Droid X - GPS issue

DroooiiidX

Reaction score
I could NOT figure out why in the world my X was being so weird. The GPS flat out stopped working about 2 weeks ago. After much frustration I stumbled across a thread that said to remove the battery cover. I was amazed that GPS signal was almost instant and all the other weird things my phone was doing stopped (like not playing the ringtone when a new message is received, lagging, etc.).

I have attached pictures of what my door looks like, is the damage just above and left of "ONLY" what you talking about stewywarf?

I tried a little piece of tape over it but I just re-taped it more and am going to try that. When I tried the single piece of tape it wouldn't find gps signal and as soon as I took my door off it worked immediately, CRAZY! I bet LOTS of people are having this problem and have no idea why.

View attachment 49788

View attachment 49789

View attachment 49790

apstang50

Reaction score
This seems like a very common problem. I'm having a bunch of stange problems rescently with my X, besides the gps taking for ever time find a satalite to the keyboard freezing. I just took my battery cover off and I have the same spot as everyone else that is having issues. It's strange though I just tried my gps and it worked instantly, but as soon as I get out of my house it takes forever to find a satalite.

DroooiiidX

Reaction score
Apstang, I am curious if you are still having the issue.

I am still rocking my X without a battery door cover and it has been working perfectly. GPS is still better than even when the phone was new, get better wifi signal, everything.

apstang50

Reaction score
Yah I'm still having the issue but it's not as bad. I've tried everything nothing really seamed to help. I've been told that this issue is mainly being caused by the work they are doing in my area to get 4g to my area. I'm starting to have other issues with the phone. When I renew my contract in a few months I'm just gonna get a new phone.

cmbuening

Reaction score
I have not had GPS on my Droid X for 7 MONTHS now. I've tried calling Motorola for help and after a very frustrating hour on the phone and NO FIX I just haven't used my GPS or navigation system and it's sucked. I just tried taking the battery cover off and it had a signal within seconds!!!! I am a lurker on these forums, I've never had a profile but I signed up for one just to be able to say THANK YOU for the tip, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

myronq

Reaction score
I figured it out by piecing together forum posts across the Internet and I found others having similar problems.

I had 4 phones sent back to Verizon and I had many frustrating conversation with Verizon representatives who many of them thought I was crazy and imagining things. I kept telling them that it had to be my battery or my battery door cover because those were the only two items that remained constant whenever they sent me a new phone

I'm so upset with the way I was treated. I figured out their droid x gps battery cover issue and I get nothing from customer service for all of my frustration.
-----------
My girlfriend and I got lost suddenly on Sunday afternoon, on our way to look at a school for our grad degrees. I pulled out my trusty Droid X and to my surprise; you know the rest. I was totally taken back when I came across the battery cove explanation.
I also registered, just to thank you for figuring this out.

PerpleXd

Reaction score
No real fix in sight

Trouble with taking the back off... it's not right! Did try doing all sorts of things to my cover to alleviate supposed grounding issues. Nothing worked. Bought a new back. Nothing.
Finally did what I should have done some time ago. Complained to both Motorola and Verizon about the issue.
And guess what? No one had any clue as what to do and blamed the other for either hardware or software issues.

I've tried everything but rooting back to the original OS version, but after seeing the date on several posts all over forums, I've concluded that it wasn't Gingerbread, but just Moto defective equipment that has no answer unless you are still under warranty or extended warranty.

The best answer I've seen so far is get a new phone, and not an X.

Trouble is, I now don't trust Moto and am looking for a better alternative with great GPS from Verizon. Haven't heard any really good, qualified recommendations other than knowing an HTC in my family has worked so much better than mine.

Suggestions?