Droid touch screen freaking out

jmonty

Reaction score
I would like to see a poll of how many people have lost their D1 to this issue?

I now have a TB

waldo913

Reaction score
Some observations:

I've been having the crazy phantom touchscreen freakout screen issue for 2 days now, off and on. I read what Steve H mentioned about the protective plastic coating behind the screen causing the issue, however in my case, that plastic coating has been removed for months.

Additionally, my phone first started exhibiting this issue when sitting in a cool, dry environment, and humidity/temperature do not seem to impact the frequency of the problem, therefore I do not believe these to be the root cause.

I do, however occasionally use aftermarket chargers, and one of my original chargers has a wiring issue where it will sometimes carry a very poor connection through to the phone, causing moments of extremely rapid connect/disconnects.

In my opinion, problems with inconsistent charging and/or voltage seem to be the most likely culprit in catalyzing this behavior, however, based on the frequency and volume of users having this problem, I do believe there to be an inherent flaw in the D1's design.

jmonty

Reaction score
I've been having the crazy phantom touchscreen freakout screen issue for 2 days now, off and on. I read what Steve H mentioned about the protective plastic coating behind the screen causing the issue, however in my case, that plastic coating has been removed for months.

Additionally, my phone first started exhibiting this issue when sitting in a cool, dry environment, and humidity/temperature do not seem to impact the frequency of the problem, therefore I do not believe these to be the root cause.

I do, however occasionally use aftermarket chargers, and one of my original chargers has a wiring issue where it will sometimes carry a very poor connection through to the phone, causing moments of extremely rapid connect/disconnects.

In my opinion, problems with inconsistent charging and/or voltage seem to be the most likely culprit in catalyzing this behavior, however, based on the frequency and volume of users having this problem, I do believe there to be an inherent flaw in the D1's design.

I would tend to agree, I live in the wet pacific North West but no protective cover or after market chargers.

But I was unable to continue to use the phone and had to make a switch to the TB

kmckis1029

Reaction score
im on my third droid... first two had the same issue... first droid was replaced for free, second droid i paid a $50 fee from insurance. I been trying to hold out for a dual core droid, hopefully this droid will make it to the fall.

everything ive read of this thread only fixed it temparly for me. i noticed the plastic cover on the back, sliding out the keyboard, power cycling, and making sure not to use an after market charger; neither of these stopped the problem in my last two droids.

id love to know the cause of this problem.

exodus125

Reaction score
not 100% sure, bt ive had this happen a few times and all times ive either had my face sweaty (talking while walking on a hot day) or my hands dirty and or wet. The problem seems to be caused by moisture and even though you remove the battery and let it sit for a while it wont help. Ive even reformatted my phone and the problem wont go away until several hours after the problem starts. It may be an app but ive noticed it ALWAYS (at least with me) occurs when moisture is around. its a big problem though in case of an emergency you may not be able to use the phone to call for help.

drust

Reaction score
im droppin my 2 cents....

i had my rooted moto droid1 running stock and or any random rom/kernal

verizon stood behind the phone(just flash it back...COMPLETELY BACK to stock!!!
the zip files are out there. (i did a wipe while i was at it so no personal data)

verizon gave me no problem said i was within manufacture warranty

hope your droid gets replaced

jmonty

Reaction score
im droppin my 2 cents....

i had my rooted moto droid1 running stock and or any random rom/kernal

verizon stood behind the phone(just flash it back...COMPLETELY BACK to stock!!!
the zip files are out there. (i did a wipe while i was at it so no personal data)

verizon gave me no problem said i was within manufacture warranty

hope your droid gets replaced

How long is the Motto warranty? I have had the phone 14 months

drust

Reaction score
Dont quote me on it but i think it was 2yrs