Droids can't swim ---> bootloader screen

mdnt

Reaction score
Short(ish) version: my Droid took a dunk today. I took it apart and dried it out the best I could, then put it back together and turned it on. (Yes, I now know this was a mistake.) It came up on the "bootloader" screen. This phone was NOT "rooted", and I am NOT a programmer and don't want to be. I now have the Droid pulled apart and drying; if I get that same screen when I put it back together, is there an EASY way to get it back to working normally? Or am I better off to eat the $89 deductible and have the insurance replace it?

More details: I dried the phone out as best I could, then put it back together and turned it on. I had a black screen for a few seconds, then the white Moto logo for a few seconds, then black, then logo ... this went on for a couple of minutes. It eventually did load, but had no signal and, oddly, my Google Calendar widget was not working (but other apps appeared to be). I have recently had the familiar "no sound after headphones" trouble and also some trouble with my bluetooth; in both cases, shutting the phone off and then re-starting it solved the problem. So I tried that this time, but when it came back up I got the "bootloader -- battery ok -- ok to program" screen.

Is there hope? Or should I just get on the phone with Assurion? (I've had the phone a whopping six weeks ... never did this to the cheapo flip phones I've used for years!!! :icon_cussing: )

johall07

Reaction score
Short(ish) version: my Droid took a dunk today. I took it apart and dried it out the best I could, then put it back together and turned it on. (Yes, I now know this was a mistake.) It came up on the "bootloader" screen. This phone was NOT "rooted", and I am NOT a programmer and don't want to be. I now have the Droid pulled apart and drying; if I get that same screen when I put it back together, is there an EASY way to get it back to working normally? Or am I better off to eat the $89 deductible and have the insurance replace it?

More details: I dried the phone out as best I could, then put it back together and turned it on. I had a black screen for a few seconds, then the white Moto logo for a few seconds, then black, then logo ... this went on for a couple of minutes. It eventually did load, but had no signal and, oddly, my Google Calendar widget was not working (but other apps appeared to be). I have recently had the familiar "no sound after headphones" trouble and also some trouble with my bluetooth; in both cases, shutting the phone off and then re-starting it solved the problem. So I tried that this time, but when it came back up I got the "bootloader -- battery ok -- ok to program" screen.

Is there hope? Or should I just get on the phone with Assurion? (I've had the phone a whopping six weeks ... never did this to the cheapo flip phones I've used for years!!! :icon_cussing: )

all i know is in my eyes, water and electronics = get a new one i wouldnt even have bothered to try and dry it cause i think they cover stuff like that

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually....maybe bring it in first, see what the store says. Then try the second option above if it seems worthwhile to you. I only say that because you say you don't want to be a programmer.....but alot of this rooting stuff isn't so much programming as following the steps on how to get your TV to display the channels you want and not display the ones you don't. And that isn't always everyone's cup of tea either!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Pay the $89 and end the misery of having to deal with a phone that is not going come back to 100%. I would assume that turning it on while it was still wet probably caused little short circuits here and there. The $89 will get you a thoroughly tested and refurbished phone. In fact, it may not be as old as the one you cruelly drowned. :)

johall07

Reaction score

Pay the $89 and end the misery of having to deal with a phone that is not going come back to 100%. I would assume that turning it on while it was still wet probably caused little short circuits here and there. The $89 will get you a thoroughly tested and refurbished phone. In fact, it may not be as old as the one you cruelly drowned. :)

lol maybe if you tell them it got smashed and wet you wont have to put it back togther (and i know mods have a field day with insurance fraud posts this is only a joke im not saying to say it was smashed to get the insurance)

OP
M

mdnt

Reaction score
Thanks for the links and responses. Sounds like this month's lunch money is going to pay the deductible ... :sad: