Droid Maxx Dock

soccermike

Reaction score
Griffin dock is awful. Try the Jumbl dock.

It does go into Dock Mode but it's a B!tch getting the phone to go into it (the usb to line up) . Especially with that holster/case. Do you know of another dock, other than the Griffin?

I purchased the Jumbl Qi Wireless Car Charging Kit and Phone Stand. Wireless charging works well with my Droid Maxx. What you lose though is notification of the car dock mode. The Droid Maxx uses the USB connector to determine what type of base it is attached to. This method, however, is worthless for wireless charging. A new notification method is required. Google, please address this and create a platform to expand wireless charging, not make us lose functionality.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
I purchased the Jumbl Qi Wireless Car Charging Kit and Phone Stand. Wireless charging works well with my Droid Maxx. What you lose though is notification of the car dock mode. The Droid Maxx uses the USB connector to determine what type of base it is attached to. This method, however, is worthless for wireless charging. A new notification method is required. Google, please address this and create a platform to expand wireless charging, not make us lose functionality.

The cable does not turn on dock mode... it works with a magnet like all Droids have since the OG Droid. I can put a magnet on the back of my Maxx and enable the car or desk dock mode depending on where the magnet is placed.

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I built the Droid Maxx dock using the guide by waahiven about two weeks ago. I have been testing it out and I have some questions for other members who have completed the build.

I, like waahiven, installed the Droid Razr Maxx dock charging dock affixed to a case.
The issue I'm having is charging. I went on a two and half hour car trip and had GPS navigation running. The screen was back lit and it was in use the whole time. On previous trips using just my USB cable to charge, the Maxx stayed at the 99% mark even with GPS Nav and Streaming Radio active. Now using the car dock attachment from my old Droid Razr Maxx, I went from 96% down to 80%. It seams that the Dock assembly does not charge as fast as power is drawn. Keep in mind that inside the dock there is a circuit board not meant for use with the Droid Maxx. Pictured here....
Internal Shot Of Dock.jpg

Has anyone else seen this or tested it? I have a three and a half hour drive to Maine coming up later this month in which I will test the dock charging capability with the straight Micro USB charging. Dock on the way up, cable on the way back. I'll let you know for sure.

Also, the magnetic trigger for Car Dock Mode on the Droid Maxx is located where the faint blue dot is on the back right of the phone case pictured here...
Location of Car Dock Trigger.jpg

You can affix a small Neodymium rare earth magnet nearby this location to trigger Car Dock Mode. It doesn't do much without third party apps as Moto did away with the built in car mode apps. It does make the main screen turn horizontal but not the active notifications.
Finished Droid Dock.jpgHorizontal Main Screen.jpgCarDock Mode.jpg

Hope someone can verify that their Droid Razr Maxx Dock Charger also has a difficult time charging, otherwise I might have a bad dock and I will have to rebuild the whole config.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
What did you open that connector with a chainsaw? :icon_eek:

What power adapter are you using in the lighter socket? I make sure I get one rated to do tablets to be sure I have enough power to my dock. Some power cords/adapters are only .500 to .750w I use a 2w lighter plug with a USB cable.

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
What did you open that connector with a chainsaw? :icon_eek:
Dremel Drill.
I had a Droid Razr for a while before I converted my Razr into a Razr Maxx using the kit. Dock was useless at that point. When I picked up the Droid Maxx I wanted the expandable ball mount from the back of the old dock. I had intended to install the mount on a case similar to the Otter Box Commuter.

What power adapter are you using in the lighter socket?
I am using the USB charger meant for the Droid Razr Maxx car dock Link. It's 850mAh. I have it hardwired into the center console so it would be a pain to replace. Furthermore, the charger charges the phone no problem without the use of the Droid Razr Maxx car dock.

Do you have charger issues on long road journeys?

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
The Razr and Razr Maxx used the same dock you just needed to remove the spacer that comes in the dock and the Razr Maxx would have fit IF you weren't using a case. I had the Regular Razr with a case and removed the spacer and the Razr in the case fit.

I haven't used the charger with the dock yet... I'll post up when I do whether it keeps the charge up or lets it drop.

I think this is the charger I have... http://www.scosche.com/chargers/usb-car-charger-dual-port

It's either that one or this one... http://www.scosche.com/chargers/ipad-usb-car-charger-two-port

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The Razr and Razr Maxx used the same dock you just needed to remove the spacer that comes in the dock

No, the bottom was really loose that way. Had to buy different docks. Trust me I owned about 4 of them.

galletta

Reaction score
A vote of confidence for the Griffin car dock

I haven't been able to find a dock for my Maxx yet. If someone finds one will you please post it here. Thank you!

I'm not sure why everyone hates the Griffin dock. Yes, it omits the cigarette lighter adapter but many cars have USB outlets already. And yes, it's a little flimsy but it's actually possible (and easy) to do one-handed. The horrendous car dock for the Razr Maxx required two hands stretched over the steering wheel. I do not miss that one. I really like the Griffin dock in stark contrast. The USB connector pivots so you can get it seated at an angle, then you push the top of the phone in. Like others, I wish I could use the files as a mass storage drive, though. Shame on them for not stringing all the wires through the device.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I liked the old dock better
1)it had the cigarret lighter adapter and the cord was long enough to reach it. With this I had to buy a Vzw car charger seperatly and the plug the cord into the USB adapter into it and let the Vzw car charger cord hang in floor as it was the right tip but too think to fit into the plastic of the dock

2) the old docks could remove the base and use a GPS sand weighted base that was movable but the ball of plastic is too small too swap out. So now u had to mount the car dick circle in the car and have to push the sunction cup lever each time I put it on the dash. With the old weighted base you could toss it in the dask and drop your phone in easily since USB was on side not bottom w new droid design you have to click it in. It's a longer process

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone hates the Griffin dock. Yes, it omits the cigarette lighter adapter but many cars have USB outlets already. And yes, it's a little flimsy but it's actually possible (and easy) to do one-handed. The horrendous car dock for the Razr Maxx required two hands stretched over the steering wheel. I do not miss that one. I really like the Griffin dock in stark contrast. The USB connector pivots so you can get it seated at an angle, then you push the top of the phone in. Like others, I wish I could use the files as a mass storage drive, though. Shame on them for not stringing all the wires through the device.

Hmm..Razr Maxx dock was one handed for me. The phone snapped in too..nice and tight. On my Griffiin dock, I can do it with one hand, but not very well because after the phone is in the dock, I have to squeeze the ends of the dock together to seat the usb connector into the phone. Otherwise it won't charge. This is my second dock, but the first did the same so I really didn't need to take that one in. All in all..I've gotten used to the dock and am okay with it. (Still miss the audio/usb cable tho).

hirize

Reaction score
a little help for me and then for you...

Thanks for your hard work, Kyle. I also moved from the RAZR to the MAXX and wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't having the same problem with docking in the car. I can follow all your photos, EXCEPT for step one. How did you get the little plate off to get to the screws? I have tried to pry it off with no success. Is there a trick?

As for the plastic nut you have broken, I did the same thing...overtightened in the Florida heat, I guess. I also glued it, but the brittle plastic finally broke again, even tho I was very careful. I too the parts and pieces into my neighborhood hardware store...you know, the one with the dusty shelves. They quickly tried all the nuts they had until they came up with a one inch monster that works just fine. Cost me about 47 cents and 10 minutes. It's not attractive, but it's on the back of the unit and I don't have to look at it. A little black spray paint would go a long way to hiding this. Hope this helps! - norma