Pictures taken with your Droid Razr (Maxx) HD

PowrDroid

Reaction score
I took these of our grave yard that we're doing in our front yard.. we'll also have foggers and strobe lights...

Looks like it will be a very good Halloween set up. The pictures look like they are underexposed and washed out. Also seem to have a pinkish tone to them.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

PowrDroid

Reaction score
It definitely can take shots that are good, or even great. It's just the inconsistency that's frustrating. I would imagine with more usage I'll become more used to it and all of its "quirks".

Does the Maxx HD have burst photo mode? Take multiple shots in a row? I ask because I've seen the weird camera effect where if I take a shot with my D2G and it's a crap shot, if I take another shot seconds later of the same thing it turns out great. I'm wondering if burst mode would get that first lousy shot out of the way and subsequent shots would be nice.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the Maxx HD have burst photo mode? Take multiple shots in a row? I ask because I've seen the weird camera effect where if I take a shot with my D2G and it's a crap shot, if I take another shot seconds later of the same thing it turns out great. I'm wondering if burst mode would get that first lousy shot out of the way and subsequent shots would be nice.

It does - not sure if that strategy would help or not though :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regular Shot #1:

1_zps34324f04.jpg

Regular Shot #2 (did not do anything after first shot, the lighting simply re-adjusted as soon as I took #1):

2_zpsf08a6fda.jpg

HDR Shot 1 (not the greatest need for HDR here, so this might be pointless):

3_zps3a46a9f4.jpg

HDR Shot 2:

4_zpsc17d46d7.jpg

Regular Shot A:

A_zpscc446b07.jpg

Regular Shot B (not quite as drastic a lighting change):

B_zpsb3cfb86c.jpg

HDR Shot C:

C_zpsefed2eb8.jpg

HDR Shot D:

D_zps718d8e1b.jpg

HDR is normally better in high contrast scenarios, which this obviously wasn't.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos, one can hope the focus and exposure issues could be addressed in a software update.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Thank you very much! Regular shot #1 and regular shot #2 perfectly illustrates the main problem I have with my Moto camera. Crappy first picture, decent second picture. It's as if the first picture in a sequence is needed to 'wake up' the light sensor.

Though not as drastic, there is a noticeable difference between Reg. shot #A and #B. Shot #A looks underexposed compared to Shot #B. Look at the mesh in the pencil cup holder--shot A can't see the mesh clearly whereas you can in shot B.

I'm thinking a quick fix would be if you could set the number of photos the camera will take in burst mode to 2 shots. That way you get your choice of pictures you want to keep and virtually guarantee one of them will be good. Is there a way to do this?

I'm also thinking that is the weakest can of coke I've ever seen poured into a glass! <JK>

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, those shots weren't in burst mode, sorry for the confusion. I had started that post prior to seeing your request for that. :)

dan.dar

Reaction score
Still, they show the problem with the first shot being lousy, second shot being good.

First shot wasn't lousy. It correctly exposed the top of the coke can at the expense of the bottom. The second correctly exposed the bottom but blew out the top. That's why hdr was recommended for that composition. Better cameras have multi point exposure control. Of course with multipoint you would get top slightly overexposed and bottom slightly underexposed which would then really be a lousy photo.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
First shot wasn't lousy. It correctly exposed the top of the coke can at the expense of the bottom. The second correctly exposed the bottom but blew out the top. That's why hdr was recommended for that composition. Better cameras have multi point exposure control. Of course with multipoint you would get top slightly overexposed and bottom slightly underexposed which would then really be a lousy photo.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

Interesting - good explanation for what's going on there. Oh and FWIW, it didn't recommend HDR in this scenario. The second picture is very close to reality (very bright in my office), even if it blew out the top "reflections" a bit.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
More pictures outdoors. Fair lighting. Non modified. Macro.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121026_202523.png
    ForumRunner_20121026_202523.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 262
  • ForumRunner_20121026_202532.png
    ForumRunner_20121026_202532.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 270
  • ForumRunner_20121026_202542.png
    ForumRunner_20121026_202542.png
    1 MB · Views: 245
  • ForumRunner_20121026_202557.png
    ForumRunner_20121026_202557.png
    924.7 KB · Views: 264
  • ForumRunner_20121026_202607.png
    ForumRunner_20121026_202607.png
    782.2 KB · Views: 273
  • ForumRunner_20121026_202629.png
    ForumRunner_20121026_202629.png
    345.9 KB · Views: 297

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Went to Verizon and played around with the Maxx HD, including camera. While I wasn't blown away by the camera but I thought it was decent enough. It definitely takes better pictures than my D2G. I tried to find some low light shots (hard to do in the store) but got some that I thought were acceptable. Of course they were kind of underexposed and noisy but so were the same shots with the Galaxy S3. The S3 might have had a slight edge by having a bit less noise but with the phones tethered to the counter about 8 feet apart I could not get exact side by side shots. I got the reassurance I was looking for in that I know I can live with the camera in the Maxx HD. I think I'm going to love burst shot mode!

Other items: The Maxx HD was showing signal strength of -62 dB on 4G whereas the Galaxy S3 was -72 dB. BTW, I also looked at the Razr M and it had signal strength of -68 dB, also beating the S3. The Maxx HD had an incredible 62 MB/sec download rate on SpeedTest; the S3 had 43 MB/sec download tests. I asked S-Voice on the S3 a couple of questions which it couldn't answer, "Where do I find the network signal strength meter on the Galaxy S3?" and it had to refer me to the internet. After playing with the Maxx and the S3 I messed around with the iphone5. Honestly, after looking at the screens on the Android phones, the iPhone5 looks like a toy. It does have a beautiful looking screen and I love the way it responds to finger swipes, but really, it's a dinky little phone. I couldn't find Siri on it!

I can say I'm no longer on the fence--it's Maxx HD over S3.

rumblee1

Reaction score
You really want to get blown away. Go test out the galaxy note 2. It's incredible. Blows anything away.