Droid X or HTC Thunderbolt

deasterday1

Reaction score
I know CES is in 2 days, but I really want a phone. I don't care about dual core (which I don't think the Thunderbolt is going to have anyways), but I want a phone with the best quality pictures, camera, and stuff like that. The front camera is a cool feature, but not necessary since my wife just upgraded to the droid 2 a week ago (since she would be the only one I would really use video chatting).

Is the Droid X worth using my upgrade for? Or does HTC produce a better phone and I should wait?

Oh yeah, I'm not in the 4G area...if that should influence my decision. Thanks!

I currently have the original droid.

Last edited:

qman66

Reaction score
seems like all the reasons i would choose the thunderbolt phone u dont need or cant get as in 4g. i defintely think the thunderbolt will be a better phone but not by much. since u seem to really care about a good back camera you should go with the X plus it is already out and im sure will be cheaper to find.

OP
D

deasterday1

Reaction score
So does the X have a better quality camera than HTC's normally do? (like the EVO or HD2...which are probably comparible phone sto the Thunderbolt)

rjl4tnvols

Reaction score
I have the x and im on my third one and its messing up since the update also my wifes incredible takes MUCH better pics than mine

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

qman66

Reaction score
yes if u google or look at comparisons with the evos camera the x is better. and certainly better than the hd2. other things u may want to consider are which os version the thunderbolt may come with. if it comes with gingerbread maybe u may consider that a bit more.

GDP

Reaction score
Droid x has a very good camera for a phone. Much better than any other phone I've ever seen. I couldn't imagine the thunderbolt having anything much better than the x in that department.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
D

deasterday1

Reaction score
Are there a lot of issues with the X's messing up with the new update? SInce I'd be buying it 6 months after the phone was released, I'd think a lot of the problems would be fixed by now

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All the things you pointed out that you don't need seem to be pointing you to the X.
Plus its already out. I have to say that the thunderbolt(If it has the same camera that the EVO has) will take slightly better pictures as I've owned both an evo and an X.

OP
D

deasterday1

Reaction score
Yeah. I like my Droid 1, I just want a bigger screen. Besides the blockbuster app, how can you view movies or tv shows on the droid x?

Theres no way to view your dvd digital copies on the droids? only Apple?

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Way I see it you wait the few days and go in the store and play with them both. its going to come down to personal feel and touch. Since they can't confirm or deny and of the "hardware" in the bolt, it may delay the ship dates. They have already said it won't have the 1.2 dual core.

Or get the X you have the 30 day exchange option

qman66

Reaction score
Yeah. I like my Droid 1, I just want a bigger screen. Besides the blockbuster app, how can you view movies or tv shows on the droid x?

blockbuster app stinks look at the rating it has on the android market. i uninstalled that garbage. anyways u can view movies and shows on several websites using ur browser which i cant remember the sites right now and u can definitely rip a dvd to the phone.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Define what you mean by "digital copies"...do you mean the retail digital copies that come with most DVD`s now days, or do you mean digital copies that you make yourself from your own retail dvd`s? If you mean the ones from the factory, then yes, they are a pain to deal with thanks to the built in DRM. If you mean your own "rips", then these are a breeeze...I routinely move h.264 ripped .m4v(iTunes format) films to my X and watch them with no issue...

cnorm5623

Reaction score
My personal thought is that my old Droid incredible took way better pics than my X. But I kept blowing our speakers in my incredible and no problems with my X. I just miss the smaller size of the incredible.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
If you have grown to like the ability to flash custom Roms on your D1 you might not want to go with Motorola. Since the D1 they have locked the phones down. Roms on the X are just variations of the same same thing.

HTC or Samsung Is the way to go if you like freedom.

yuusharo

Reaction score
Keep in mind, HTC locks down their phones as well. They just haven't gone as far as locking the bootloader yet, but there's nothing potentially stopping them. Like any manufacturer, they have a responsibility to lock their devices down so that they conform to the carrier's demands.

Anyway, if the Thunderbolt is essentially Verizon's EVO 4g, I have to say I'd pick the Droid X just on the look and feel. Motorola kinda drops the ball when it comes to software and timely updates, but their build quality is stunningly good. I compare my Droid X to a coworker's EVO and I just love the X more. Its thinner, has that nice rubberized texture, and I prefer physical buttons over touch capacitive ones. I also like how it has a 16x9 resolution, where the EVO is a 16x10, so you fill the whole screen when watching video without having any black bars on it.

Again, it comes down to your own preference. Either way, I think you'll be satisfied.