Droid X to Droid 3..thoughts?

gdgnj

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have the Droid X and I just ordered the Droid 3. I use my phone for business and made the change for the keyboard because longer emails on the X became unbearable. I have had the X since it came out and love it. Can anyone give me any feedback or thoughts on your change from the X? I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect once the phone is delivered.

Thanks in advance!

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Well, the D3 is faster, and the keyboard is awesome.
Thats what you'll first notice.

Also, the d3 UI is MUCH better than the X blur.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

spunker88

Reaction score
Your are losing 0.3 inches of screen space but going from a 854x480 pixel display to a 960x540 one so the resolution will be better despite the physical screen being smaller. It'll be slightly thicker due to the physical keyboard. I think you'll find the keyboard nice for typing emails.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't think you'll be missing a whole lot.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

MzKeishaBaby

Reaction score
I just got mines Friday and I really like it, the feel of the keyboard is awesome! I am using adw Launcher Ex for my home launcher which makes it even better! Hope you enjoy your phone.

xe Nismo 06

Reaction score
I had an X for quite a while. Rooted, modded, rommed, etc. Unfortunately my trusty X my its match against the dashboard of my pickup after a bad day at work and am argument with my girlfriend. Decided to upgrade to the 3 and its the best decision I've ever made. The only 2 quams I have with the phone are 1. Less than desireable battery life, and 2. (As of yet) no root access for modding. Which Im sure will change with time.

Hell, just to have a keyboard again (had an OG before the X) was worth it to me. And a pretty awesome keyboard at that.

Enjoy your new device

Nismo

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
G

gdgnj

Reaction score
Your are losing 0.3 inches of screen space but going from a 854x480 pixel display to a 960x540 one so the resolution will be better despite the physical screen being smaller. It'll be slightly thicker due to the physical keyboard. I think you'll find the keyboard nice for typing emails.

Yeah, I didnt think I would even notice 0.3" of screen loss. I am actually looking forward to the shorter device.

I don't think you'll be missing a whole lot.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Great!

I just got mines Friday and I really like it, the feel of the keyboard is awesome! I am using adw Launcher Ex for my home launcher which makes it even better! Hope you enjoy your phone.

Thanks, I hope I enjoy it too! Psyched for the keyboard.

I had an X for quite a while. Rooted, modded, rommed, etc. Unfortunately my trusty X my its match against the dashboard of my pickup after a bad day at work and am argument with my girlfriend. Decided to upgrade to the 3 and its the best decision I've ever made. The only 2 quams I have with the phone are 1. Less than desireable battery life, and 2. (As of yet) no root access for modding. Which Im sure will change with time.

Hell, just to have a keyboard again (had an OG before the X) was worth it to me. And a pretty awesome keyboard at that.

Enjoy your new device

Nismo

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Based on the info I have read on this forum, everyone seems to enjoy the D3. I cant wait.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
And i get higher 3G speeds on my D3. On my X I was getting 1.5mbps and 689kbps. My D3 is getting 2.4 mbps and 1.1 mbps uploads.

Might just be less people on 3G though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its a little bit of a change going to a slide out Keybaord and a slightly thicker but its a good change. The screen is so so much better.

mikelbeck

Reaction score
I went from the Droid 1 to the Droid X, thinking I could get used to the on-screen keyboard. Boy, was I wrong. I missed the physical keyboard from day 1. So then I went to the Droid 3 and thought I'd miss that extra .3 inches of screen. The first day I noticed that the screen looked smaller, some of the text was smaller. But after that I got used to it and now don't miss the larger screen. I'm still getting used to the keyboard, it's different enough from the Droid 1 to throw me off every so often.

On the up side, I've found the D3 to be faster and more responsive than the DX. The app drawer scrolling side to side instead of up and down threw me off at first but I've gotten used to it and now it makes sense.

On the down side, when they keyboard is closed the D3 screen seems to rock a little big side to side, my D1 never did that. And I miss the physical camera button! And I wish I could turn off the way the screen shrinks when I go to drop something from the app drawer onto the home screen, and also the sliding effect that occurs when moving from one home screen to another.

LT*

Reaction score
You could aways install Launcher pro or another launcher to resolve the issues that are bothering you. You can even keep the "blur" app drawer if you chose Launcher Pro.

OP
G

gdgnj

Reaction score
I went from the Droid 1 to the Droid X, thinking I could get used to the on-screen keyboard. Boy, was I wrong. I missed the physical keyboard from day 1. So then I went to the Droid 3 and thought I'd miss that extra .3 inches of screen. The first day I noticed that the screen looked smaller, some of the text was smaller. But after that I got used to it and now don't miss the larger screen. I'm still getting used to the keyboard, it's different enough from the Droid 1 to throw me off every so often.

On the up side, I've found the D3 to be faster and more responsive than the DX. The app drawer scrolling side to side instead of up and down threw me off at first but I've gotten used to it and now it makes sense.

On the down side, when they keyboard is closed the D3 screen seems to rock a little big side to side, my D1 never did that. And I miss the physical camera button! And I wish I could turn off the way the screen shrinks when I go to drop something from the app drawer onto the home screen, and also the sliding effect that occurs when moving from one home screen to another.

thanks for your input!