Droid running hot (overclocked)

y2k2

Reaction score
I'm using Lithium Mod's 1.125 GHz kernel which is so far running smooth except:

I feel the phone runs hot all the time except when the screen is off(set in setcpu profile) and gives it a chance to finally cool down to 75-80F depending on how long screen is off.

The CPU temp doing moderate browsing, apps, etc is around 111-115F.
Now I just took a 2 hour trip and by the end of the trip the temps were fluctuating between 121-132F running Google maps and phone calls. So because of the profile my phone is constantly clocking down (profile set) to 550MHz.

I mean if my phone is contantly clocking down then whats the ponit of overclocking?
I heard of other people running rather way cooler than me.
Any reason why this phone runs hot? And once it reaches to steady 120F the phone tends to bog down heavily to the point where I can't even use the phone because it's so slow.

So here are my settings in hopes for any clues. And keep in my mind since I'm still testing, that I'm biased towards performance, highest frequency possible with highest cpu ramp-ups. Never mind battery juice at this point.

All profiles set to ON-DEMAND

Main profile: 300/1125

Screen off: 300/300

CPU Temp > 46.0C: 300/550

Temp > 46.6C: 300/550

Charging/AC/Full: 300/750

Charging USB/Full: 300/950

Battery < 20%: 300/350

Battery < 40%: 300/550

Advanced tab:
Sampling Rate: 30000
Up Threshold: 11
Ignore Nice: 0
PowerSave Bias: 0

BAttery temps are relatively stable around 95F. It's just the CPU temps that skyrocket and ramp up like crazy.

Thanks for your insight

212_NYC

Reaction score
that crazy you should not overclock the phone :) i did overclock my 930 :)

tekmystic

Reaction score
Due to slight variations in the manufacturing process, each phone's processor is slightly different. Some peoples Droids behave very well with one kernel and run hot or get force closes overclocking with a different kernel.

It takes quite a bit of testing to figure out which kernel runs best for your droid.

I suggest trying some of chevyno1's kernels many people have very good results with those kernels. P3Droid also makes some that seem to work extremely well.

Truth is there are lots of great kernels out there, a kernel that is great for one Droid, might run hot or Force Close, or corrupted data problems a lot on a different Droid.

I recommend to try a Low voltage 1GHz kernel those seem to work well for most people's phones, if your phone runs stable and cool under that kernel then maybe try some uLV kernels and keep an eye on temperature and general phone behavior always.

Work your way up gradually to the higher frequency kernels always testing and noticing any erratic behavior.

If you have problems with the low or uLow kernels medium voltage may be best for your droid.

Chevyno1 Froyo Kernels

P3Droid Kernels

Last edited:
OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score
Due to slight variations in the manufacturing process, each phone's processor is slightly different. Some peoples Droids behave very well with one kernel and run hot or get force closes overclocking with a different kernel.

It takes quite a bit of testing to figure out which kernel runs best for your droid.

I suggest trying some of chevyno1's kernels many people have very good results with those kernels. P3Droid also makes some that seem to work extremely well.

Truth is there are lots of great kernels out there, a kernel that is great for one Droid, might run hot or Force Close, or corrupted data problems a lot on a different Droid.

I recommend to try a Low voltage 1GHz kernel those seem to work well for most people's phones, if your phone runs stable and cool under that kernel then maybe try some uLV kernels and keep an eye on temperature and general phone behavior always.

Work your way up gradually to the higher frequency kernels always testing and noticing any erratic behavior.

If you have problems with the low or uLow kernels medium voltage may be best for your droid.

Chevyno1 Froyo Kernels

P3Droid Kernels

i actually tried Chevy's and found out Lithium's runs the smoothest on my phone so I kept that.
P3Droid I can't even get to run at all. It constantly crashes.

Thanks for the detail advice though, I will give Chevy's another try though.

And joeybarclay thanks for the temps post. This actually helps to ease my question about temps and I guess it's ok. If a stock phone gets up to those tems then an overclocked phone certainly will.

Thanks

rctp10

Reaction score

Chevyno1 Froyo Kernels

P3Droid Kernels

i actually tried Chevy's and found out Lithium's runs the smoothest on my phone so I kept that.

And joeybarclay thanks for the temps post. This actually helps to ease my question about temps and I guess it's ok. If a stock phone gets up to those tems then an overclocked phone certainly will.

