Droid-X: Text "Message not sent" to particular contacts? Check the facebook profile.

Gafzini

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of issues where people all of a sudden cannot send text to a particular contact (or a couple of contacts). I've found couple of these cases are related to Facebook contacts. With the option to sync contacts with your facebook account, many times the information in the mobile phone field in a person's FB profile is incorrect or not in proper format. This causes the message origination to fail on the device never making it to the network. As a result when you call your provider they will have no record of any such msg origination attempt.

One oddity I found is when the mobile phone field in the FB profile has a 1 in front of the area code and number the device is reading this as an international number and prepends the terminating number with 011 - also causing the message origination to fail.

In my friend's case... she could not send to one person soon after getting the Droid X. "Message not sent" was the error message in the notification bar on the top of the screen. She would delete the msg thread and the contact. Create a new contact using only the 10 digit phone number and send a new message. That msg would be received by the other party, but as soon as that party replied, her contact would change for that person to 1xxx-xxx-xxxx. This person was in her FB contacts and it was set to sync. Upon looking at the other party's FB profile, their mobile phone info was set to 1xxx-xxx-xxxx. We had the other party edit their FB profile to only have the 10 digit mobile phone # and the problem went away. (Note they had to do this from their PC as they could not change it from the mobile FB app)

Seems to me like Google and Facebook will but heads over who's fault this is before there is a fix for it. This worked as a workaround for us.

Just something to be on the lookout for if your problem sounds similar.

megamahr

Reaction score
My girlfriend was having the same problem texting all of her Facebook contacts. When she uninstalled Handsent the problem went away, and she can text everyone again. So it's not Google or Facebook, it's the Handsent devs that need to fix it. Hope this helps anyone else that's having the same problems :)

TripTz

Reaction score
This is a Facebook, Google issue not a Handsent issue.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My girlfriend was having the same problem texting all of her Facebook contacts. When she uninstalled Handsent the problem went away, and she can text everyone again. So it's not Google or Facebook, it's the Handsent devs that need to fix it. Hope this helps anyone else that's having the same problems :)

Been using Handcent for over a year and never have this problem.....

KennyBerndt

Reaction score
my wifes droid x was having the same problem. So I deleted my phone number out of facebook, and after her phone re-synced, the texts went thru fine. Facebook would not give me the option of not including a country code, so i had to delete it out completely from my facebook profile. this seems like a huge oversight on google and facebooks part.....

joanie6385

Reaction score
Same issue on 2 Droid X phones with & without using Handcent. Also saw this happen on Droid 2. On Facebook, I also don't see the option to remove the "+1."

Both Droid X devices would not sync contact update after having friend remove their number, even after soft reset. Had to remove & reapply Facebook account. Not everyone is going to want to remove their number from Facebook though...

barrtender

Reaction score
I just registered on these forums to tank you for this fix! I've had issues with my phone not being able to send texts to certain contacts in the past. I went into the Verizon store and they factory reset my phone. This worked for some contacts but recently I noticed I have not been able to send texts to various other people. Thankfully I read this forum post instead of bringing it back to Verizon!

I just went into my contacts for the person I couldn't text, confirmed that the phone was using the facebook number which has the "+1" in front of the 10 digits. So I created a new "mobile" number in the contact that only has the regular 10 digits and now it looks like I can send them fine.