Droid plus Subsonic is killer

mjones73

Reaction score
so just a reminder when this scam of a program decides to charge you $15 after the 30 days make sure you go ahead and try mecanto for free streaming from your home pc to ur phone no matter where you are...k bye.

I don't like the fact it uploads my music to their servers and it doesn't support loseless formats so I'd need to transcode most of my collection and store it separately.

When you can give me something else that runs on just about every OS out there, can transcode just about any music format on the fly and stream it from my own server for less then the $10 one time donation I gave the developer, let me know...k bye.

Last edited:

TheRandom1

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I've been using SubSonic and it's great. My only problem is that some songs don't show up in playlists. has anybody else had this problem?

for example: Motley Crue's Saints of Los Angeles album show up in the library on subsonic, but do not show up at all any playlists. I have verified that the files are .mp3 and all but nothing. Other than that, this program works flawlessly and is absolutely worth the donation!

rgn2000

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I've been using SubSonic and it's great. My only problem is that some songs don't show up in playlists. has anybody else had this problem?

for example: Motley Crue's Saints of Los Angeles album show up in the library on subsonic, but do not show up at all any playlists. I have verified that the files are .mp3 and all but nothing. Other than that, this program works flawlessly and is absolutely worth the donation!

When you say some songs don't show up in playlists do you mean you have for example a playlist of, say 50 songs, and maybe 5 do not show up? Or do you mean that the playlist shows as empty? Are you using m3u? I have found some songs did not show up if any of the song titles had symbols in it. I have seen Motley Crue written with symbol characters in it and they would cause the problem. If this is the issue then the other question is how did you create your playlist? But first things first, answer some these questions and will see what it going on.

TheRandom1

Reaction score
If any of the songs from that album (for example) are on a playlist, they won't show up at all. I have a playlist with a couple of those songs on it, and 100 other songs. Every other song shows up except the ones from the SOLA album. (possibly because of the dots over the O in Motley, didn't think about that) and when I created a playlist of ONLY those songs, nothing showed up at all.

The playlist was created through itunes and imported to Subsonic.

Reaction score
Make sure the relative path names are correct for both the folder setup in Subsonic, and the playlist files.

For example, if the root folder for your music collection is setup in Subsonic as

"C:\My Music\..."

...then the path names in your .m3u playlists must also start with "C:\My Music\..."

If you're using UNC path names for your Subsonic server, you'll need to use UNC pathnames in the .m3u playlist files too.

Here's how one of my playlists is setup:

Code:
#EXTM3U
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Jamiroquai - When You Gonna Learn (JK Mix)(EQd_edited).mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Too Young To Die [Single] (1993)\Jamiroquai - Too Young to Die CD Single - 02 - Too Young to Die [Extended Version].mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 03 - Hooked Up.mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 04 - If I Like It, I Do It.mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 05 - Music Of the Mind.mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 06 - Emergency On Planet Earth.mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 07 - Whatever It Is, I Just Can't Stop.mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 08 - Blow Your Mind.mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 09 - Revolution 1993.mp3
\\PUNISHER\Album Archive\Jamiroquai\Emergency On Planet Earth\Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth - 10 - Didgin' Out.mp3
...and my Subsonic folder setup is in the attached screen.

Last edited:

TheRandom1

Reaction score
that just confused the heck out of me. The files are in the same spot they've always been?

rgn2000

Reaction score
If any of the songs from that album (for example) are on a playlist, they won't show up at all. I have a playlist with a couple of those songs on it, and 100 other songs. Every other song shows up except the ones from the SOLA album. (possibly because of the dots over the O in Motley, didn't think about that) and when I created a playlist of ONLY those songs, nothing showed up at all.

The playlist was created through itunes and imported to Subsonic.

I think it is because of the dots over the O. What you should do is create your playlist with windows media and save it to the same directory as the playlist directory setup with subsonic. I had the same problem and when I used windows media it fixed it. Let me know.

TheRandom1

Reaction score
rgn, I just tried it with WMP and the playlist still shows up as empty.

rgn2000

Reaction score
I only put the Motley Crue songs on the new playlist.

I just tested this method with some songs that have symbols like Crue and it worked.

First off I am assuming you started from scratch with a blank playlist? And you saved it as an m3u file? One of the problems with WMP is that when it creates the m3u file it saves each line as ..\Motley Crue\Album Name\etc\etc.mp3. This goes back to the post by MrLethalWeapon. If your files on the subsonic setup is for example C:\users\Name\Music\Etc then your m3u list has to have that as well.

To fix this open up the m3u file with notepad or word and change the file directories to what it actually is. This can be done with the find and replace command. Just put in for find ..\ and in replace C:\whatever your path is up through the main music directory.

I am sorry I did not think of this when I responded earlier. Also do me a favor and pick at least 1 other song that does not have symbols to see if the playlist is at least setup correctly.

TheRandom1

Reaction score
I created the playlists in iTunes. I just created one in WMP to test it. That playlist won't be used anymore. I'll take a look at the m3u files and see if it's somehow wrong, but that doesn't make any sense. How would the playlist file have a different directory listed than where the song is at when the song shows up in the library?

rgn2000

Reaction score
I created the playlists in iTunes. I just created one in WMP to test it. That playlist won't be used anymore. I'll take a look at the m3u files and see if it's somehow wrong, but that doesn't make any sense. How would the playlist file have a different directory listed than where the song is at when the song shows up in the library?

NO, you want to stay on the WMP playlist. Itunes does not export songs with symbols properly (as they don't do much properly) so you have to use WMP as I told you before. WMP happens to save the directory structure differently for the way it reads file. Subsonic needs it to be different. Both are the same it is just how each software reads it. ..\ works with WMP, but Subsonic needs it "spelled out" in a sense with the entire C:\users\Name\Music or whatever it is. So use the WMP playlist and change the ..\ to the exact path.

TheRandom1

Reaction score
That is too bad. I was really hoping to just use the iTunes playlists, haha. I have Genius lists there and don't particularly want to change them.

I'll go through and see if I can get the symbols and whatnot to look the way it is in the post above and let you know.

Reaction score
... How would the playlist file have a different directory listed than where the song is at when the song shows up in the library?
RGN2000 said:
...Subsonic needs it "spelled out" in a sense with the entire C:\users\Name\Music...

That's it.

This:

Code:
..\
...is a relative path.

This:
Code:
C:\users\Name\Music...
...is an example of an absolute path.

The "..\" relates to the working directory of the music files WMP was using when it made the playlist. WMP will obviously know where its own working directory is; Subsonic won't.
Subsonic needs the absolute paths for the songs listed in your playlist files or it won't know where your songs are.