Droid Technical Issue Summary

_33

Reaction score
It's not even close to a deal breaker for me. From what I have read, the speaker is loud and clear. It would be nice to have a handsfree way of dialing/answering though.

xjman349

Reaction score
Good Summary, we will be sure to add more in this thread. the Non GSM is kind of a pain as I travel out of country quite a bit but will keep two phones for now to switch between.

I'm hoping that I really like the keyboard as that is a must for me.
same for me with the keyboard. we get a gsm from verizon when we travel and with the droid having wifi, i'll be able to get email when in europe.

Yes it is a bit annoying the droid doesnt support GSM, however verizon wireless has a program called Global Travel Program if you are traveling out of the country and your phone wont work in that location we will send you out a phone to use while you are on your trip free of charge (except charges you will receive from making and or receiving calls):)

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Good Summary, we will be sure to add more in this thread. the Non GSM is kind of a pain as I travel out of country quite a bit but will keep two phones for now to switch between.

I'm hoping that I really like the keyboard as that is a must for me.
same for me with the keyboard. we get a gsm from verizon when we travel and with the droid having wifi, i'll be able to get email when in europe.

Yes it is a bit annoying the droid doesnt support GSM, however verizon wireless has a program called Global Travel Program if you are traveling out of the country and your phone wont work in that location we will send you out a phone to use while you are on your trip free of charge (except charges you will receive from making and or receiving calls):)

Now this is something I didn't know Verizon Offered. Thanks for that Info !!!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow that's actually a really cool program, though I still support the idea, if your going to use the phone alot, just buy a pre-paid one over seas, it most likely would be alot cheaper (if your going to use it alot).

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I don't think you can just call simultaneous voice/data a non-issue. It means that when you need to route/GPS, you'll probably have to cut off the call. Sure, there may be caching of the GPS route on Google navigation, but there could easily be a time you'd need the Net back.

Also, there's no voice while tethering.

I don't consider this a dealbreaker just because I'd rather have 3G and no voice than 2G and no voice (ATT). But if ATT's coverage matched Verizon's, then it would definitely be superior.

OP
J

jwd45244

Reaction score
I don't think you can just call simultaneous voice/data a non-issue. It means that when you need to route/GPS, you'll probably have to cut off the call. Sure, there may be caching of the GPS route on Google navigation, but there could easily be a time you'd need the Net back.

Also, there's no voice while tethering.

I don't consider this a dealbreaker just because I'd rather have 3G and no voice than 2G and no voice (ATT). But if ATT's coverage matched Verizon's, then it would definitely be superior.

Did you read the first post? It is not about the phone.

It is the Network. Verizon cannot do voice and data at the same time with any phone. It is a limitation of CDMA as it is currently implemented.

There is a brand new engineering spec (CDMA2009) that has a new way of handling this. In order to implement it it will require changes to the tower gear and phones. Verizon is going to implement LTE instead.

If you want that capability (voice and data at same time) and want an Android phone the only alternative is T-Mobile in the US at this time.

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I apologize for not quoting. I was not responding to you, but the 7th post:

"no cdma can do voice and data at the same time BUT with the added wi-fi the end user is good to go as the OP pointed out. So that is a non-issue..."

I disagreed with him that it is a non-issue and explained why. I'm well aware of the CDMA technical limitations, and since I use an iPhone, I know what it is like to use voice+data at the same time, and I know what it is like to be on 2G (very common for me on ATT) and need to use the map and have to hang up the call.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
So what would happen if you are in the car using the Droid Google Navigation app and a call came in? Would you get an indication that there is a call coming in and have to shut down navigation to answer it or would you never know there was a call and have it go straight to voicemail?

dean.collins

Reaction score
So what would happen if you are in the car using the Droid Google Navigation app and a call came in? Would you get an indication that there is a call coming in and have to shut down navigation to answer it or would you never know there was a call and have it go straight to voicemail?

Basically your data will stop working.

I agree CDMA sucks.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I agree CDMA sucks.

What happens is once you are done with the call, it will resume the map and driving directions.

JoeFresco

Reaction score
We should give CDMA props for one thing. The range is at least 50% better than GSM on a per tower basis. I'm not sure why, but something about GSM makes it get lower range. This means ATT has to raise more towers for the same coverage or have more dead spots (both of which are true out in Kansas)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We should give CDMA props for one thing. The range is at least 50% better than GSM on a per tower basis. I'm not sure why, but something about GSM makes it get lower range. This means ATT has to raise more towers for the same coverage or have more dead spots (both of which are true out in Kansas)

If i remember correctly it has something to do with the frequency band that GSM uses in it's technology. While *Edited*wosre technology the limitations on service are very clear.

Last edited:

xjman349

Reaction score
Cdma is a better technology than gsm. Experts agree. Google it :)

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

I agree CDMA sucks.

What happens is once you are done with the call, it will resume the map and driving directions.

I don't think this is too bad. Beats missing the call altogether. I currently have a Garmin and I answer my phonecallls through it using bluetooth, but this should be good enough. Thanks for the info!

ToddP0530

Reaction score
Isn't the title of this post misleading? How can there be technical issues on a device that's not out yet? Technical issues implies there's something wrong (a hiccup) with the droid. I'm sure there will be issues, but we don't know them yet. Anything else at this point isn't a technical issue as much as it's by design. Yes?