Droid Maps vs. iPhone Maps

reggin

Reaction score
Today I was viewing maps side by side with an iPhone, and the iPhone was considerably faster rendering the quadrants. The iPhone map view was also overlayed with terrain. Some serious processing going on here folks.

What gives? Apparently the iPhone does this better at this point. Can anyone with both devices test this? And if this is the case, how can the Droid get faster? I know it's capable.

I don't care if the Droid ever gets faster than the iPhone in this regard, I just want it to be faster than what it presently is and be on par with the iPhone for practicality reasons. It had me admiring the way it handled rendering.

Cheers

mjs31

Reaction score
Today I was viewing maps side by side with an iPhone, and the iPhone was considerably faster rendering the quadrants. The iPhone map view was also overlayed with terrain. Some serious processing going on here folks.

What gives? Apparently the iPhone does this better at this point. Can anyone with both devices test this? And if this is the case, how can the Droid get faster? I know it's capable.

I don't care if the Droid ever gets faster than the iPhone in this regard, I just want it to be faster than what it presently is and be on par with the iPhone for practicality reasons. It had me admiring the way it handled rendering.

Cheers

Seems to me that would be more network orientend...no? May be where you where at.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
Seems to me that would be more network orientend...no? May be where you where at.

Not sure, but someone needs to look into this. Map rendering NEEDS to be faster. Even when you've already scanned an area of the map, and leave it and go back to the place you were just looking at, the previous rendereing should stay in memory for a bit longer.

If you look into your SD card you'll see they do cacheing for navigation, they need to do this for regular maps as well. There's plenty of SD memory.

mjs31

Reaction score

Not sure, but someone needs to look into this. Map rendering NEEDS to be faster. Even when you've already scanned an area of the map, and leave it and go back to the place you were just looking at, the previous rendereing should stay in memory for a bit longer.

If you look into your SD card you'll see they do cacheing for navigation, they need to do this for regular maps as well. There's plenty of SD memory.

I no longer have an Iphone, but I have not yet had an issue with map rendering not keeping up. May be that I just have not noticed it.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I don't know for sure but I suspect it is coverage dependent as I've not noticed any delay in map rendering either.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
I'm on wifi at home now and it's doing the same thing, so I believe it's not a coverage issue.

The Droid renders maps really fast, just not faster than the iPhone I was comparing it to. The iPhone just seemed smoother and faster with barely noticeable lag issues.

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the maps with navigation is a BETA, which means it's not fully debugged and locked down. It will be moderately slower than a final version.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the maps with navigation is a BETA, which means it's not fully debugged and locked down. It will be moderately slower than a final version.

Not referring to Nav maps. Just talking about regular old maps app, scrolling through the city or what have you. Nav maps works great!

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
I have just discovered one thing, if you scroll and hold your finger on the screen, the map will not render until you release finger. But I can't remember if I was doing this yesterday.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score

Not referring to Nav maps. Just talking about regular old maps app, scrolling through the city or what have you. Nav maps works great!

Oh, I was confused too, I thought you were talking about navs. I'll try my iPhone and Droid on wi-fi and compare them.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
Update: on wifi map rendering is way faster than 3G network.

Hey Donkey Hodie, please try this test on the 3G networks. Thanks

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Update: on wifi map rendering is way faster than 3G network.

Hey Donkey Hodie, please try this test on the 3G networks. Thanks

I can't, I no longer have AT&T so my iPhone has turned into an iPod touch. I also use it at home because there's one app that it has that uses wi-fi and doesn't exist (yet) on the Droid.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
I just downloaded My Tracks, (read from another thread) and it renders maps much better and will cache previously looked at quadrants. And it has other way cool features to go along with it. Sweeeeettttt!!!!

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
I'm on wifi at home now and it's doing the same thing, so I believe it's not a coverage issue.

The Droid renders maps really fast, just not faster than the iPhone I was comparing it to. The iPhone just seemed smoother and faster with barely noticeable lag issues.

i agree, i just got home and i was playing with the GPS/maps on the way, it works fine, it recalculates great, and giving me a photo at the end of my trip is great, a visual of your destination with a rotation option.