DROID X or HTC Thundebolt?

EisBlade

Reaction score
I've owned my DX for approx. 3 weeks now. It's my first smartphone and I've enjoyed it, but have read on here how much nicer the Tbolt is - especially in regards to hacking it.

So, do I just let her upgrade to a DROID X also like she wants, or do I seize this golden opportunity to have her upgrade to the HTC Thunderbolt and then swap phones with her afterwards? I'm leaning towards the swap but am holding off til some replies roll in here.

Also, does the HTC Tbolt also use a microSD card like the DROID X does? I ask because I purchased a 32Gb for the Dx. Thanks!!!

cpjr

Reaction score
TB fo sho. And it comes with a 32gb card pre-installed.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The tbolt comes with a 32GB sd card but if you bought a class 6 or higher I would still switch the sd cards.

The tbolt is amazing. I love mine its fast and so smooth. I can't wait to root it but I always hold off for at least a month. Just be forewarned that the bolt might have some problems with battery life. And 4g if you live in a 4g area wil suck battery like there is no tomorrow but you can turn it off if you need to. Even though the tbolt is older technology the dev support is there and also the Droid x is going End of Life soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
I have a DX.....Tbolt FTW!

DX Rooted Deodexed GB w/ Ginercomb via DF app

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
TB is a better phone, but 4 hours of battery time blows.

That would blow.

Fortunately the TB gets much better battery life than that. I get 12-15+ hours on the stock battery.

That's great, but many don't. If we turn the screen brightness down to 20%, disable 4G, turn off automatic synch and some other tweaks, we can get decent battery life out of it.

Of course that defeats the purpose. That's like buying a new Corvette and the only way to get it to run is to yank 4 of the spark plug wires so that it is running at half power.

That's not a "fix" IMHO...

Technoman

Reaction score
I just don't get why anyone would think that the TBolt is an upgrade. Sure it has 4g, but same processor. Sure it has a front facing camera, but that isn't that big of a deal. It does not have HDMI out, no home dock, no dedicated car dock. My X is not that far from the TBolt, and I am saving my upgrade for a dual core processor that has front facing camera, 4G, and HDMI out! Without those features my X kicks butt as it sits with the leaked GB!

cpjr

Reaction score
TB is a better phone, but 4 hours of battery time blows.

That would blow.

Fortunately the TB gets much better battery life than that. I get 12-15+ hours on the stock battery.

That's great, but many don't. If we turn the screen brightness down to 20%, disable 4G, turn off automatic synch and some other tweaks, we can get decent battery life out of it.

Of course that defeats the purpose. That's like buying a new Corvette and the only way to get it to run is to yank 4 of the spark plug wires so that it is running at half power.

Im rooted, running a custom ROM and OVERCLOCKED to 1.5ghz.

Now, with that said, I have brightness set to AUTO, 4G ON (which I actually get service on about 50% of the time), GPS and WiFi ON, etc, etc,......

And get over 12 hours on a charge. And the phone gets USED....I run 2 companies and its my personal and business phone.

Guess Im just lucky.

PS- To each his own, I had an X....and IMHO the TB blows it away.

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its all what you would like. Everyone has different opinions and the tb is new you may get it and realize its not for you. You still have the 15 day return policy.

Just make sure you use your upgrade wisely because the tb is the first 4g device for Verizon. There will be many more to come, bigger, better and faster!!

droidshot®

Reaction score
I would wait for the DX-2 or Charge bro. My brother went from the Droid -2 to the Thunderbolt and didn't like it.It takes great pictures and videos but things like texting and we don't have 4g yet are just some of the things he didn't like. He went to the X, which EOD was in February, and is loving it.I have the D-1 and still love it, so I'm waiting for something really great! :)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just don't get why anyone would think that the TBolt is an upgrade. Sure it has 4g, but same processor. Sure it has a front facing camera, but that isn't that big of a deal. It does not have HDMI out, no home dock, no dedicated car dock. My X is not that far from the TBolt, and I am saving my upgrade for a dual core processor that has front facing camera, 4G, and HDMI out! Without those features my X kicks butt as it sits with the leaked GB!

The TB is faster, and the 4G speeds are 18x as fast.

VZW 3G is horrible, it is like 56k dial-up. My girlfriend averages 22mbit down, and 30mbit up on her TB while I struggle to break 1Mbit with 5 bars. It's faster than my cable modem...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
That would blow.

Im rooted, running a custom ROM and OVERCLOCKED to 1.5ghz.

Now, with that said, I have brightness set to AUTO, 4G ON (which I actually get service on about 50% of the time), GPS and WiFi ON, etc, etc,......

And get over 12 hours on a charge. And the phone gets USED....I run 2 companies and its my personal and business phone.

Guess Im just lucky.

PS- To each his own, I had an X....and IMHO the TB blows it away.

Dunno. There are too many people complaining about horrendous battery life for it to be an isolated incident. She charges it all night, leaves for work and the stupid thing is down to 20% by 10am half the time.

Only by turning the screen way down and disabling everything is she able to get anything decent out of it.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Thunderbolt Thunderbolt Thunderbolt.

Most of the DX devs left for the Thunderbolt.. everything about the hardware is better. It has a better screen. 4G.

It's a no brainer especailly since it has a huge development community

shneeko6

Reaction score
Lol did someone really mention the charge? Its completely overpriced and the specs arent mind blowing. I would def take the tbolt over the charge, especially considering that you can get a tbolt on a upgrade for pretty cheap now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums