Droid X Keyboard Autocorrect different than original Droid

mls21

Reaction score
So, I just upgraded from the original Droid to the Droid X, and I'm noticing a lot of differences in the autocorrect/autocomplete feature of the stock keyboard. Before, when I would type in "im" it would automatically correct it to "I'm". Also, with the Droid, I almost always had a word highlighted above the keyboard, so all I would do is hit space to autocomplete. That is much rarer on the Droid X. For example, if I had typed in "mak" in the Droid, it would have "make" highlighted. Then, if my next letter was an i (so maki) it would now think I wanted to type making. Seemed very intuitive before, but now it's not nearly as much.

Does anyone know if there is a way to update to be more like the original Droid in terms of autocomplete? I'm sure I can learn to hit the word above that I want instead of just hitting space, but I had gotten pretty quick at typing by knowing what the Droid wanted to complete it with.

OP
M

mls21

Reaction score
Actually, playing with it a bit more, it seems like it never auto-completes. It does auto-correct, so it will fix if I mistype. But it will never automatically complete a word I'm typing in. I either have to type the full word out or choose it from the list above.

Is there anyway to turn that on? There doesn't seem to be anything under the keyboard settings...

jmorton10

Reaction score
I have noticed that some keyboards in my X do the word prediction thing WAY better than others.

I really like Better KB 7 & 8, but I also use TouchPal. The word prediction in TouchPal is awesome, it totally sucks in Better KB for some reason. In Better KB for instance, if I type just the letter A, it ALWAYS turns it into an S (even if it's typed as a A in the middle of a sentence). TouchPal leaves it as the letter A as does the stock KB's.

~John

OP
M

mls21

Reaction score
Thanks. I messed around with Better Keyboard 08 a little, and like it. And I know it's only $2.99, but I have absolutely no problem with the stock keyboard except for the lack of auto-complete. It baffles me why they'd take this away - it was such a great feature and allows you to type so much faster. But I'm getting used to hitting the word suggestion above instead of the space bar...