First Smartphone: Droid X or HTC Thunderbolt

calicene

Reaction score
I totally recommend buying DX or fascinate from craigslist and wait for bionic or something else. TB is nicer than DX but not a must have.
I just rooted DX and totally loving it right now.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

leonozug

Reaction score
I vote for the X. The Bolt is far from perfect, and has issues to be ironed out. Battery life it not good. Go cheaper with an X for a year, and next spring, get a really GOOD phone. I'm sure by then they'll have all this 4G dual-core business sorted out. I LOVE my X, does everything I need it to do, and does it well with great battery life.

dbst

Reaction score
Check out Swappa if you decide to buy a used one, there are usually better deals on there than eBay

Sent from my Elocity A7 using DroidForums App

jmorton10

Reaction score
For those of you who work full-time and have wifi at work, do you still use 3G/4G or do you use the wifi? Do you guys really find yourself waiting on the 3G network often?

I work full time at a large car dealership (I'm an IT guy).

We have WiFi everywhere at work & when I'm there I use it (unless I forget to turn it on). I like to leave SlingMobile or Vulkano (I have both) running quite a bit during the day & see no reason to stream video with 3G when WiFi is freely available.

I have had plenty of days where I was VERY busy at work & didn't realize until 8 hours later that it had been streaming on 3G all day (because I forgot to turn on the WiFi in the phone) & it worked just fine.

When I heard the t-bolt was coming out & had 4G I immediately planned to buy one. I backed off that idea real quick when I realized that other than 4G, the t-bolt & the X are virtually identical spec wise (+ the t-bolt has no hdmi which I use daily). The t-bolt has the same size screen, the same camera, the same video, the same speed processor etc etc. The t-bolt is heavier & the battery like blows.

I can't imagine signing a 2 year contract for $249 to get the t-bolt at this time, when you can get an X for next to nothing with no contract & wait to upgrade for one of the mid year phones coming out that look like they will blow away the t-bolt

~John

rocketpod23

Reaction score
I'll get in on this one. I say go Droid X for now. Yeah yeah, "4g, front facing camera, faster." 4G is still very new(barely exists) with verizon, so all it will do for you is drain your precious battery. Front facing camera? How many of your friends and family are you gonna be able to talk into getting a TB just so you can use it?

My point is that the technology is still new, I would personally wait until all the kinks are worked out, and you will actually be able to benefit from 4G coverage before getting a 4G phone. I will be due for an upgrade in a couple of months, and will definitely be taking my own advice on this one. For the price of a TB, you could probably just buy an X and save your upgrade.

Not to bash the TB by any means. I'm sure it is in a lot of ways superior, but definitely not the one to use my upgrade on. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

calicene

Reaction score
The TB does have the same specs as the DX but heard its a bit faster. At least the bionic specs will be superior than DX & TB. Definitely wait and not use up your upgrade.

I just bought my bro the fascinate from Craigslist for good price. Phone is in excellent shape, I rooted and superclean 2.9.2 and he loves it. He had the Eris before so in all fairness he probably would've liked anything. I got the fascinate over the DX just cuz of price. I'm so happy with the DX right now I'm definitely gonna save my upgrade for much later.

Sent from my DX apeX 1.4.1

cece5702

Reaction score
How would I know if the phone is in good condition or not if I buy it from Craigslist? Also if I do that, do I than take it to Verizon for them to activate the phone?
The TB does have the same specs as the DX but heard its a bit faster. At least the bionic specs will be superior than DX & TB. Definitely wait and not use up your upgrade.

I just bought my bro the fascinate from Craigslist for good price. Phone is in excellent shape, I rooted and superclean 2.9.2 and he loves it. He had the Eris before so in all fairness he probably would've liked anything. I got the fascinate over the DX just cuz of price. I'm so happy with the DX right now I'm definitely gonna save my upgrade for much later.

Sent from my DX apeX 1.4.1

nielsen345

Reaction score
you can activate it over the phone or you're supposed to be able to do it on the website but it never works for me..

TheGr838

Reaction score
I have both. Thunderbolt is superior in every way except battery, but 1600-1800ma batteries are on the way. As of right now, you can lock in to the unlimited 4G data plan for $30 per month, as this unlimited plan will go away by midsummer at the latest. If you like a stock phone, HTC Sense 2.0 UI is infinitely more tolerable than motoblur. If you dont like a stock phone and prefer the customization rout via ROMs and such, S=OFF is win, and moto locked bootloader=fail. Developer support for the Thunderbolt will equal, possibly even surpass, the OG Droid 1, and developer support for that device far exceeds any other device on the market except maybe the Nexus 1 and Desire.

The Bionic will be a fantastic phone, but I fear the release may coincide with the introduction of tiered data pricing. Plus, if again you are the customization type, the history of moto locking their bootloaders will be something to think about, as this will prevent custom kernals.

The Moto Targa is supposedly a quad core device releasing later on in the year (3rd or 4th quarter release?) that trumps any device, regardless of manufacturer or carrier. Seems to me that once this device hits on vzw, it will render even the dual core phones obsolete.

But, as I told a friend of mine the other day, if you wait for the next device that is supposed to be the best, you will be perpetually waiting forever. Thats why I say go with the Thunderbolt, as it is superior in every aspect to the droid x.

calicene

Reaction score
When buying from Craigslist, insist to seller than you would like to meet him at the Verizon store. You can activate the phone to your number and make sure it has a clean ESN. If the seller tries to dodge meeting at a Verizon store, that usually means he has something to hide.

Sent from my DX apeX 1.4.1.

jmorton10

Reaction score
the Thunderbolt, as it is superior in every aspect to the droid x.

How do you figure that??

It is way more expensive & hardly superior in ANY aspect other than the 4G (which hardly works anywhere at this point)

I was all set to buy one until I saw the specs & the so so reviews. I can afford it no problem & if it was a clearly superior device I would already own one (even if I had to pay retail for it). Spending hundreds of dollars on it & wasting an upgrade on one is nuts at this point IMHO (especially when the Bionic is so close to release)

~John

xier

Reaction score
Love my liberty dx ... but can't live without my tbs lte.

libirm

Reaction score
will upgrading to DX or TB-
No 4g in my area I'd for at least a year.
TB is $100.00 more.
I don't think it is worth it, do you?
By the time 4g gets here i be ready for another upgrade.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My tbolt is fast even on WiFi compared to my Droid X on WiFi and my OG Droid is even slower. There is a noticeable increase in performance from droid x to the thunderbolt.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
A better comparison would be the Incredible to the Thunderbolt.