Droid X successfully overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok something just doesn't seem right. I am trying my best to undervolt the DX, but I turn down the voltage and and I just don't think its taking. These voltages are pretty damn low, and the stress tests I've run haven't locked it up yet.

Yes I've placed overclock.ko in /system/lib/modules/, yes I've placeed setscaling.sh in /system/bin/ and yes I am running SetCPU. And if you look at the output below you'd think commands would have taken.
Code:
#cat /proc/overclock/*
freq_table[0] index=0 frequency=1000000
freq_table[1] index=1 frequency=800000
freq_table[2] index=2 frequency=600000
freq_table[3] index=3 frequency=300000
0xc0573ffc
cpumin=300000 cpumax=1000000 min=300000 max=1000000 usermin=300000 usermax=1000000
clk_get_rate=1000000 omap_pm_cpu_get_freq=1000000000
mpu_opps[4] rate=1000000000 opp_id=4 vsel=24
mpu_opps[3] rate=800000000 opp_id=3 vsel=20
mpu_opps[2] rate=600000000 opp_id=2 vsel=18
mpu_opps[1] rate=300000000 opp_id=1 vsel=14
0xc0574e24
0x0
Thoughts?

does that run stable? those are some pretty low numbers - i saw another undervolting thread where it was at 34..

El Poblano

Reaction score
does that run stable? those are some pretty low numbers - i saw another undervolting thread where it was at 34..

Yes, no issues, which is why I don't think its actually changing.

I've seen the same thing, but I think I know whats going on. First off, the voltage selection absolutely works. When you try to overclock beyond 1.1 its very unstable unless those voltages are higher. For example, I couldn't get 1.15 to be stable under high stress until around 48 vsel. Anything lower, and it would reboot.
Now I'm not positive about the X, but I've been undervolting on my laptop for years now. One thing about those processors is that they have a hardcoded minimum voltage, at which point even assigning a lower voltage to a clock speed doesn't achieve anything more. I believe that we have reached that minimum value on the X, which would explain why we aren't experiencing any more instability. I couldn't say for sure which value that in fact is, but I'm almost positive thats what it is.

Talios

Reaction score
Very informative thread. Much thanks to everyone who did everything to make it easy for the rest of us.
Highest stable value I've managed thus far is 1.1ghz@58vsel. Have had that running for around the last 18 hours without a hiccup. Haven't really attempted undervolting it much yet. I only did one quadrant run on it which was last night and netted something like 1,340.

stevil

Reaction score
Now I'm not positive about the X, but I've been undervolting on my laptop for years now. One thing about those processors is that they have a hardcoded minimum voltage, at which point even assigning a lower voltage to a clock speed doesn't achieve anything more. I believe that we have reached that minimum value on the X, which would explain why we aren't experiencing any more instability. I couldn't say for sure which value that in fact is, but I'm almost positive thats what it is.

So how do we find out what the minimum is? Because I am curious if setting too low a voltage takes it back to default or just sets it to lowest possible.

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I keep getting init_module failed when I try to run insmod on overclock.ko, any ideas?

bsikes09

Reaction score
So then just to confirm, is there currently no other known way to overclock?

hankafyin

Reaction score
I thought I would chime in as well.
intel Q9550 3.91 Ghz
AMD 955 BE 4.0 Ghz
Droid A855 1.1 Ghz
All on air, Desktops use Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus HSF push/pull, Droid uses stock battery cover.
:)

Last edited:

luv2increase

Reaction score
I thought I would chime in as well.
intel Q9550 3.91 Ghz
AMD 955 BE 4.0 Ghz
Droid A855 1.1 Ghz
All on air, Desktops use Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus HSF push/pull, Droid uses stock battery cover.
:)

Your desktops are really outdated now. You should really upgrade to the new Core i7. Sandy Bridge will be out soon so you may want to wait for that too.

I have an i7 920 runnin on air @ 4.1ghz stable. Loving every second of it :)

EDIT: Or wait to see what AMD's Bulldozer brings to the game...

hankafyin

Reaction score
Just waiting on Sandy Bridge, cheaper/larger SSDs and a JOB. I was just curious about the Snapdragon in the Droid X, Did it have the headroom of the Droid. Indications are "not so much".

luv2increase

Reaction score
Just waiting on Sandy Bridge, cheaper/larger SSDs and a JOB. I was just curious about the Snapdragon in the Droid X, Did it have the headroom of the Droid. Indications are "not so much".

The Snapdragon is manufactured by Qualcomm. The Snapdragon is used in the Nexus One, HTC Droid Incredible and HTC EVO 4G.

The Motorola Droid, Droid 2 and Droid X all use the OMAP which is manufactured by Texas Instruments.

Theoretically, the OMAP used in the Droid 2 and Droid X should have a higher overclock potential due to being on a smaller die size, but that has yet to be seen. The regular Droid 1 has been successfully OC'ed higher than the D2 or DX. I don't know if this is a software limitation or hardware limitation for the D2 and DX.

EDIT: I don't even know if the D2 has been OC'ed yet. I don't think it has since it came out with 2.2, and we haven't found a way to OC yet on 2.2 with the Droid 2 and DX. Regardless, the D2 and DX use the exact same APU.

Last edited:

hankafyin

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction/info, still new to the phone thing, but I am excited. Just got it less than a month ago. Read something about the Cortex A15, dual core @ 2.5 ghz. Now that's something to look forward to....

blink

Reaction score
Now that the official 2.2 is out, do we have any chance at getting overclocking/undervolting working?

Status
Not open for further replies.