Droid went for a swim! Is it toast?

Karunamon

Reaction score
Consider this official notification to NOT get the holster combo that Verizon sells! The POS belt buckle on it is responsible for dropping my Droid into a puddle. I got it out within 5 seconds, ripped the case off, disconnected the battery, got the outside with a paper towel, and tossed the phone and the battery into a tupperware container full of rice.

Welp. It's two days later. Phone seems dry.

I put the battery in (it wad dead, anyways) and plug the phone in. Salvation! The droid logo comes up... :icon_ lala:

and stays up....

and vibrates a time or two

and goes black.

:icon_eek:

Yank the battery and try again..

The camera LED comes on :blink:

Goes out again.. then.. nothing.

Currently, my Droid is completely inert if plugged in while the battery is inserted. If you try with the battery out, the white led next to the usb port flickers on and off about twice a second.

I take that to mean this phone is toast, and unrecoverable?

Welp. That leads me to my next question.

I'm in the market for a new android phone. I less-than-three the Droid, it's my favorite phone of all time. I'd buy a new one if necessary.. but I thought I'd ask if there are any newer ones out there that people recommend.

I've eliminated a few of the obvious choices straight off.

* Incredible
No Keyboard.

* Droid X
No keyboard.

* LG Ally
Screwed up keyboard (Z X C V -space- B N M). Why couldn't they have lengthened the phone by a couple of centimeters and added another row!?

Basically, I *need* my keyboard. Half of the games on my droid are emulated through Gameboid and the like, and having a touch screen only isn't going to cut it. Even swype isn't quite good enough.

Any ideas, folks? Thanks!

techguru

Reaction score
With keyboard as a requirement, Moto Droid is your current best choice. There will be a Droid 2 with faster processor and improved keyboard, but I haven't heard a reliable release date.

I assume you did not opt for insurance? If you did, get a replacement Droid, and wait for the "2" or something even better later this year (our you can try to get a used one on ebay).

Alan

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good chance you can get a used one from verizon or get a used one from someone looking to upgrade theirs.

I've got another year with my droid and feel like you. This thing just keeps on rocking. If the X can't be rooted we might even see Android 3 on it whereas other phones might not. We may at least see pieces of android 3 if not all of it.

OP
K

Karunamon

Reaction score
Trying to turn it back on is what most likely fried it.....

Have a read here...http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/8539-how-deal-droid-thats-gotten-wet-right-way.html

GAH... cursed by my own impatience. Nuts. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's dead, then. Is there any way to retrieve the contents of the internal (non-SD) memory without having the phone powered up? Seems like a long shot. I have most everything titanium backup'd, so that shouldn't be a huge deal. Hell, the most annoying part is going to be redoing my rooting and subsequent customizations.

I'm not even looking at something that isn't Android based right now. I was looking at the Pre for all of two seconds, before I reminded myself that the Pre probably can't be jailbroken, doesn't have my games, has a lame keyboard, and most importantly is probably a pain in the ass to sync with Google services.

So the original Droid it is. WHAT'S OLD IS NEW AGAIN! dancedroid

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Is there any way to retrieve the contents of the internal (non-SD) memory without having the phone powered up?

Not that I know of...