motorola didnt have that exclusive thing and spread the wealth between carriers if people would have even noticed all the devices (i am sure they would), but i dont think motorola is going to i think they had this maxx in the works about a month before the razr was released when they saw the huge battery drain.

So if you think they saw the huge battery drain on the RAZR MAXX, what makes you think they didn't see the same thing with the D4 and start working on a D4 MAXX right away? I put my bet on them coming out with one. Yes, a few months down the line. I will be getting the D4 on release date as well and using a portable battery to charge it when needed. I am spoiled with 4 batteries with my D2G. Motorola pumps out phones quick. Look at how fast the D2G came out after the D2? There is no reason to believe they are not working on a Maxx. I'm not waiting though for a major reason; I am worried VZ will stop grandfathering in unlimited data. This way I'll keep my unlimited data on a 4G phone for at least another 2 years.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
I'd like to see a D4 Maxx, but it probably wouldn't come out for at least a couple months, if at all.

Since the D4 already has a larger battery than the RAZR, battery life may be less of an issue.

I've been reading the phone blogs every day for almost a year looking for a dual-core LTE QWERTY, so I plan on buying the D4 on release date. If the battery life is underwhelming, and the D4 Maxx is released, then I'll probably go ahead and buy the D4 Maxx as well (unless there's a better QWERTY out by that time).

The battery in the D4 is only VERY slightly larger. I mean not even 100mAh larger. The RAZR uses a more power efficient OLED screen while the D4 is using qHD (LCD) which sucks more power. Now light up all those keys on the keypad. Every little bit adds up. I think the D4 battery will actually last shorter than the regular RAZR. Except for battery life, I do prefer the qHD LCD screens as they are easier to see in sunlight.

mcharron

Reaction score
I have the D2G with the 1820m extended battery and barely get a day out of it. The D4 is only 1785, so there needs to be a Max to make it a real contender for those of us who like a REAL keyboard. My friend has the RAZR and another has the NEXUS and both of those keyboards are jokes, according to them and they use them all the time. That is just one problem, the other is boh phones die after about 6 hours.

Sent from my A500 using DroidForums

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
I have the D2G with the 1820m extended battery and barely get a day out of it. The D4 is only 1785, so there needs to be a Max to make it a real contender for those of us who like a REAL keyboard. My friend has the RAZR and another has the NEXUS and both of those keyboards are jokes, according to them and they use them all the time. That is just one problem, the other is boh phones die after about 6 hours.

Sent from my A500 using DroidForums

I 100% agree with you. There is a market for a Droid 4 "Maxx" type phone, but I have to wonder how big that market is. Looks like the standard battery is a 1390. Though a series of warranty exchanges where they let me keep the batteries (Assurian - highly recommend them even if they are a pain the butt) I ended up with 4 batteries. I am spoiled as hell with all that power. I live in a suburb of Chicago and bum around the city from time to time, unusually taking the train. This weekend is the Chicago Auto show. Now I use the phone for PDF train schedules, ETA on buss arrival times to the bus stop, and once in a while Google maps if I get turned around. Not to mention camera, facebook, oh yeah..and phone calls..lol! Last year I was down to 20% on my last battery. That's quite a bit of power to run through (I keep screen brightness all the way up because..well..I have the power to do so). The 1785 battery does worry me. There is no way in hell I can treat the phone the same way. Even if locked into 3G I would have to cut back (God...I sound like a heroin addict....). I'll be buying one Motorola P893 Universal Power Pack, but that's only an extra 1820. That's still quite a bit short from my four batteries with only 3G. But that's me. Now I've been reading conflicting reports as to the bulk of the D4. Has anyone gone to a store and held one yet? I've read it's skinny for a QWERTY phone and I've read that's it's "So massive it's not for everyone". From the extra bulk the skinnest phone on the market put on to house that 3300mAh battery, I have to wonder what a brick a D4 Maxx would be, and if people other then true geeks like myself would pick it up and even consider it. To me it's like mini laptop, and I use it as such. But to most of the buying public, it's a phone with a lot of features and above all should be portable and reliable. I can't help but wonder if they would make money off such a device. And with Motorola announcing they are slowing down on new phone models, you have to wonder if they would spend time on a Droid 4 Max or somehow try to release a Droid 5 with better battery life. I believe the next great challange with all the 4G phones are battery life. Did Motorola expect the incredible reviews of the RAZR MAXX? Or did they think it would be a niche product. More importantly, if a Droid 4 Maxx type phone is being developed, wouldn't we have gotten some sort of leak by now? If I knew a time frame of a pending release of a Maxx type Droid 4, I would likely wait now given your statement and other statements about 4G and battery life...

*Question that is mostly unrelated to the Droid 4, but more a Verizon question. Say like this weekend I have plans that require more then typical battery usage and the D4 dies. Can I power up my Droid 2 Global and still use that thing? From my understanding I might have to call Verizon and reactivate the D2G and then RE-reactivate the D4... is that correct? If that's true...then CDMA is kind of a pain... as a GSM phone you can just swap the sim. Though I still think CDMA is a better technology overall it certainly seems to have downsides... My fear here is I have a hip replacement and a lot of other metal in my leg. There are times when walking becomes difficult. I'm sure I can still use it for 911 calls but I'm thinking more on the line of me using the phone for non-emergency, like calling a friend to pick me up if my leg starts hurting to much from walking.

B-Unit

Reaction score
So if you think they saw the huge battery drain on the RAZR MAXX, what makes you think they didn't see the same thing with the D4 and start working on a D4 MAXX right away? I put my bet on them coming out with one. Yes, a few months down the line. I will be getting the D4 on release date as well and using a portable battery to charge it when needed. I am spoiled with 4 batteries with my D2G. Motorola pumps out phones quick. Look at how fast the D2G came out after the D2? There is no reason to believe they are not working on a Maxx. I'm not waiting though for a major reason; I am worried VZ will stop grandfathering in unlimited data. This way I'll keep my unlimited data on a 4G phone for at least another 2 years.

Are you sure they are still grandfathering unlimited? I tried to upgrade on the website today and it was going force me to pick a tiered plan.

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
Are you sure they are still grandfathering unlimited? I tried to upgrade on the website today and it was going force me to pick a tiered plan.

Yes. I can confirm this. I just got the D4 and made absolutely sure. He printed a receipt and highlighted it for me.
Maybe you have to go in the store to do it. But I definitely reupped with unlimited. Btw, this thing is SICKINGLY fast!
-

AZClimber

Reaction score
*Question that is mostly unrelated to the Droid 4, but more a Verizon question. Say like this weekend I have plans that require more then typical battery usage and the D4 dies. Can I power up my Droid 2 Global and still use that thing? From my understanding I might have to call Verizon and reactivate the D2G and then RE-reactivate the D4... is that correct? If that's true...then CDMA is kind of a pain... as a GSM phone you can just swap the sim. Though I still think CDMA is a better technology overall it certainly seems to have downsides... My fear here is I have a hip replacement and a lot of other metal in my leg. There are times when walking becomes difficult. I'm sure I can still use it for 911 calls but I'm thinking more on the line of me using the phone for non-emergency, like calling a friend to pick me up if my leg starts hurting to much from walking.

Yes you have to *228 it to reactivate.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Yes. I can confirm this. I just got the D4 and made absolutely sure. He printed a receipt and highlighted it for me.
Maybe you have to go in the store to do it. But I definitely reupped with unlimited. Btw, this thing is SICKINGLY fast!
-
Yea, went in today, didnt even have to ask, automaticly grandfathered me in. I was stoked.

Loving the phone, rooting as we speak. ;)