Droid X keeps on shutting itself off

benr3600

Reaction score
So after the alarm clock stops working on my old Impression, and now I have to turn it off/on in order to send/receive texts on a daily basis, I have decided to get a new phone. POS AT&T won't let me upgrade after 14 months, and I've always wanted to try out an android phone after learning that you could DL emulators onto it, among other nice things.

Sooo, last Thursday I stop at the new Verizon store in town, and am basically pushed into the Droid X. I get it home, and it keeps turning itself off/on. Over the weekend I deleted every single thing I DLed, and when that didn't work, I did a factory reset. The result? Turning itself off 10 minutes after rebooting. Then the phone started to simply turn off without turning back on, and on Monday first thing I did was call the store and have them replace it.

Finally today, I spend 61 minutes at the store exchanging the phone, bring it home...and literally 5 minutes after getting through the door the things turns itself off. Needless to say, I psychologically put on the punching bags, looking for the nearest newborn baby to pummel.

What the phone/phones are doing: turning itself off/on, but ONLY when I'm NOT actually directly using the screen. Normally it happens when it is in sleep/black screen mode, but it has happened in the middle of a phone conversation, and when I'm walking with the radio/headset on. I played a game for 2.5 hours straight the other night, and no turn off at all. Then 5 minutes after I'm done playing, it turns off.

It sounds like others are having constant woes with refurbished phones. I personally think Verizon is a scummy company for putting a refurbished phone out on display without a single mention of it being a refurbished phone. The salesman even alluded to it in a circumlocutory fashion, making sure to never use the term "refurbished." I knew what the deal was, but didn't care much, because, like their plan was based on, I had already decided on the phone at that point. What are my options here? I really like the phone, but I really don't like them being total lemons out of the freaking box. :icon_evil:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is it going into sleep mode or turning off completely.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The setting out of the box is for it to go into sleep mode after like 1 min. You can go into settings, display, screen timeout and you can switch it to 30 mins or never.

OP
B

benr3600

Reaction score
Is it going into sleep mode or turning off completely.

Completely. It happens so fast, it will just be sitting, sleeping, and then the big "M" will show, and it goes through the long loading phase. It's as if it doesn't turn off at all; as if there was a reset button. The first phone would just turn off on the third day, period. Before that it would be sitting in my pocket, locked, and I'd feel the slight vibrate when the red droid eye is on while loading, pull it out, and sure enough it is rebooting.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ifs its constantly rebooting I think its time for another trip back to vzw.

trizek

Reaction score
My phone that was about 17 months old completely died. There was no reviving it. The Verizon store sent me a refurbished Droid x and it is doing the exact same thing. I called them and they are sending me another one since I don't have anything downloaded so there is nothing to reset. If the next one does this I am going to be extremely upset. It is doing the exact thing you describe. If I am using it, it stays on -- unless I am talking on it, then it turns off. Completely off and back on again. Sometimes it doesn't even turn on again. I am curious what is causing this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pc747 is right, a phone that is constanly reseting isn't good, but a factory data reset should at least be tried before going back to the Verizon store.

Heathenistic

Reaction score
Third Glitched Phone

My boyfriend is on his third Droid X. I've about had it with Verizon. All they say is, we'll send you another phone and every time, as soon as he turns it on, it turns itself off over and over and over again. He's about to throw it at the wall and buy a brand new one. I don't understand what's going on with the refurbished phones but something needs to happen and quick because this is just downright ridiculous. He didn't pay hundreds of dollars on a phone and another hundred dollars a month for a phone that doesn't freaking work. We were told that there is a software update coming out within the next few days so hopefully that fixes these problems that everyone has been having. If it doesn't, I am going back to Verizon and not leaving until he gets a brand new phone and not another refurbished piece of crap.