Droid3, Milestone 3 previewed

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Besides the lower RAM, this is pretty much exactly what's been expected for months now. I'm not sure why everyone is acting so disappointed all of a sudden, unless they haven't been following the Droid 3 at all. Even then, there's nothing that's behind the curve for a 3G phone besides the RAM (and the pentile screen for some). It doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it's not like it's going to be slouch.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Not 4G enabled..why? That should have been a standard feature a year ago (or whenever they started establishing LTE). To date, only what? 4 phones have LTE right now?

volando

Reaction score
So I'm still on the OG Droid, how much better is the screen here? I always thought qHD was much better because it's obviously newer tech @ higher resolution. Why all the hate for pentile?

Also is the SG S2 going to have twice the ram of this with 1GB?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may be no slouch, correct. It may run better than a stock fascinate, d1, or inc. But this phone will definitely have some lag. Blur and Moto's way of handle available ram will hinder the device somewhat.

And yes, instead of Moto putting out 2 crappy 3g phones and one way off 4g phone...why couldn't they spend their time on one really good 4g phone.

socalsx

Reaction score
Why is everyone hating on the ram? Bionic was set with 512. Atrix has 512 + 512 for webtop.. am I missing something?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I'm still on the OG Droid, how much better is the screen here? I always thought qHD was much better because it's obviously newer tech @ higher resolution. Why all the hate for pentile?

Also is the SG S2 going to have twice the ram of this with 1GB?

Go check out the Atrix and Dx2 in store and you will see that the pixels are spread apart creating a dithering pixellated effect amongst other things. It doesn't bother some people. But I noticed it right away, before anyone was even talking about it on the forums here.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Not 4G enabled..why? That should have been a standard feature a year ago (or whenever they started establishing LTE). To date, only what? 4 phones have LTE right now?
again with this...dude the reason there isnt only 4g lte devices is because it is still a small network. so why would they make just 4g phones if not everyone lives in a 4g area.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone hating on the ram? Bionic was set with 512. Atrix has 512 + 512 for webtop.. am I missing something?

It depends on what you are using the phone for and if you don't mind a little lag. On most phones 512 is not all available for apps, usually about 360 or so is available. Some things like launchers, overlays (ex: blur), games, future OSs, push services, and more are very memory intensive. So if you are playing plants vs zombies, have Launcher pro plus with friends widget, on a blur phone, with email push notifications running in bg... your phone may lag or freeze.

NeXtras

Reaction score

It depends on what you are using the phone for and if you don't mind a little lag. On most phones 512 is not all available for apps, usually about 360 or so is available. Some things like launchers, overlays (ex: blur), games, future OSs, push services, and more are very memory intensive. So if you are playing plants vs zombies, have Launcher pro plus with friends widget, on a blur phone, with email push notifications running in bg... your phone may lag or freeze.

although true, isnt the D3 suppose to have a dual core processor? if so, that will help.

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
droid3-preview-06-13-2011.jpg

Some nice pictures of the Motorola Droid 3 (Milestone 3) have been leaked thanks to xda.cn. The article is in Chinese but there is a plethora of high resolution pictures of the device. Engadget was kind enough to break down some of the text and has confirmed the following specs:

• 4" qHD Screen
  • 8 Megapixel Camera
  • HDMI Out
  • 1500mAH Battery
  • OMAP 4430 Processor
  • 512MB RAM

Expected launch date on the Verizon network is July 7th... unfortunately a little late for you to get your fireworks action on with your new device in your pocket.

We are under a burn ban so no fireworks here!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Steve, thanks for the clarification on the D3. I'll keep my fingers crossed that some of the leaked specs are wrong!

-Matt

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This is a serious question, how much of a deal is the ram? I mean I have 70-80 free on froyo on my OG and it runs great. Rooted of course. So how much do we really need to be free on android for it to run well?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums