battery usage - 4G/3G vs. wifi

SJsRazr

Reaction score
Hello,
I love my Razr but hate the battery life (had a droid x with great battery life).

I have read that switching to CDMA only will help on the battery. My question is....if I am home and turn on the wifi - would that give me a longer battery life vs. 4G/3G?

thanx!

senker

Reaction score
Hello,
I love my Razr but hate the battery life (had a droid x with great battery life).

I have read that switching to CDMA only will help on the battery. My question is....if I am home and turn on the wifi - would that give me a longer battery life vs. 4G/3G?

thanx!

Turning off the 4G and going only on 3G makes a huge difference. Also, I have not personally tried saving battery over Wifi, usually when I am home I charge my phone. BUT... you can do a test to see if it makes a difference....

Run the same applications on 2 different days. One over Wifi and one over the network. Then from the home screen go to settings -> Battery info -> battery use and it will tell you exactly how much battery was used and where. (doesn't work if charging)

GL, Thanks.

mmcompute

Reaction score
I'm presently testing the difference in battery life on 4G, 3G, WiFi, and AirPlane Mode. The preliminary results are very interesting. I will post my results soon.
:happy3:

Deron

Reaction score
I've already tested this extensively:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1855842

" On Droid Razr, when using a particular app, battery drain is 4G > 3G > WiFi.
On average, 4G drains battery about 10 - 20% faster than 3G, doing the same activity. (This is not to be confused with 10 to 20 percentage points.)
On average, 4G drains battery about twice as fast as WiFi when watching streaming video (the most data-intense activity you can do on a phone.) "

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

revelated

Reaction score
Put it this way.

4g/3g switching (normal): 16-18 hours.
3g ONLY: 20-23 hours.
Wi-Fi ONLY: ~45 hours (I'm not kidding)
Mixture of 3g and Wi-Fi using Smart Actions appropriately: 18-36 hours.

In other words USE WIFI WHEN POSSIBLE.

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Put it this way.

4g/3g switching (normal): 16-18 hours.
3g ONLY: 20-23 hours.
Wi-Fi ONLY: ~45 hours (I'm not kidding)
Mixture of 3g and Wi-Fi using Smart Actions appropriately: 18-36 hours.

In other words USE WIFI WHEN POSSIBLE.

Can you please post up your smart actions and other settings you have where you are getting that good of battery life. I have barely been on mine and I'm on 3g and it's been off the charger for 3 hours and its at 76% with light usage......for what ever reason my OS eats up my battery......it is at like 75% battery consumption. Help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

revelated

Reaction score

mmcompute

Reaction score
I've already tested this extensively:

Comparing the Battery Life of Droid Razr vs. Droid X

" On Droid Razr, when using a particular app, battery drain is 4G > 3G > WiFi.
On average, 4G drains battery about 10 - 20% faster than 3G, doing the same activity. (This is not to be confused with 10 to 20 percentage points.)
On average, 4G drains battery about twice as fast as WiFi when watching streaming video (the most data-intense activity you can do on a phone.) "

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Indeed you did! No need in me taking up that banner again . Thanks for that. Oh, I also setup my Razr's Smart Actions to save on battery life. It is working great. I had 15 hours with 40% left on the battery last night.dancedroid

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wifi has always been the best for battery life, since the Droid 1

That's if there aren't any issues with wifi, like a bug or something.

PhDCow

Reaction score
If I'm at home, I'm on Wifi. Otherwise, it's 3G except if I'm uploading/downloading a huge file. One trick I've learned is turning data off (not through Smart Actions but through an app) when I'm driving, teaching, or in a meeting. I'm not going to be paying attention to when my email arrives anyway. Even though I have unlimited data, turning off the data has helped the battery life too.

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
For whatever reason my OS is reading 55% of my battery. Hows is everybody's reading?

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
Having the same conversation in other thread and couldn't post link so just copied same info.

Main difference between yesterday and today is wifi vs 4g. More streaming movies from home server yesterday than today but not much more. Loaded them on to SD card to eliminate stream delay as I was checking video settings.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I don't use 4G unless I absolutely need it, and use WIFI, whenever possible. Otherwise, I use 3G. It has made such a difference, especially since I work in a area with a very weak 4G signal. Once you figure out the tricks, the phone truly does have a great battery life.