Droid Maxx Dock

OP
D

donzz

Reaction score
You need to contact proclip.com and tell them you'd like a mount for the droid maxx. [email protected]

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

I received a response back today... Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in ProClip products.
Unfortunately, due to the extremely large number of devices released every year, we cannot make holders for them all.
Currently there are no plans to make a holder for your device. However, this may change depending on customer demand going forward. We can add your name to our list of customers who are interested in this holder. If we get a large enough response we may reconsider making a holder for your device. You will receive an email in the next 30 to 45 days letting you know if we are going to be making a holder or not.
In the meantime we do have several adjustable holders that may work for your device.

redfishrun

Reaction score
Just got the following e-mail from Pro-Clip. I had previously signed up to be notified if a holder was going to be made...:

Dear Customers,

We were finally able to purchase a Motorola Droid Maxx 4G

We will start designing a holder for the Motorola Droid Maxx 4G immediately.
This design process generally takes between 4 and 6 weeks once the design team obtains the device, but can take longer depending on the device.
Once we have a custom holder available for your device we will send you an email with a link to the products.

In the meantime we do have several adjustable holders that may work for your device with or without the use of a case.

You can find those items here: ProClip Universal Holders

Each product page has the dimensions the holder will accommodate. Please take good measurements of your device with any case you might be using; this will help you select the best ProClip Universal holder for your device.

Best regards,

Johan
Customer Service
ProClip USA, Inc.

jfriend33

Reaction score
4edytesy.jpg

Me too! Hope it has a few options like for hardwired charging!

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

redfishrun

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it will just be a holder, not a dock. But, who needs a charger with this phone?! though I do keep one in the car just in case:biggrin:

jfriend33

Reaction score
This is what they made for the razr maxx hd. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for our droid maxx.

But yes, seldom needs charging. My problem is long road trips, with screen on and navigating, you really need to be plugged in. Fingers crossed.

ForumRunner_20131104_174909.png

Sent from my XT1080m using Droid Forums

waahiven

Reaction score
RAZR car dock + Pink Commuter case = MAXX CHARGING DOCK

OK guys, first time poster on this forum... I think. And let me say up front I can be long winded to cover details I feel help some people but feel free to skip to the pics as I'm sure they probably are self explanatory for most.

But I agree with this thread from the beginning. I'm OG Droid > Razr> Droid Maxx, I owned moto car docks for all and loved them. I luckily read this thread before ordering the "official dock" made by Griffin. I was able to look at one in the store and saw immediately what everyone was complaining about. So I started thinking which led to tinkering and this is what I came up with. (I'll add that I bought this phone from a girl who had it a week, she bought two cases for it a purple Defender case and a pink commuter case and then bought an iphone instead, so I got the Maxx for $250 :) )

I purchased the Griffin Reveal case for the Maxx (the one with the plexi glass back) because it was the smallest and wanted something to protect it being so new to me. While bringing in all my stuff I ended up having my Razr car dock, and the previously mentioned purple and pink cases laying on the table when I had an idea.....

I tried slapping the Maxx in the Razr car dock and noticed that it allllllmost fit. But then thought even if it fit the micro usb plug wouldn't have lined up because it was offset to one side for the Razr and the Maxx is obviously centered. This led me to think I could disassemble maybe drill a few holes and align it to the center of the "cradle."

I then abandoned the idea of fitting the Maxx in the cradle portion that was made for the Razr.

Having the PINK! commuter case within reach I slapped my Maxx in it without the rubber insert made for the pink commuter case, without the rubber insert there is clearly a gap. So I then tried sliding the Maxx with my new griffin case into the pink outer commuter case shell... it surprisingly fit perfectly! the commuter case is very sturdy on the back and flexes just a little on the sides to allow the phone to slide in. Which is both what it is made to do and what would work perfectly in this application.

Here is the Griffin "Reveal" clear back case for the Maxx that I'm using as an acutally normal phone case

Here is my Maxx in the Griffin case

So the idea of using the sliding charging portion of the razr dock combined with the Droid Maxx commuter case looked promising. It just needed a little material removed from the bottom to allow the sliding micro usb port clearance. So I marked the area in black and started snipping with wire cutters haha

These 2 pica show a thin strip remaining but I later removed it as it added no strength to the new "design"

I put the phone + reveal case into the pink shell and lined up the charging port. Made a few percise measurements and markings with a sharpie. Making sure when mounted together the usb port would line up at the right depth height and width.

