Droid plus Subsonic is killer

ndfan4u

Reaction score
I'm unable to get this to work and I'm a bit confused. On the Droid, via 3G, I can sign in to the website I created and view my collection, but the tunes won't play. It says there's a network error. Could someone please assist me?

When I run the static IP app from portforwarding.com, it says my IP is dynamic. When I set it to the recommended IP, I lose connection with my wireless router. I looked through my router settings, but I can't figure it out (2wire 424 wireless modem/router).

Any thoughts?

You need a dyndns address, and open a specific port (configurable in settings) on your router for WAN access. For LAN, simply type your subsonic machine's IP and port into your browser (eg. 192.168.0.3:6000) or in Subsonic App's settings for Home Server.

Can you please post step by step instructions for us newbies. PLEASE

alphawave7

Reaction score
Server side means on the subsonic server you are running. There is no call home function, there's just code on your server that "validates" the key.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

On Subsonic's site, it says Subsonic is free. The apps are free for 30 days, but are unlimited with donation:
"Donate
Love Subsonic? Support continued development and maintenance by giving a donation.

Donors get access to premium features like:

Unlimited use of Subsonic apps for iPhone, Android and AIR.
Your personal server address: yourname.subsonic.org
No ads in the web interface.
The suggested donation amount is €20, but you can give any amount you like. €10, €15, €20, €25, €30"

And in the app section of the site, it mentions:

"Please note that most of the apps are made by third-party developers, and are not maintained by the Subsonic project. Some apps are commercial, while some are available for free.

"Also note that after a 30-day trial period you need a license key to use the apps. You get a license key by giving a donation to the Subsonic project. The license never expires and is valid for all current and future apps. By donating you also get other benefits; see info box on the right."

So I do stand corrected..I was just trying to clarify *where* the app authorization is coming from, the app itself or the server pinging home. This arrangement makes sense, you can run Subsonic free all you want, and use your own dyndns address, but to use a supporting app on Android past 30 days requires a donation to the project, registering Subsonic, not any particular app. :)

alphawave7

Reaction score
I'm unable to get this to work and I'm a bit confused. On the Droid, via 3G, I can sign in to the website I created and view my collection, but the tunes won't play. It says there's a network error. Could someone please assist me?

When I run the static IP app from portforwarding.com, it says my IP is dynamic. When I set it to the recommended IP, I lose connection with my wireless router. I looked through my router settings, but I can't figure it out (2wire 424 wireless modem/router).

Any thoughts?

You need a dyndns address, and open a specific port (configurable in settings) on your router for WAN access. For LAN, simply type your subsonic machine's IP and port into your browser (eg. 192.168.0.3:6000) or in Subsonic App's settings for Home Server.

Can you please post step by step instructions for us newbies. PLEASE

Regrettably, it's a multi-step process which varies among user configurations and background knowledge of their own equipment...a Step-by-Step is not as effective as individual assistance, which is not a topic for this particular forum. Subsonic has a user-based forum for assistance, despite the fact its traffic is low..you may find set-up guides within (see Tutorials forum): Subsonic Forum :: Index

elecga

Reaction score
I've been using subsonic for a few weeks to stream my flac collection but I'm not happy with the short skips when caching songs. I saw somebody mention in this thread that this is fixed with 2.2, can others confirm this? Is anybody else getting skips on 2.1?

Confirmed. It was an Android issue relating to notifications during download/caching...I expressed frustration about this a long time ago (Nexus) and before Sindre could fix it, FroYo had resolved the problem for me. :)

Unfortunately it didn't do it for the X. I just upgraded to the leaked 2.2 and it still skips. I really hope it gets resolved as its the only program I found that can actually stream my flacs, even if it is transcoding.

rgn2000

Reaction score
I've been using subsonic for a few weeks to stream my flac collection but I'm not happy with the short skips when caching songs. I saw somebody mention in this thread that this is fixed with 2.2, can others confirm this? Is anybody else getting skips on 2.1?

Confirmed. It was an Android issue relating to notifications during download/caching...I expressed frustration about this a long time ago (Nexus) and before Sindre could fix it, FroYo had resolved the problem for me. :)

Unfortunately it didn't do it for the X. I just upgraded to the leaked 2.2 and it still skips. I really hope it gets resolved as its the only program I found that can actually stream my flacs, even if it is transcoding.

I have the Droid and the skipping was fixed with 2.2. Mine would always skip about 10 to 11 seconds into a song and then maybe skip more sometime later in the song, but always skipped at that 10 to 11 seconds unless it was cached. With 2.2 it is no longer happening.

elecga

Reaction score
I have the Droid and the skipping was fixed with 2.2. Mine would always skip about 10 to 11 seconds into a song and then maybe skip more sometime later in the song, but always skipped at that 10 to 11 seconds unless it was cached. With 2.2 it is no longer happening.

Just tried it again with a few songs and it always seems to skip 40 seconds in and again at 2min40secs in when I'm streaming. I guess its either my phone or the leaked version of 2.2.

rgn2000

Reaction score

Just tried it again with a few songs and it always seems to skip 40 seconds in and again at 2min40secs in when I'm streaming. I guess its either my phone or the leaked version of 2.2.

Hopefully is the leaked version. That version is definitely not final from what I have heard.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm running the leaked 2.2 for D1 and using Subsonic.... absolutely no issues here.

No skipping etc.

rgn2000

Reaction score
I'm running the leaked 2.2 for D1 and using Subsonic.... absolutely no issues here.

No skipping etc.

The leaked version for the D1 is the official version where the X is not the official. For the D1 someone copied the update.zip after Verizon pushed it to them and before they updated so it was official.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

No skipping etc.

The leaked version for the D1 is the official version where the X is not the official. For the D1 someone copied the update.zip after Verizon pushed it to them and before they updated so it was official.
This is true.

Must've missed you guys were referring to the X.

It happens :hail: "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"

mjones73

Reaction score

I posted this problem awhile back at the subsonic forum and the response I got was that the skipping is a result of how the app "buffers".

The app starts downloading the mp3 in the background then starts playing when a partial amount of the file is downloaded. When the player hits the point where the partial file ends, there is a slight pause while it restarts playback to continue playing what got downloaded after the initial start of the song. The notification was a side effect of how it was reloading to play the rest of the downloaded file.

When I was running Eclair, I've found letting it buffer about 5 songs in advance helps, it will eventually get to the point where the next song to play is completely downloaded in advance and you won't have any skipping. I also keep my on sd card cache high (5GB) so that it doesn't have to repeatedly download commonly listened to songs.

It does appear whatever changes were made under the covers to the Froyo music app have made the reload run much more smoothly and you don't get the skipping anymore.

elecga

Reaction score
I've found workarounds also and cache alot of songs on my sd card so it isn't too big of a deal. It's just a minor annoyance in a otherwise great program.

I'm kind of skeptical about the official froyo update fixing it, with my luck its probably something with the phone. I'm on my third X :(

Reaction score
so just a reminder when this scam of a program decides to charge you $15 after the 30 days make sure you go ahead and try mecanto for free streaming from your home pc to ur phone no matter where you are...k bye.

mjones73

Reaction score
Hopefully it'll work for you when the X gets Froyo, I know when the Froyo leaks started showing up for the Droid it solved the problem.

It is a minor problem once you figure out how to work around it.

I recommend this app to all my Android owning friends, if it wasn't for Comcast and their stupid monthly caps, I'd even have them let at my server...