Droid x used to connect to my car over bluetooth-but suddenly stopped! Please help!

Percipient

Reaction score
I have a Droid X and a Mercury Milan 2010 which has the ford sync ( SYNC | Change Songs, Make Phone Calls, Get Directions - All Using Your Voice | Ford.com ) technology. For a few months, my phone synced fine and took calls/played music over the car stereo, it was great. Then my phone started acting up in several ways and suddenly stopped playing bluetooth, so I had a refurbished replacement phone sent.

After this, all the other problems with the phone were solved but, for some reason I still cannot for the life of me connect to my car and play bluetooth audio - it connects and takes bluetooth phone calls perfectly fine, but has lost the ability to play bluetooth music for some reason, which is really the only feature I use.

The phone connects fine to my bluetooth headset and plays music over this as well. Also, when the phone is connecting to the car, in the bluetooth menu it shows the status as something connects (like "connecting..." or "Paired and connected" etc). When I am connecting to the car, it gets to "connecting..." and freezes. After 15 minutes or so I turned bluetooth off and on again, it started up fine and connected to the car, but only for phone, no music.

Is there any chance Android 2.2 causes the problem? I would think the car is just incompatible with my phone but it worked perfectly for 2 months before this problem appeared. It may have stopped working around the time I upgraded to 2.2 but, I'm not sure.

Edit: I forgot to mention that before even sending in the phone, I took the car to the dealership, and they looked at it and tried other devices with the vehicle and said it worked fine, and that the problem must be with the phone.

Any help greatly appreciated,

--Anthony

Last edited:

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It could actually be a vehicle problem. It seems the blue tooth works fine so the only other variable is the car itself. You can take it in and they can update the software or reflash it. Maybe try a different music player as another option. Try powerAmp or cubed and see if it does the same thing.

OP
P

Percipient

Reaction score
It could actually be a vehicle problem. It seems the blue tooth works fine so the only other variable is the car itself. You can take it in and they can update the software or reflash it. Maybe try a different music player as another option. Try powerAmp or cubed and see if it does the same thing.

Thanks for the response - a new music player is a great idea, I'll give it a try today, at least there's a chance.

I forgot to mention that before even sending in the phone, I took the car to the dealership, and they looked at it and tried other devices with the vehicle and said it worked fine, and that the problem must be with the phone.

erict

Reaction score
I work at a ford dealer. I had 2.1 with no problems and updated to 2.2.340 with no issues. I would start over again but deleting your device within the sync menu and on your phone as well. After deleting your device in the sync menu go to your media menu and make sure there is nothing in there as well. Re sync your device and see if the issue is resolved. I would say there is some sort of conflict within ford sync and syncing media that is causing this issue and not your phone since bt works fine and you can also place calls with sync. I don't sync music in my truck so is there maybe a setting within the phone that has been missed? Also, maybe a hard reset on the phone may solve the issue as well as a last resort.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App