Droid razr 4g

shahzaib10

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering is there anyway to set the Droid razr to only 4g lte mode instead of lte/cdma. I read an article and found out that the only reason that 4g phones drain battery fast is because 4g phones are connected to cdma and lte simultaneously. So I was hoping to cut this by only making it go into 4g mode only.thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Kimo91

Reaction score
I don't think there's a 4G only mode. But if you're in a spotty 4G area and worried about battery drain, just switch down to 3G. I do that daily at work cause 4G is spotty at best cause of all the buildings I work around and switch back to 4G when I get home. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't think there's a 4G only mode. But if you're in a spotty 4G area and worried about battery drain, just switch down to 3G. I do that daily at work cause 4G is spotty at best cause of all the buildings I work around and switch back to 4G when I get home. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

Kimo is correct. As for both 3G and 4G being active at the same time I am relatively confident that's not the case. There's no reason I can think of why they'd want both radios running on separate frequency bands since 4G will outpace 3G and cellular phone calls are handled separately from data communication.

The 3G radio does remain on standby in case 4G is lost, but it's not sending or receiving data while there is a viable 4G connection.

Last edited:
OP
shahzaib10

shahzaib10

Reaction score
Search for the article, it says that is one of the reasons for extreme battery lost. Anyway I found the way to only set to lte mode only. So far I see an improvement in battery. Ill post my full results in a day or two.

J.RAZR

Reaction score
If you found a way to set it to 4G/LTE only, please share this information.

J. Razr

OP
shahzaib10

shahzaib10

Reaction score
If you found a way to set it to 4G/LTE only, please share this information.

J. Razr

Call ##program(7764726) ... then its gonna ask you for a password-000000. Then go to test mode and click next 2 times and just look a drop down menu that says lte / cdma and click on it. Change it to lte only. Hope it helps. If you have any questions just ask

Zandar

Reaction score
Call ##program(7764726) ... then its gonna ask you for a password-000000. Then go to test mode and click next 2 times and just look a drop down menu that says lte / cdma and click on it. Change it to lte only. Hope it helps. If you have any questions just ask

I'll be giving this a shot, too. I get strong 4G signal around my city, but I normally run in 3G for battery reasons. I'll be using 4G only for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Sliced from my RAZR

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Isn't this going to cause data drop outs when your 4G signal gets too low?

It might save power but I love my Razr's ability to hop from 3G to 4g and back.
I work in a high rise and when deeper in the building it looses 4G and connects to 3G auto-magically.
I actually saw it last night, I was down loading a podcast on 4G and getting real impressed on how fast 4g is in the real world.
I turned a corner and I noticed it (the download) seemed to slow down and looking at the notification bar is sad 3G 5 bars and was still downloading!
I back tracked and it went back to 4G and finished the download.

I apologize to everyone when I suggested 3G was just fine, it's not! 4G is brilliant! Netflix looks great, no pixelation at all.
apps download in a blink!

Wow love my Razr Maxx!

Zandar

Reaction score
Well, then, this might not be a good solution for you. For someone who has a constant, reliable 4G connexion, like me, this could be great. We'll see.

Sliced from my RAZR

OP
shahzaib10

shahzaib10

Reaction score
So far drained 10 percent after 40 minutes of continuous playback from YouTube. This is amazing .. if it all works out.. screw the maxx.

Zandar

Reaction score
So far today, seems to be draining like it did before on 3G/4G; i.e. faster than simply using 3G. I'll keep it up for another day and report back.

OP
shahzaib10

shahzaib10

Reaction score
Don't know about u.. but I have 74 percent left after 8 hours of use...

Zandar

Reaction score
Don't know about u.. but I have 74 percent left after 8 hours of use...

I'm at 40% after not much use in 5.5 hours; this is much worse than normal even on CDMA/LTE mode. Are you using any Smart Actions to kill mobile data, or perhaps using WiFi at all?