Droid plus Subsonic is killer

alphawave7

Reaction score
has anybody here tried mSpot? How does this compare? Currently mSpot for me offers decent storage but it gets the album art wrong and the quality is pretty shoddy (a trade-off because of how quick it streams).

2 gigs is worthless to me, but I tried it and was unimpressed. SubSonic rules on this if you don't mind the caching: I often want to hear the songs more than once, so caching is fine by me, and you're only 1 touch away from 'saving' them on your phone, so they can be played by any player. If you want to try a true streamer (with only buffer-size caching) AudioGalaxy actually works quite well..it's in the Market.

Reaction score
mine doesnt work on 3g...says network error on the phone and (ConnectTimeoutException) when it tests the server on the computer..

baaldemon

Reaction score
Probably a better place to ask for help would be the forums over at subsonic.org.

But first questio would be do you have port forwarding turned on for the port you are running subsonic on? Also if its on port 80 I would switch to something else because a lot of providers block 80.

If that's not your problem then give us more information. Like can you connect from a webbrowser on an external connection. What OS are you running, what version of subsonic server are you running.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rgn2000

Reaction score
I'm unable to get this to work and I'm a bit confused. On the Droid, via 3G, I can sign in to the website I created and view my collection, but the tunes won't play. It says there's a network error. Could someone please assist me?

When I run the static IP app from portforwarding.com, it says my IP is dynamic. When I set it to the recommended IP, I lose connection with my wireless router. I looked through my router settings, but I can't figure it out (2wire 424 wireless modem/router).

Any thoughts?

You probably need to do everything manually. If you go into your network connections, right click on your wifi connection icon and then properties. Scroll down to internet protocol TCP/IP. Double click on it. Choose obtain an IP address automatically and also choose obtain DNS server address automatically. Then save it all and close.

Make sure you can go on the internet before proceeding.

Click on Start/run and type cmd and enter. Depending on version of windows you may not have run so just put it in the search box after hitting start. You will get a black window (this is dos). Now type ipconfig /all and enter.

Copy down your IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers (there should be 2). When you are done with that type exit and you will close that.

Now go back to to your network connections and right click on your wifi connection and hit properties and then double click on internet protocol TCP/IP.

Click on use the following IP address. Put in the IP address that you copied down and then the subnet mask and default gateway.

Then click on use the following DNS Servers and put in the 2 servers that you copied down. Save everything and close.

You should still be connected to the internet.

Now open the subsonic in browser and log in and in step 3 on the home page click on automatically configure your router to allow incoming connections......

Also click on access your server over the internet using the following internet address and choose your name. Then clock on save.

If this part does not work then we will have to forward your router manually which should not be too hard.

Let me know how you make out. Also if you are planning on this computer to be hard wired then instead of right clicking on your wifi ethernet (in network connections) you will right click on your wired ethernet. Everything else will be the same.

ffej89

Reaction score
I like MeCanto. Have all my music loaded and cleared up so much of my sd card.

DreamOperator

Reaction score
Nice, Nice, Very Nice

I'm unable to get this to work and I'm a bit confused. On the Droid, via 3G, I can sign in to the website I created and view my collection, but the tunes won't play. It says there's a network error. Could someone please assist me?

When I run the static IP app from portforwarding.com, it says my IP is dynamic. When I set it to the recommended IP, I lose connection with my wireless router. I looked through my router settings, but I can't figure it out (2wire 424 wireless modem/router).

Any thoughts?

You need a dyndns address, and open a specific port (configurable in settings) on your router for WAN access. For LAN, simply type your subsonic machine's IP and port into your browser (eg. 192.168.0.3:6000) or in Subsonic App's settings for Home Server.

You probably need to do everything manually. If you go into your network connections, right click on your wifi connection icon and then properties. Scroll down to internet protocol TCP/IP. Double click on it. Choose obtain an IP address automatically and also choose obtain DNS server address automatically. Then save it all and close.

Make sure you can go on the internet before proceeding.

Click on Start/run and type cmd and enter. Depending on version of windows you may not have run so just put it in the search box after hitting start. You will get a black window (this is dos). Now type ipconfig /all and enter.

