Droid Hotspot or Jetpack........

steelpony5555

Reaction score
Ok what are the pros and cons of using my droid Ultra as a wifi hotspot compared to paying extra for a Jetpack. We don't use it much, usually only when we travel. And then it is just my wife and my laptops just checking emails and surfing the web when bored...Tnaks

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage to a jet pack is that you don't need to worry about your phone battery getting low. I've read somewhere that using your phone as a hotspot can lower the life expectancy of your battery, and does not condense data like a hotspot. Whether this is true or not, I'm unsure.
How often do you see either hotspot being used? If it is for hours every day, then I'd probably consider the jetpack. If it's a rare occasion and for a short period of time, I'd say do the phone, or even just look into a prepaid jetpack.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

OP
S

steelpony5555

Reaction score
Thanks, it would only be used maybe a month out of the year in the evenings when we are out traveling. We tried the prepaid hotspots, one from T Mobile, and it was worthless. Probably half the time we had no service. We do use it going down the road too. With Verizons we have had no problems connecting. But the Jetpack is $20 + fees a month. Just figured that now since there is no big deal in connecting to your Droids like there use to be, just figured why am I paying $20 a month extra. The girl at Verizon could only say that when you get a call it will kick you off line, which is no big deal to us.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a MiFi from AT&T, not the JetPack. I only use it one or twice a month but the fact that I have flexible access for other people without compromising my phone's security us important. I can connect multiple devices and feel its' much faster than going through the phone. I have even used it for my main computer when I lost Internet and still had the phone free for whatever else I needed.