Droid Overclock and Battery Life.

XanRules

Reaction score
Hi, kids.
I'm curious as to what sort of changes in battery life, if any, people are noticing with their overclocked phones. In particular I'm looking at differences between using the ondemand governor and performance - apparently the stock settings use the "performance" governor at 1.00GHz. I thought it would have used Ondemand.

Also curious as to the purpose of the various voltage settings.

So, any results, research, etc?

Thanks!

Sent from my Droid2 using my thumbs

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Well.
1.2GHz, medium voltage, performance...
Temperature is 118F. Back to Ondemand until I figure things out.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can OC up to 1.35 and i have it with the on demand governor. My temps never really get over 104F even while im streaming youtube or pandora. I am also on LV. I find that if you go with MV or HV the voltage of the 1.25ghz are 78v+. 1.2ghz LV is 73v and i like to try and keep mine under 70v and i go like 75v max

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
I can OC up to 1.35 and i have it with the on demand governor. My temps never really get over 104F even while im streaming youtube or pandora. I am also on LV. I find that if you go with MV or HV the voltage of the 1.25ghz are 78v+. 1.2ghz LV is 73v and i like to try and keep mine under 70v and i go like 75v max
I'm just wondering what the differences in voltages are from a layman's standpoint. Battery life?

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Second issue: I have my frequencies set to 1.2GHz and to be set to 1.2GHz at boot, but when I boot the phone up it automatically ramps up to 1.25GHz or 1.3GHz.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the voltage that each slot runs is kinda like how much current that can get to the processor. The slots are kinda like the transmission of a car as the cpu needs higher processing speeds to keep up with the amount of data it goes from slot 1/2/3/4. 1 is kinda like 1st gear just for idling and not much speed. Slot 4 is like 4th gear being faster an allowing the processor to keep with the work load. The volatages have to keep getting higher through each as it goes from 1 to 4 so the so the processor will have enough fuel to run higher clock speeds. ULV seems to be the best for battery but not all phones can run it and be stable. I run at LV just because it seems to have less lag turning on the screen. I posted some links below that i hope will help you out.

Setting clock speeds at boot only needs to be done once you have tested each overclock setting for bout a day or so. Thats just IMO. You should be able to take the clock speeds back to stock when you boot by just setting it stock settings and then set that so the phone uses that when it starts up then you can just overclock it once you get it booted. If thats what your looking to do. Although when the phones first boots the CPU usually peaks while it is loading all the user data and while it is starting apps that may start at boot.

Hope this can help out Xan

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-tech-issues/104561-voltages.html

How to Overclock the Motorola Droid - 1000umbrellas.com

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Thanks.
Transmission gear ratios are something I'm a lot more familiar with (no sarcasm)

Looks like I have reading to do!

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im a car man myself and if i translate things into a car language its kinda easier to learn haha. Its also no problem. If you have any questions while you read feel free to ask.

Are you able to pull up a screen with battery usage statistics? kinda like what uses the battery the most and what uses it the least and how many hours your phone has been running?

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
I can indeed.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Being used by display and... calendar storage?
I never use my calendar.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Second issue: I have my frequencies set to 1.2GHz and to be set to 1.2GHz at boot, but when I boot the phone up it automatically ramps up to 1.25GHz or 1.3GHz.
Also, any ideas on this?
Back in car terms, that's like tuning my car for 16psi and having it spike to 18psi.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well let's see. Its kinda like when you first crank up your car on a cool mornin and the engine idles a lil higher so it can it warm up. The cpu usually spikes at start up so it can keep up with all the data being loaded. It also could described by a turbo having to spool up to the set boost when the turbo starts up.

I hope that can make some sense. What I do is I keep the stock voltages and cpu speeds when the phone is starting up and once the phone starts I overclock it usually 1.2-1.3ghz. I don't really mess with the set at boot option. I think there is a "revert to stock settings" option in the overclock app.

The display and system should be top users of battery. Ill post a pic of my battery stats below.

4b6e6af7-8394-2c67.jpg

Sent from my Liberated D2

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Reaction score
Ah, you're not setting at boot.
That may be why it's spiking (similar to how boost can spike in cold weather).

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I just kinda leave the set at boot option alone. After my phone boots I will overclock it. Seems to be more stable this way

Sent from my Liberated D2