Droid X keyboard woes - Issues with using quotation marks.

bryanluvgod

Reaction score
Okay so...I have this issue with the way the Droid X is handling the input of quotation marks in any text field. It is driving me absolutely BONKERS!

Scenario:
I wish to type a text message to a friend. The message requires the use of quotation marks ("like this"). The issue I'm having is the way the software handles the use of quotation marks. If I just type along and don't look at the message and don't backspace anything, and I use quotation marks to cite something someone said, the text appears as follows:

Code:
Hey dude. I talked to Mike, and he says" We're still on for Saturday."

Now, at first glance, maybe you didn't realize the issue. So, let me explain. When I typed "says" and then explicitly entered a manual [SPACE] afterwards, and next tried to start my opening quotation mark, the phone decides that the opening quote needs to be a closing quote against the end of the word "says". This happens every single time I try to quote anything. To fix this, I always have to type the initial opening quote (which is automatically changed into a closing quote on the end of the previous word), backspace the [SPACE] and the quote, and then enter another manual [SPACE], and finally my opening quotation mark, just to get it going. Every time. And it's driving me bonkers, as previously stated.

I've checked every setting in this phone, hoping to find something to modify that will remedy this issue but it doesn't exist or I haven't found it yet. I've also noticed it happening with other symbols and punctuation. For instance, the dollar sign. It will also put that up against the previous word instead of acknowledging the manual [SPACE] I had put before it. It's like those symbols have been categorized as all being "punctuation" and the phone thinks "Sentences end with punctuation, auto correct that to go next to the previous word and ignore the [SPACE]."

I hope this has made sense to you guys. It really is the most annoying thing about it to me so far. I've downloaded and tried Swiftkey today. It does not contain the same bug, but I think I like everything else about the stock keyboard better. Not sure if I want to keep Swiftkey yet.

-Bryan

Dodongo X

Reaction score
I have the same problem. It does it with other characters, too. So far I've tested it positive with the following: @#$%&*-+!"/?,. The characters ()':; behave properly, as does everything I've tried on the alt page. I have autocorrect and auto punctuate turned off, too.

Nology

Reaction score
I noticed this problem with the $ not too long ago. Gets kind of annoying.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I never noticed before, so I did a little experimenting and easily reproduced the problem. I played with the settings and couldn't get it to stop either.

My suggestion, switch to the Swype keyboard. It behaves properly, and you don't have to actually use the Swype's gesture feature. It works just fine for thumb typing. Bonus, numbers and most punctuation are available with a simple long key press. Big time saver.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I just noticed this too and can confirm it happened to me after the 2.2 update. The input screens are a bit wonky too in that the 2.1 entry area was always visible above the keyboard but in 2.2 the keyboard now sometimes covers the entry area and I can't see what I'm typing.

Also, the 2.2 update does not seem to place that "target circle" where you touch to insert a missing letter or change your typing location. No indication seems to exist now. That's very strange. I also seem to see some odd behavior with selecting text to correct spelling. Maybe it just works different than 2.1 but it's definitely odd in my opinion.

Kevin

Twigg4075

Reaction score
I just noticed this too and can confirm it happened to me after the 2.2 update. The input screens are a bit wonky too in that the 2.1 entry area was always visible above the keyboard but in 2.2 the keyboard now sometimes covers the entry area and I can't see what I'm typing.

Also, the 2.2 update does not seem to place that "target circle" where you touch to insert a missing letter or change your typing location. No indication seems to exist now. That's very strange. I also seem to see some odd behavior with selecting text to correct spelling. Maybe it just works different than 2.1 but it's definitely odd in my opinion.

Kevin
Apparently Google isn't familiar with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra.

OP
B

bryanluvgod

Reaction score
Interesting comments everyone. Well, I've tried a few things and have a few potential workarounds, but none that I'm completely happy with.

After reading that single quotes aren't affected by this bug, I figured I could just use those instead. And that really will work for probably 99% of the time. This still doesn't account for all the other symbols that are plagued by the same bug though.

I also had the idea to turn off the "press space twice to get a period" option. Now, if I press space twice and then the quotation button, it doesn't mess with my quotation mark. But then I have this visibly larger gap (and one extra used character say for a limited text or tweet). Still, a very viable workaround for me. This option would also work for the other symbols having the same issue.

I also tried out the Swype keyboard again but I find that it doesn't come close to the multi-touch keyboard in word prediction and auto correction when it comes to thumb typing. I am a little torn though, because I kinda do like the actual Swype functionality so maybe if I use it more, i'll get more comfortable with it and use it always.

As for the target circle and its accuracy, I've actually been very impressed by what 2.2 has done with it. For me, that target is MUCH more responsive and accurate than it was before. Before 2.2, that target was one of my gripes, but not anymore.

Anyone else find their own alternatives/workarounds? I wish someone who is developing the stock applications of the Android software could see this kind of stuff we're talking about and perhaps get a fix released in an update. If anyone reading this knows someone, pass it along.

Regards,

Bryan

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
B

bryanluvgod

Reaction score
Do I have to be rooted to use an htc mod?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I've been reading great reviews on Swiftkey lately, so I decided to give it a try. After only five minute using it I think it's going to be my new default. It has the long press for numbers and symbols like Swype, which I like a lot. According to reviews it's text predication is excellent. Worked well for me in my, admittedly short, test.

It might be your answer. At any rate it is cheap enough that you won't have to delay retirement to give it a try.

Last edited:

BahamaMama77

Reaction score
Work-around

If you don't want to use Swype or install a different keyboard, here's a quick work-around that I just noticed for the weird spacing issue.

When you want to insert a quotation mark or other symbol, go into the symbol screen as usual. Then press "ALT" (left side of keyboard) twice. Choose the quotation mark (or other symbol) and it will insert the symbol AFTER the space.