Droid Maps vs. iPhone Maps

10ACTony

Reaction score
Today I was viewing maps side by side with an iPhone, and the iPhone was considerably faster rendering the quadrants. The iPhone map view was also overlayed with terrain. Some serious processing going on here folks.

What gives? Apparently the iPhone does this better at this point. Can anyone with both devices test this? And if this is the case, how can the Droid get faster? I know it's capable.

I don't care if the Droid ever gets faster than the iPhone in this regard, I just want it to be faster than what it presently is and be on par with the iPhone for practicality reasons. It had me admiring the way it handled rendering.

Cheers

You're comparing a new born to an adolescent. I think it's unfair to compare the current version of the iPhone with the droid. Apple's had 2 1/2 yrs to get that fine tuned and it still has problems. Hopefully a lot of the complaints and issues will be taken care of with forthcoming OS and app downloads. The Droid is one hell of a phone and unlike the iPhone on the 'can anyone hear me now' network, we have good support.

ericwiz

Reaction score
The only issue I have with maps is when I leave my driveway. This is because the phone is switching from WiFi to 3G. Once the switch happens or if I shut of WiFi first then it fine. I notice no slowdowns with the maps themselves.

One caveat to that. If I zoom in it takes a sec but then is fine again.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
The only issue I have with maps is when I leave my driveway. This is because the phone is switching from WiFi to 3G. Once the switch happens or if I shut of WiFi first then it fine. I notice no slowdowns with the maps themselves.

One caveat to that. If I zoom in it takes a sec but then is fine again.

I'm not referring to Google Nav Maps, just regular maps. A few posts earlier, I noted the My Tracks app that handles rendering a bit better. Regular maps should have the same qualities as far as rendering goes.

ericwiz

Reaction score
I meant regular maps too and not google navigation.

Maps will still track your location on the map via gps.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score
I meant regular maps too and not google navigation.

Maps will still track your location on the map via gps.

Gotcha...I never use maps in town and when I went to Atlanta, that's really the only time I've used Nav.

darreno1

Reaction score
One thing to also consider. The iPhone's screen has a lower resolution, so there is less processing to be done. I've compared layer to layer and the rendering and details on the Droid look so much better. Who cares if it's a little slower? I'll give up some speed for clarity.

phamous

Reaction score
the android 2.0 release on your droid isn't as stable as the developers would have wanted

you should be getting a 2.1 update sometime by the end of 2009

the droid was rush released and i'm sure if google had their way, they would have waited.

The Droid is NOT an iphone killer in any sense. It's a competitor. This one phone alone will not destroy the iphone and apple. Android has a long way to go, but we've made leaps and bounds in only 1 year since launch.

You can blame verizon if they raised your expectations to such a high degree. Until root access is acquired on this device, it's full functionality will never be discovered.

cdd543

Reaction score
Mine processes the maps on my wifi just as fast as my 3gs. From a cold start, the droid got a gps lock a lot faster too.

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
the android 2.0 release on your droid isn't as stable as the developers would have wanted

the droid was rush released and i'm sure if google had their way, they would have waited.

The Droid is NOT an iphone killer in any sense. It's a competitor. This one phone alone will not destroy the iphone and apple. Android has a long way to go, but we've made leaps and bounds in only 1 year since launch.

You can blame verizon if they raised your expectations to such a high degree. Until root access is acquired on this device, it's full functionality will never be discovered.

Interchangeable batteries ..

Insurance plan...

Verizon 3G/wireless network...

YEAH... its an iPHONE KILLER

darreno1

Reaction score

Not as stable? Really? Mine has been up for weeks without having to reboot. Besides, stability has very little to do with how fast it renders a map. Data size, complexity and network speed do.

As for the 'iPhone killer' comment. Well that is somewhat subjective. I consider the Droid superior to the iPhone in many ways, so to me, it's an iPhone killer. If we're talking market dominance though, that's a different story.

And again, the Android vs Iphone OS subject is also somewhat subjective as well. Personally, I consider Android to be superior, both in user interface, stability (based on my iPhone experience) and customization ability.

OP
reggin

reggin

Reaction score

Not as stable? Really? Mine has been up for weeks without having to reboot. Besides, stability has very little to do with how fast it renders a map. Data size, complexity and network speed do.

As for the 'iPhone killer' comment. Well that is somewhat subjective. I consider the Droid superior to the iPhone in many ways, so to me, it's an iPhone killer. If we're talking market dominance though, that's a different story.

And again, the Android vs Iphone OS subject is also somewhat subjective as well. Personally, I consider Android to be superior, both in user interface, stability (based on my iPhone experience) and customization ability.

Look guys, I'm not *****ing, really, just bringing up a topic that I noticed. I never prefaced that this was an iPhone killer, you guys did that. I don't care if it ever surpasses the iPhone in WHATEVER capacity.

The Droid and mostly Android OS is what I want to hold in my hands, it will only get better, I know.