After outlining the placement of the charger portion of the dock onto the pink shell I used a piece of paper to copy the hole pattern from the underside of the charger portion of the doc and then marked where the holes needed to be drilled on the pink shell

After drilling the holes I screw the two pieces together (Starting to look like a real dock... a little)

You'll notice that the bottom two screws holes (the closest to the charging port) are empty. On the final setup I put the tiniest washer I could find between the cradle and charging port before putting the screw in one hole, and I left the other whole empty. Because the pink shell curves to fit the phone it needs a slight more gap away from the charging portion of the case. I originally left the two holes empty and it worked fine but thought one a screw and a washer would be more "legit". but with this setup the Male micro usb slides in PERFECTLY to the phone. I mean it literally slides into the phone better than the dock originally did for the droid razr it was designed for haha

So for me since the case is pink (clearly if someone wanted to attempt the same they'd just buy Black) I had to solve the problem with plastic binding paint

Reassembled with the super slim tiny washer under the bottum right most screw (visible with the flash in this pic)

I was concerned that the scews would scratch the back of the clear acrylic Griffin case. so I used small squares of black Gorilla tape to cover them. I thought of using the small round rubber protectors made for kitchen cabniet doors but didn't have any.

and Walla the finally product, a car dock that charges and all the ports are made for the phone so your CAMERA, SPEAKER PHONE, MIC, and all sound cancelling mics work perfect!! Please keep in mind I was snapping photos without planning on posting so some are not perfect AND you will notice black Gorilla tape on the tightening scew... this is an unrelated fix I over tighten it soon after getting it for the razr. But the Gorilla tape and epoxy has held up for years now haha. If anyone still reading allllll this knows where I can get a cheap replacement ball joint tightener please let me know.

It may be hard to believe but the whole thing is 100% sturdy and works perfect for me so far!! Again long winded but hope it helps somebody

-Kyle

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Okay, I've so got to do this!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Hmm..tempting..miss using the Razr Maxx dock. In fact, I'm trying to sell it on ebay..Hmm..may have to take it off. I see tape on the big nut tightening the ball to the mount. Is the nut broke?

waahiven

Reaction score
Hmm..tempting..miss using the Razr Maxx dock. In fact, I'm trying to sell it on ebay..Hmm..may have to take it off. I see tape on the big nut tightening the ball to the mount. Is the nut broke?

Its worth it. Its a perfect dock setup, just as good as the it was for the RAZR itself. I explained the tape but yes I broke the nut over a year ago used epoxy and gorilla tape works perfect. But would like to replace it.

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Nice write up waahiven!

You are very thorough with your posts and I appreciate it.

I attempted to disassemble my old Razr dock and failed miserably. I think I will try it once again thanks to your guide. This time I won't hack the dock to bits with the dremel drill and I will just unscrew the back plate LOL!
Docks.jpg
Thanks!

By the way, as you can see in my picture, I have MANY spare screw nuts for the dock. PM me your address and I will send you one if you want.

waahiven

Reaction score
HA man you did go to town with the Dremel. Did you end up with a working dock?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Nice write up waahiven!

You are very thorough with your posts and I appreciate it.

I attempted to disassemble my old Razr dock and failed miserably. I think I will try it once again thanks to your guide. This time I won't hack the dock to bits with the dremel drill and I will just unscrew the back plate LOL!
View attachment 68813
Thanks!

By the way, as you can see in my picture, I have MANY spare screw nuts for the dock. PM me your address and I will send you one if you want.

You do know that if you pry up the long rectangular plate in the middle there's a series of small screws and it comes off clean?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You do know that if you pry up the long rectangular plate in the middle there's a series of small screws and it comes off clean?

I was un-aware until waahiven's post. I have since taken apart one of the docks and I am currently awaiting the arrival of the Otter Box Commuter Case scheduled for Tuesday delivery.
I made the difficult conversion from the original Droid Razr to the Razr Maxx via the kit. You think I would be able to find the panel on the dock . . Nope!
I know what I'll be doing on Christmas morning this year.

The remnants of the dock did not function properly and I abandoned my efforts until now.

Thanks again waahiven!

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Just got my Maxx and ordered a Holster Case because that what I have for my two year old Razr and it still looks new when I take the case off.

Problem is I also ordered the Griffin car dock since it is the "official" dock for the phone.
Only thing good is I got both virtually free because I called and complained that two days after I ordered my Maxx for $199 it goes on sale for $149. Customer service gave me a $45 credit toward the holster and dock.
As another poster said I have had OG Droid, Droid Razr and now the Maxx and the docks have always been great and designed to work with the cases on. This Grifffin crap has got to go. Looks like I'll be doing some modding on Friday once my holster and dock get here.

Does the Griffin at least hold the phone/case combo securely? If it does I may just figure a way to extend the USB connector to protrude farther to work with the case installed.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Update Just posted this on G+ Maxx page

Griffin Made 4 Moto Car Dock... Don't bother!
Just received the dock not an hour ago and inserted the phone. car mode started up as promised and the home screens switched to landscape mode just like with the Razr. I was not impressed with how difficult it was to insert the phone and get the usb lined up with the phone but it went in. I tried to remove the phone from the dock and pulled the usb connector wires and all right off the dock... FAIL Motorola FAIL Griffin.
I am now looking over the old Razr dock to modify to fit the Maxx.
This junk is going back to Verizon and Moto, Google and Griffin are getting E-mails.