Droid Technical Issue Summary

jwd45244

Reaction score
Here is a quick summary of some of the technical issues that are related to the Droid:

1) No Voice and Data at the same time

If this is a deal breaker for you, then not only is this phone not for you but Version is not for you. Work-around: If WiFi is available (like at you favorite Mc Restaurant) data can use it while you are on a voice call.

2) No Voice Dialing through Bluetooth

Apparently you have to voice dial Through the Droid mic and then push the bluetooth "button" on the phone

3) No dedicated call and end hard buttons on the phone

This is something we will have to get used to. Personally, i will give up my dedicated buttons for a larger screen.
smile.gif

4) No "Pinch-Zoom"

This was not implemented in the browser, yet. The speculation is that the powers that be did not want to run into Apple's legal caims surrounding the name and or use of that gesture. <I am sure that this will be resolved, soon>

5) Slide out Keyboard

Some people hate it and some don't. It is something we will have to get used to, I guess

6) Not a "world" phone

This phone is a CDMA only phone, no GSM.

Are there others? Sure there are. I wanted to quickly summarize what we have learned.

Hope this helps

J

JohnDroid

Good Summary, we will be sure to add more in this thread. the Non GSM is kind of a pain as I travel out of country quite a bit but will keep two phones for now to switch between.

I'm hoping that I really like the keyboard as that is a must for me.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nice points. the only thing i would disagree with is the lack of GSM being a negative.. verizon's roaming charges are simply astronomical in other countries. it is cheaper to buy a prepaid phone across the pond than to pay what verizon charges. it IS however, a negative to business users who MUST have the same device...

thanks for the write-up, and welcome to the machine!

ebean

Reaction score
Good Summary, we will be sure to add more in this thread. the Non GSM is kind of a pain as I travel out of country quite a bit but will keep two phones for now to switch between.

I'm hoping that I really like the keyboard as that is a must for me.
same for me with the keyboard. we get a gsm from verizon when we travel and with the droid having wifi, i'll be able to get email when in europe.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick summary of some of the technical issues that are related to the Droid:

1) No Voice and Data at the same time

If this is a deal breaker for you, then not only is this phone not for you but Version is not for you. Work-around: If WiFi is available (like at you favorite Mc Restaurant) data can use it while you are on a voice call.

2) No Voice Dialing through Bluetooth

Apparently you have to voice dial Through the Droid mic and then push the bluetooth "button" on the phone

3) No dedicated call and end hard buttons on the phone

This is something we will have to get used to. Personally, i will give up my dedicated buttons for a larger screen.
smile.gif

4) No "Pinch-Zoom"

This was not implemented in the browser, yet. The speculation is that the powers that be did not want to run into Apple's legal caims surrounding the name and or use of that gesture. <I am sure that this will be resolved, soon>

5) Slide out Keyboard

Some people hate it and some don't. It is something we will have to get used to, I guess

6) Not a "world" phone

This phone is a CDMA only phone, no GSM.

Are there others? Sure there are. I wanted to quickly summarize what we have learned.

Hope this helps

1st. It's nice to see you over here too ;). the biggest negative for some is no GSM. The ther stuff you'll/i learn how to use it the way you can. It's not like my Storm doesn't have it's own issues :rolleyes:. As ar as voice dialing and bluettooth. It barely orks on the storm either and it is an included function ;)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of voice dialing, because most of the time it never works that good and then when it does you still have to confirm that's the number you wanted to dial like 2-3 times. No GSM, i'm ok with because i will rarely leave this country. No Voice and Data at the same time is ok, I don't do it now and i've lived this long so.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
no cdma can do voice and data at the same time BUT with the added wi-fi the end user is good to go as the OP pointed out. So that is a non-issue...

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
no cdma can do voice and data at the same time BUT with the added wi-fi the end user is good to go as the OP pointed out. So that is a non-issue...

Yep. All good for me on that. WIFI at work and home and most places I go.

moparharn

Reaction score
Will I have issues using my SYNC feature on my Ford Flex. I voice dial from SYNC all the time and hope that my phone music and phone can be used with it. Anyone see potential problems?

OP
J

jwd45244

Reaction score
Will I have issues using my SYNC feature on my Ford Flex. I voice dial from SYNC all the time and hope that my phone music and phone can be used with it. Anyone see potential problems?

Based upon a quick look on google search, SYNC uses Bluetooth. As I listed, Voice dialing via Bluetooth is not supported. You can voice dial using the Droid mic and continue the call via bluetooth.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just seems like a weird thing to leave off the droid, voice dialing is not exactly new, and alot of people use it.

moparharn

Reaction score
Ford sync

This is a major drawback for me. I like the Ford Sync and I want my hands free. With all the law changes going on country wide against cell phone use while driving, why the heck would Motorola leave this feature out. Giant strike against the Droid as far as I am concerned. The Ford Sync requires you to push a buttom at your thumb on the steering wheel, from then on you just talk to the car. This really sucks!:mad:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the voice dial something that could be added with an update?

Theoretically yes. I firmware update could add supprt for it. I wouldn't freak over this. I would ask to take it outside an try it first. Maybe he will be pleasently surprised ;)

bassic83

Reaction score
The voice dial function should be implemented soon after product launch, I'd think...could GoogleVoice be used to do this? Seems to me someone will have a script for this within a week...