Copy down your IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers (there should be 2). When you are done with that type exit and you will close that.

Now go back to to your network connections and right click on your wifi connection and hit properties and then double click on internet protocol TCP/IP.

Click on use the following IP address. Put in the IP address that you copied down and then the subnet mask and default gateway.

Then click on use the following DNS Servers and put in the 2 servers that you copied down. Save everything and close.

You should still be connected to the internet.

Now open the subsonic in browser and log in and in step 3 on the home page click on automatically configure your router to allow incoming connections......

Also click on access your server over the internet using the following internet address and choose your name. Then clock on save.

If this part does not work then we will have to forward your router manually which should not be too hard.

Let me know how you make out. Also if you are planning on this computer to be hard wired then instead of right clicking on your wifi ethernet (in network connections) you will right click on your wired ethernet. Everything else will be the same.

Ambrosia - Nice, Nice, Very Nice is currently playing on my Droid via 3G!!

:icon_ banana: dancedroid :icon_ lala: dancedroid :icon_ lala: dancedroid :icon_ banana:

Gentlemen, I cannot thank you enough!

RGN2000: Your instructions are so thorough and well written! I'm a helpdesk tech. (who obviously doesn't do much with networking :)) and this is how I write docs. Assume the user knows nothing!

I'm pretty sure the major component I missed was entering the DNS sever in TCP/IP config. I only saw one DNS server listed when I did ipconfig /all. I guess that's okay?

alphawave7: You were right about the server, but I needed a little more info to pull it off. I'm glad you put the IP address with the port number in your post. That came in handy when I was setting up the app on the Droid.

I'm heading to Wisconsin to see Phish this weekend, so I'll be putting this to good use.

I'll be donating to the dev as well, what a great idea!

Thanks again!

DreamOperator

Reaction score
It worked for a few hours today, then it quit connecting. Turns out my IP changed. I updated the app and it's working again, for now. Does anybody know what I'm missing?

Edit: Ah, that's why there's the http://xxxxxxx.subsonic.org address option. Now I understand What alphawave7 was getting at!

Last edited:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
mecanto > subsonic

works just as good and doesnt cost $12 after 30 days to stream to your phone...

how is the streaming as far as buffering for mecanto over 3g? does it play video? im hardly home so wifi is almost not an option. when im at starbucks per se..im with clients so music listen isnt on the list. LOL but driving music is a must. or at the airport.

alphawave7

Reaction score
mecanto > subsonic

works just as good and doesnt cost $12 after 30 days to stream to your phone...

Where did you get that impression? Subsonic is FREE (as in beer)...Sindre has a donations page for contributions towards development. AFAIK, there's no time-out on either the app or the server.

BTW, when at work, use SubAir to stream your home collection to work. :)

The www.johndoe.subsonic.org user address is a perk of donating to Sindre/subsonic, but any dynamic dns service will suffice (eg. dyndns.org)

alphawave7

Reaction score
BTW, I just learned MeCanto requires you upload your entire collection to their servers...what a waste of time/bandwidth! Not gonna do that with my 500+ gigs of tunage!

LT*

Reaction score
BTW, I just learned MeCanto requires you upload your entire collection to their servers...what a waste of time/bandwidth! Not gonna do that with my 500+ gigs of tunage!

Holy Crap! :icon_eek:

baaldemon

Reaction score
The donation is required to continue using the APIs that the android app uses, however I don't believe there is a minimum requirement on what will get you the license key.

However you can take the code and most likely modify it to not have that restriction. I donated much more than the suggested because its an awesome program. I've also rebuilt and modified the application to handle a couple things differently, though I haven't looked into the licensing code to see what that would take.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
This doesn't happen to stream the other direction does it? My outdoor/patio speakers are connected to my HT Amp, which is connected to my HTPC. If I could sit on my patio and stream audio from my phone to my outdoor speakers I'd be in 7th heaven.

(right now I just throw on a pandora channel and walk outside... problem is I don't have anyway to easily change music, pause, adjust volume, etc)