Droid Incredible Overheating

NJS

Reaction score
All,

I apologize in advance if this question/problem has been addressed in a previous thread.

I have had my Droid Incredible since it's release. At present, I'm noticing that the battery is overheating. As a result it shuts down and reboots on its own. This cycle continues to occur unless I take out the battery. I've recently downloaded an App that monitors the battery temperature and it spikes to temperatures > 100 degrees Fahrenheit when I browse the web or use a news application on my phone. What is an acceptable range for battery temperatures?

I have not rooted the phone nor am I running ATK or any anti-virus applications. I've initiated several factory resets since this problem began and VZW offered no worthy advice.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed? I'm hesitant to contact the phone insurance company because I'd hate to spend $100 to receive a refurbished Incredible when that money can be set aside for my last phone upgrade.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't know the acceptable range for battery temperatures, but is it the same battery since the day you got it?

You could try to grab a new battery and see if that helps. They're fairly cheap too, check amazon, I bought one a couple weeks back for roughly $5.30

OP
N

NJS

Reaction score
I don't know the acceptable range for battery temperatures, but is it the same battery since the day you got it?

You could try to grab a new battery and see if that helps. They're fairly cheap too, check amazon, I bought one a couple weeks back for roughly $5.30

Yes, it's the same battery since the release in April 2010. I'll see if that addresses the issue but I remain skeptical.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes, it's the same battery since the release in April 2010. I'll see if that addresses the issue but I remain skeptical.

Might be some sort of placebo effect, but when I put in my new battery I felt my phone didn't get as warm. What I have noticed is the significant difference in how long my battery lasts though, so in a way, it's a win-win. You might solve your overheating problem and get a better battery life as well

cris

Reaction score
the overheating is a common issue, mine does it too, iv replaced the battery and the had the phone replaced 6 times for other issues. the one i have now, it resets 3 to 5 times a day at random, and it does get hot when on the net or playing games.

Pianoman178

Reaction score
I believe I'm having the exact same issue as you. I've had the phone for over a year and it just started maybe a month ago.

I've been monitoring my battery and haven't seen it get above 41 degrees C yet. What doesn't make sense to me is that there's no error/warning/indication message that tells me it's overheating. It just reboots whenever it wants.

I ordered a new battery from amazon. I'll see if that solves the problem...