OG droid toast

Rocky_Droid

Reaction score
So my original droid is finally toast. After losing many keys on the keyboard, the front speaker going out, the screen only working in certain differing positions, random deletion of all text messages, and an anibility to realize my finger is using the touch screen no matter how many times I turned the screen on and off. (couldn't unlock)

So it's dead now, it will turn on but no screen comes up or touch screen feedback is there. I know it turns on cause it flashes the green light sometimes and i can hear the sound for notifications.

I guess my question is, what can I do about it? My upgrade isn't for another 60 days...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wonder if it's hardware failure or user treatment. My launch day Droid is still near mint condition.

You're gonna have to grab another smartphone to hold you over for 60 days, maybe you got some friends with an older one lying around?

Other than that, seems like you'll have to buy full retail or try to convince VZW to upgrade you 60 days early.

TyrantII

Reaction score
time to hit up ebay for

2009-11-24_motodynatac.jpg

(Really, I got an old nokia 6210 for like $5 and it did the job for 40 days until my NE2 came around)

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My wifes Original Droid crapped out last week, same thing, no screen display. It turns on but nothing on the screen. They DID offer me an early upgrade, our next one is available in September.

laxamar

Reaction score
Did you buy the insurance? For $5/month (now $6) you are eligible a replacement fom asurion. They charged me $50 for the replacement. All in all, came to $100 but I had a phone.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you call VZ im sure they will work with you. You should see if you have insurance or extended warrenty. If not then im sure they will offer an early upgrade. Whwn you call they will give you your options.

OP
R

Rocky_Droid

Reaction score
I do have insurance but didn't feel like spendign 50 bucks when I'll be able to get a new one soon.

I went to the store planning on just activating my old LG env but then when I learned I couldn't keep my unlimited plan for later I went ahead and got the droid 3. Used a different lines upgrade... Mine was still two months to early soo it worked out I guess

I gotta say, coming from the original droid this thing is AMAZING. Keyboard is much better, huge screen, awesome games, smart phoneness being smarter.

Just can't wait to experience having about half the battery life.. haha :p

TyrantII

Reaction score
Did you buy the insurance? For $5/month (now $6) you are eligible a replacement fom asurion. They charged me $50 for the replacement. All in all, came to $100 but I had a phone.

What a waste of money.