Droid touch screen freaking out

drust

Reaction score
only time lisa you should go back to Verizon and see if moto will ship a replacement....if its rooted make it stock

lisajulia

Reaction score
Thanks

I am out of warranty and i am not techie enough to understand the importance of rooting lol!
I did put the battery back in this morning and it helped to at least retrieve my vm. It's still not as responsive as it should be but i think there is definitely a link between humidity and heat. (heat index here in VA was 103 the last couple days). I am not sure when i am eligible to upgrade but now i am afraid of touch phones and will get the insurance next time too i think. I am open to any other suggestions on this problem. I don't think the battery sitting out overnight and pulling it in and out is optimal LOL!

drust

Reaction score
my experience is when the sensor starts going there are no true fix. just bandages the help it out. next step for you would be phantom fingers

lisajulia

Reaction score
oh well...what a bummer...i sooooo don't want to spend on another phone =( thanks for helping out.

techRob

Reaction score
I've returned 2 phones because of this....phone 1: had for around a year-ish (Feb/Mar '10 - Feb / Mar '11) ... Phone 2 (100% stock), lasted until about early / mid May. Same issue: freaking out like it was possessed.

My two cents: DEFINITELY hardware issue. Why? Well, after trying to get into the "privacy" area to do a factory reset thru there for about 10-20min, I got very ticked off. Like any true IT person, I took the device, slammed it face-down a couple times on the table, and low n behold, the buttons / screen responded to my touch - albeit it still fought me.

So there's my reasoning that it's a hardware issue - nothing to do with charging or condensation. (background: I would actually leave it sitting on the table all day - normal temp (68-ish?) / humidity ... also it would still spazz out when the keyboard was slid out). Oh, btw, the reason I tried to do a factory reset via "Privacy" is because I couldn't any other way - the VZW rep couldn't either...after playing with it for 5-10min he was ready to give up, as he couldn't even get passed the slider screen (you couldn't just touch n slide...you had to slap n slide..lol)

okay...my two cents...

If you have insurance, bring it in, show a rep what's up...make sure you're not rooted, etc.. as they ARE QUICK to blame it on a software issue - even tho the issue still persists after rebooting.

I wish i had seen this post the last two times I went in. I would have printed it and brought it with me.

jmonty

Reaction score
I've returned 2 phones because of this....phone 1: had for around a year-ish (Feb/Mar '10 - Feb / Mar '11) ... Phone 2 (100% stock), lasted until about early / mid May. Same issue: freaking out like it was possessed.

My two cents: DEFINITELY hardware issue. Why? Well, after trying to get into the "privacy" area to do a factory reset thru there for about 10-20min, I got very ticked off. Like any true IT person, I took the device, slammed it face-down a couple times on the table, and low n behold, the buttons / screen responded to my touch - albeit it still fought me.

So there's my reasoning that it's a hardware issue - nothing to do with charging or condensation. (background: I would actually leave it sitting on the table all day - normal temp (68-ish?) / humidity ... also it would still spazz out when the keyboard was slid out). Oh, btw, the reason I tried to do a factory reset via "Privacy" is because I couldn't any other way - the VZW rep couldn't either...after playing with it for 5-10min he was ready to give up, as he couldn't even get passed the slider screen (you couldn't just touch n slide...you had to slap n slide..lol)

okay...my two cents...

If you have insurance, bring it in, show a rep what's up...make sure you're not rooted, etc.. as they ARE QUICK to blame it on a software issue - even tho the issue still persists after rebooting.

I wish i had seen this post the last two times I went in. I would have printed it and brought it with me.

mine is sitting in a shoe box worthless paper weight

ghdesign

Reaction score
wow... this is weird. :blink: I started having this exact same issue a few days ago after updating several apps. I was certain it was a software issue but it turned out it was just a coincidence.

