Droid Razr screen problem on the Droid Razr Maxx HD?

MroidDan

Reaction score
I bought the Droid Razr last November and found out that in a dark room, with a dark webpage loaded (or screen saver), you can see black smudges or dots on the screen that almost seem "blacker" than the black background. It's not really a deal killer (because how often am I really in that situation?), but I'd like to know if the Droid Razr Maxx HD has the same problem with their screen.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I have not noticed this on the HD... It used to drive me nuts on the RAZR MAXX too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

dan.dar

Reaction score
It's an issue with HD amoled screen (and OG Razr QHD amoled). If you search for it, you'll find the same issues noted on GNex and S3. I tested for it on Razr M and it just as my old Fascinate and my wife's Droid Charge are flawless. I hope they can fix it by my next upgrade time, but with race to 1080P which HTC DLX will come with, I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have the maxx HD.. and I have spots on my screen at low light with a dark screen.. as ^^^ said... just part of the amoled screen :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Long known problem, apparently due to the application of adhesive they use to affix the display back to the motherboard. In some phones (like mine for instance), the marks appear as patterns like circles or lines, where others simply see either splotches or random dots and smears of various sizes.

IMG_3149.jpgdsc_0387qw86n.jpg

razr_maxx_damaged_screen.jpgSNC00262.jpg
2mmxmxu.jpg

and...

https://forums.motorola.com/files/c3e6f560ee/RAZR_screen.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yAJKhyeOGXc/TtyY3GxRN9I/AAAAAAAAAB0/OGxdY1byccA/s1600/DSC07594.JPG

As posted in another thread, here's where it gets interesting...the information I am finding says SAMSUNG manufactures these displays (note at the bottom the SONY PSP Vita), and many of these have reported problems similar to those we're discussing:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea...its hit or miss if you will have them or not. I have them on my RAZR from last year and PS Vita. My Maxx HD doesnt have them. And my Vita looks worse than my RAZR from last year.....I need to break down and start saying orig RAZR..lol

Yea...its an Amoled thing.

dan.dar

Reaction score
The black levels on non HD amoled screens are low enough that you won't see it without a long exposure photo, even in a dark room. Even the QHD screen of the Razr M is that good. The HD screens black level is screwed up by proximity of the pixels. They shouldn't be lit up but they are. At least most of them and that's what causes the blotches.

Sent from my MAXX HD.