Droid gets very hot when plugged into cigarette lighter in car

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today I was using my Droid in the Jeep while my wife and I traveled to visit some friends. When I left the house, I had 90% battery. I used the Google Maps and was using my official VZW cigarette lighter plug for the Droid, and about 75 miles later, I noticed my phone was very hot, and was down to 60%. How did that happen? So, I rebooted the phone, didn't turn Google Maps on at all, and when we reached our destination about 50 miles later, the phone was hot again, and battery was down to 30%.

I've seen this before, but not as extreme as today. Anyone think I have a bad charger? Or is this a common thing with others too?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Today I was using my Droid in the Jeep while my wife and I traveled to visit some friends. When I left the house, I had 90% battery. I used the Google Maps and was using my official VZW cigarette lighter plug for the Droid, and about 75 miles later, I noticed my phone was very hot, and was down to 60%. How did that happen? So, I rebooted the phone, didn't turn Google Maps on at all, and when we reached our destination about 50 miles later, the phone was hot again, and battery was down to 30%.

I've seen this before, but not as extreme as today. Anyone think I have a bad charger? Or is this a common thing with others too?

That does sound very extreme, but I too have noticed the phone running somewhat hotter than normal. I realized this is probably because the phone is actually has the sun glaring on it, I'm not running the AC, and the cigarette lighter port is prolly a tad different volts than outlet and USB.

I dunno, just a thought. I notice the same with heat, but nowhere near the issues you are having.

Perhaps your charger has gone faulty?

steve3624

Reaction score
Hot battery with car charger

My Incredible battery gets hotter then what I think is normal when it's being charged using the car charger. The house or charging through the computer USB port it's temp. feels normal. I am hoping the over heating won't damage the battery, but I suspect it will.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
My Incredible battery gets hotter then what I think is normal when it's being charged using the car charger. The house or charging through the computer USB port it's temp. feels normal. I am hoping the over heating won't damage the battery, but I suspect it will.

I wasn't seeing mine go above 40c that much... if yours is the same this should be normal, especially for charging

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing that concerns me is sure it gets hot, but why is it actually not charging but discharging when it's running hot like that? When on the home charger, I never have the issue.

Trip

Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks I have had the same issue Vulcan, sometimes my phone will get VERY hot and stop charging when its plugged into the car charger. I too have the Verizon car adapter. Mine will usually cool down and charge after I've done a battery pull and restart.

I haven't found a "cause" yet, it just seems to be random, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Sorry I cant be more help, but at least you know your not alone.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
The thing that concerns me is sure it gets hot, but why is it actually not charging but discharging when it's running hot like that? When on the home charger, I never have the issue.

As far as it not charging when your running navigation, I read somewhere else once that this is caused because the navigation app draws more power than is going through your charger. This doesn't explain the other issues though. IMO if you've had your phone for a while, start by replacing the battery. This could explain/solve both the heat issues as well as the short life. Before replacement (I don't think it will help much, but its worth a try) drain your battery completely; then recharge again and see if it clears it up even a little. If if clears up the issue even a little then you know you need to replace your battery. If not, then replace the battery anyway ;)

More than likely its not your charger, there are hard failsafes that if too much throughput goes through, they trip, and the thing will just give out. I have heard horror stories about charges giving way, and melting the battery out of something...but thats very very rare.

Also, if your rooted and running over clocked; I would adjust your CPU settings as far down as managable for you during charging. The phone naturally gets hot during charging, so adding more heat by over clocking your CPU is just adding fuel to the proverbial fire.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone and your replies. I agree that the phone will get hot because of the sun when in the dock in the window. I had it sitting in the console where the shifter knob is to change to the different 4WD options, so it wasn't getting direct sunlight after I turned off Google Maps. I have 2 cigarette lighters in the Jeep and swapped between the two. Trip, unfortunate to hear you're having similar problems, but thanks for the tip about pulling the battery and restarting the phone. I will try that next time.

kristoff125

Reaction score
Well, is it the battery that gets hot, or just to the right of the camera on the back?

J

Johnly

I read somewhere in here Vulcan rider that the droid can take 180 degrees fahrenheit and be fine=) I had my gps on and my droid in my lap on a sunny day, and when I picked up my black phone, it was friggin hot! It still worked great. I hear they are engineered to take a dashboard in death valley, all day! Did it smoke? Did it stink? I googled iphone burning smell and that was an issue with them? hehe

foolydooly

Reaction score
I been experimenting and when you're on 3G network intensively (downloading massive amounts at once, on Google Map doing GPS, etc) your phone will get hot if your phone is rooted. My brother's unrooted phone doesn't seem to have this problem, strangely enough.

I think there should be some experiments... But for now, I think you should cut apps and cut down on power and should be fine. OverClock app (SetCPU) might be one of the guilty party.