I didn't think to look anything up online but after experiencing every single issue listed on this thread I ultimately backed up my data, re-formatted the micro SD card, deleted all user data and did a factory reset of the phone. Still had the same problems on the default phone with NO apps added. It even started messing with me as I was activating it. :huh:

The problems I had before are exactly like those listed already. I would be sending a text and suddenly it starts typing on it's own: "ommook.kk.nmoo.n.nomomm.m.j.k.k..mm.o." etc. :icon_eek: The whole right (4th) column would be unresponsive to touch and the bottom buttons (back, menu, home and search) were also unresponsive. Phantom touches, clicking my quick-dial shortcuts and calling my sister at 2am (oops). At this point it was essentially (as someone else already stated) nothing more than a paperweight. :mad:

All of this prompted me to go to my local Verizon store first thing yesterday morning to see if they could help me figure out what direction I needed to go with it. I wasn't stressing because I still have my old BB Pearl if I needed a temporary. The Verizon employee examined my phone and experienced the same issues I was describing. They immediately looked at my account to see what options were available. It turned out that I was covered on the extended warranty and due to the hardware defect, as determined by the employee, I was able to get a replacement phone, free of charge. Best part - NO deductible! dancedroid which is what I was worried about the whole time. They said it'd be shipped FedEx 2-day. Can't beat that. :)

I don't remember signing up for the extended warranty, but I'm VERY glad I did. I knew I was paying for insurance... but this was such a relief to learn.

I think this has to be some sort of manufacturer defect and nothing to do with the weather. Some people on here mentioned things about moisture and humidity. Not sure that could be the case because I bought the phone in December 2009 and have lived through 18 months of hot and humid weather here in Houston, TX and never had any issues until 3 days ago. I hope no-one will believe the reports of it having to do with humidity or moisture. It started doing this in my very dry and air-conditioned apartment and I never had any phone issues since I purchased it. I think something internal just wore out. It may very well be that simple. Either way, all of these reports on the phone issues is quite disconcerting. :unsure:

Anyway, I logged on here today for the first time in months and was shocked to see this topic on the front page. This whole time I thought it was just me. I'm available for an upgrade in 2 months. Can't wait!! :yahoo:

bukinut

Reaction score
As I said on previous pages, if your screen is 'freaking out' it has nothing to do with what you downloaded, heat, dropped in toilet, etc... The problem is a faulty touch screen and there is NOTHING you can do to fix it.

I used my upgrade eligibility to get a Droid X (don't have 4G coverage where I live) Touch screen is different than Droid Brick 1.0 - it isn't glass, but very responsive thus far. So if your screen is going crazy, it's done. I powered my Droid up after 1 month and a charge so kids could play games and it freaked out again, so I threw it out my window.

btb103

Reaction score
FYI the "phantom" touch screen issue happened to me as well. It started a few months ago for me, it happened mostly intermittently but it had gotten worse recently. A few days ago my phone's battery discharged completely and when I turned it back on the radio no longer works (no service, period) and flashing a new rom did nothing - I don't know if this had anything to do with the touch screen issue but I'm convinced they are both purely hardware issues. Now I have to use my sister's old Droid Eris until Verizon comes out with a decent new phone.

Noodle

Reaction score
I have the original Motorola Droid and it is acting possessed just like everyone else on this thread! About a month ago, a thin strip along the right edge of the touch screen had gone dead, but I was still able to use the phone. Now it's pretty much worthless.

I want to get a new phone but not sure which one to get. Is this specifically a Motorola issue? I don't want to get another phone and have the same thing happen again. Also, I really like the slide-out qwerty keyboard but I don't think there are many Verizon options for that.

flyer05

Reaction score
Wow this sucks. Two weeks to my upgrade and my phone is doing this also. Almost made it 2 years.

Noodle

Reaction score
Hey, I found a way to make my phone usable in another thread here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/152485-advice-best-droid-buy-verizon-2.html

I installed the Invisible Lock Widget and now it's not freaking out anymore. Part of my problem is that I couldn't unlock my phone because there was a dead zone on the touch screen, but sliding out the keyboard forced it into landscape mode and I was able to unlock the phone and quickly install the app.

I don't really understand what that Widget does, but all I know is that I can use my phone again like normal. This is such a relief! I'm not due for an upgrade until next month and I'd like to wait for new phones...

0x1a4

Reaction score
Mine just started doing the same thing. Did a factory reset and it was OK for a day or so, then flipped out again. I have the Best Buy service plan or whatever it's called, so I dropped it off today. Don't know if they'll tell me exactly what was wrong, but hopefully it'll be fixed.

0x1a4

Reaction score
So Best Buy 'black tie' insurance paid off! Just picked up a replacement phone, no more wiggy screen. And I never buy the extended warranty... except this time..