Droid plus Subsonic is killer

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Can anyone say how this compares to homepipe which seems to accomplish a similar goal?

Darksthour

Reaction score
I did all the steps that was said in rgn2000's post however whenever i check the third option to "Access your server over the Internet using an easy-to-remember address." it goes through the check then says my server name is registered, but could not connect to it. (ConnectTimeoutException) Wtf does that mean and what do i have to do to fix it. i would really like to get all of my music on my phone. that would be bad ass. i tried to go to the forums on the site and look this up but for some reason the site wouldn't open.

baaldemon

Reaction score
Is your server setup with a static ip? Are you using uPnP or do you have a static nnat setup to your server. Can you connect to the server on the local network? What type of server are you running Windows or Linux?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Darksthour

Reaction score
I do have a static IP set up. I can connect to the site and listen to music with the port open. The problem is I can't get the server up so I can acsess it on my droid. It gives me the error message but I don't know what it means or what to do about it.

baaldemon

Reaction score
I do have a static IP set up. I can connect to the site and listen to music with the port open. The problem is I can't get the server up so I can acsess it on my droid. It gives me the error message but I don't know what it means or what to do about it.

What do you mean by "I can connect to the site and listen to music with the port open"? Do you mean when you are on the local network or when you are on an external network on another pc, just not the droid? What port are you running your server on? The error essentially means that it cannot reach the machine. When you say you have a static IP are you talking about internal or external? If you are running on port 80 most ISPs block external access to that port, change it to something else, like 8080. Are you correctly entering the connection string in the droid app (yourname.subsonic.org:yourport)?

alphawave7

Reaction score
The donation is required to continue using the APIs that the android app uses, however I don't believe there is a minimum requirement on what will get you the license key.

However you can take the code and most likely modify it to not have that restriction. I donated much more than the suggested because its an awesome program. I've also rebuilt and modified the application to handle a couple things differently, though I haven't looked into the licensing code to see what that would take.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of any app limitation, as I donated long before the app was available. I suppose entering your 'subsonic.org' address is what verifies you as a paid sub? That's all I can figure...

alphawave7

Reaction score
For Darksthour and others,

Firstly, this is a server, and needs to be visible publicly. Your ISP typically uses DHCP to hand your connection an IP, and it can change any time, unless you pay for a static IP. The usual workaround is a dynamic dns address (eg. dyndns.com) coupled with a dns updater proggy on your serving machine. This secures an available path to your server regardless what your ISP sends you IP-wise.

Secondly, the server needs a port to serve on, and this is best a non-standard port (like 80, which can be blocked by ISP)...5050, 7001, it doesn't matter. What DOES matter is you set this port in Subsonic, AND open this port on your router (as an 'exception, rule, forwarding, pinholing, whatever your router calls it). Follow the router's instruction manual for learning how to open/forward ports, and apply only that port chosen above to both UDP and TCP protocols.

Thirdly, ensure Subsonic is running, and test configuration for both lan (eg. 192.169.0.3:5050) and wan (eg. joeschmoe.dyndns.org:5050). Troubleshoot any anomalies, and ask for help if you get stumped. Paid Subsonic subs get their own subsonic.org addresses, and don't need to rely upon dyndns and an updaters. HTH! :)

alphawave7

Reaction score
Can anyone say how this compares to homepipe which seems to accomplish a similar goal?

HP works, but is sluggish browsing on my 500G+ collection, choppy/unuseable playback on my solid 3G connection (caching issue) and doesn't appear to have playlist/queueing options, is stream only (no caching or download options, requires checking the file and manually downloading it). HP works great for accessing and downloading (basic server) but Subsonic is a full music server application, with transcoding audio and video, multiple user access and variable bitrate policies as well as download or stream-only to users permissions,etc., podcast support and more...the list is quite long, and growing. :)

baaldemon

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of any app limitation, as I donated long before the app was available. I suppose entering your 'subsonic.org' address is what verifies you as a paid sub? That's all I can figure...

Verification happens on server side, and is nothing that is cryptograohically secure, Infact Sindre has commented the code to say how easy it is to get around it, The subsonic org address is really just a perk of donating, doesn't verify anything.

elecga

Reaction score
I've been using subsonic for a few weeks to stream my flac collection but I'm not happy with the short skips when caching songs. I saw somebody mention in this thread that this is fixed with 2.2, can others confirm this? Is anybody else getting skips on 2.1?

alphawave7

Reaction score
I've been using subsonic for a few weeks to stream my flac collection but I'm not happy with the short skips when caching songs. I saw somebody mention in this thread that this is fixed with 2.2, can others confirm this? Is anybody else getting skips on 2.1?

Confirmed. It was an Android issue relating to notifications during download/caching...I expressed frustration about this a long time ago (Nexus) and before Sindre could fix it, FroYo had resolved the problem for me. :)

alphawave7

Reaction score

Verification happens on server side, and is nothing that is cryptograohically secure, Infact Sindre has commented the code to say how easy it is to get around it, The subsonic org address is really just a perk of donating, doesn't verify anything.

When you say server-side (wrt app) are you saying Sindre's server, and the app has a call home function? I also use a standard dyndns host, in addition to the subsonic.org address, that is why I was curious if entering the subsonic.org info resolved the app registration. :)

elecga

Reaction score
Confirmed. It was an Android issue relating to notifications during download/caching...I expressed frustration about this a long time ago (Nexus) and before Sindre could fix it, FroYo had resolved the problem for me. :)
Thanks! Now I just need to wait for 2.2 to be released for Droid X :icon_eek:

baaldemon

Reaction score
Server side means on the subsonic server you are running. There is no call home function, there's just code on your server that "validates" the key.

ndfan4u

Reaction score
I spent the past couple of days playing around with the Subsonic media-streamer, Subsonic » Free Music Streamer. The application allows you to stream music from your home pc to any web-based devices including Android devices.

-When connected to my home network, I can now stream music from my pc to my droid via wi-fi, using the router's wireless access point
-When connected to someone else network, I can now remotely access music on my pc and stream to my droid via wifi.
-When connected via 3g, I can now can now remotely access music on my pc and stream to my droid via wifi.

So now, where ever I go I will always have access to 70GBs of music library sitting on my PC.

BEST FOR LAST...

If you are rooted and have latest version of flash installed, you will be able to stream almost any type of video on your pc to your droid.

Subsonic does video transcoding on the fly. Now, instead of wasting an hour converting movies into a Droid compatible format, I am using Subsonic to stream movies from my PC to my Droid via 3g or wifi.

Question, so if my music collection is on Itunes, will it work???? Sorry, I'm new to the Android world. I have a Droid X, unrooted until we get Froyo.