Thanks

Try to use a slayer kernel. They all work great on my phone but i would try a slayer 1.0 ghz lv. If you get the right version of slayers kernel you wont need to set profiles in set cpu because of a neat function called interactive, this will run your phone at a high speed when using it and at a very slow speed when your phone hibernates. I would defiantly give slayer a shot his kernels are cutting edge and run very cool as far as temp goes. Another thing that may be causing your heat issues is what apps you are running, even on a stock vanilla droid you will overheat with games, online, videos, etc.

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score

Chevyno1 Froyo Kernels

P3Droid Kernels

Thanks

Try to use a slayer kernel. They all work great on my phone but i would try a slayer 1.0 ghz lv. If you get the right version of slayers kernel you wont need to set profiles in set cpu because of a neat function called interactive, this will run your phone at a high speed when using it and at a very slow speed when your phone hibernates. I would defiantly give slayer a shot his kernels are cutting edge and run very cool as far as temp goes. Another thing that may be causing your heat issues is what apps you are running, even on a stock vanilla droid you will overheat with games, online, videos, etc.

So you are telling me that the temperature Control is built into the kernet itself?

Because I'm actually sick and tired of getting ForceCloses on SetCPU, not that it's a huge deal because it still runs as a service and it restarts but it's annoying.
I don't actually play games as much as a "gamer" would. I use google maps a lot, Internet. I mean if I'm using google maps alone navigating for 2 hours, that alone will overheat it. It will take almost 2 hours but it will overheat, even when my charging profile is set at 950MHz

rctp10

Reaction score
So you are telling me that the temperature Control is built into the kernet itself?

Because I'm actually sick and tired of getting ForceCloses on SetCPU, not that it's a huge deal because it still runs as a service and it restarts but it's annoying.
I don't actually play games as much as a "gamer" would. I use google maps a lot, Internet. I mean if I'm using google maps alone navigating for 2 hours, that alone will overheat it. It will take almost 2 hours but it will overheat, even when my charging profile is set at 950MHz[/QUOTE]

No it wont moderate ur temp. But it will allow the processor to run at a recommended speed. Google nav alone will cause serious heat but all u need to do is have a fail safe profile set in set cpu this will aloow ur phone to clock down or shut off if it hits a certain temp,this is a sure way to keep ur phone from frying the processor. Make sure u don't dolck it in the sun while in ur car that's most ur heat. I would set fail safe at 125f.
This is my setup: liquid 1.7.1
Slayer 1275 mhz
Invertnito
Custom themes by myself and lp

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score

I don't actually play games as much as a "gamer" would. I use google maps a lot, Internet. I mean if I'm using google maps alone navigating for 2 hours, that alone will overheat it. It will take almost 2 hours but it will overheat, even when my charging profile is set at 950MHz

No it wont moderate ur temp. But it will allow the processor to run at a recommended speed. Google nav alone will cause serious heat but all u need to do is have a fail safe profile set in set cpu this will aloow ur phone to clock down or shut off if it hits a certain temp,this is a sure way to keep ur phone from frying the processor. Make sure u don't dolck it in the sun while in ur car that's most ur heat. I would set fail safe at 125f.
This is my setup: liquid 1.7.1
Slayer 1275 mhz
Invertnito
Custom themes by myself and lp[/QUOTE]

ok cool thanks for the info. Actually can you post a link to Slayer's kernels? If not no big deal, i'll search next week when I have some more time.

I do have profiles which I will post below.
Unfortunately I have a really cool windshield mount that I use to navigate and yeah the I believe the sun actually helps to heat the phone faster.

What I'm running:
Lithium Mod 1.125 GHz

Apps which I think are more resource intensive that I'm running:

Live Wallpapers
Lookout AV
Google Maps
Internet Browser
Music Player
Angry Birds -(lol once in a while)

SetCPU
Scaling: All set to On-demand

Main Profile: Max 1125 Min 300

Profiles in highest to lowest priority
Screen off Max/Min = 300
CPU /temp > 120.2F Max = 550 Min = 300
Temp > 120.2F Max = 550 Min = 300
Charging AC/Full Max = 750 Min = 300
Charging USB/Full Max = 950 Min = 300
Battery < 20% Max = 350 Min = 300
Battery < 40% Max = 550 Min = 300

Advanced tab
Sampling Rate = 30000
Up Threshold = 11
Ignore Nice load = 0
Powersave Bias = 100

rctp10

Reaction score
I would also try some different roms out, give liquid a try, or UD, Project elite is also a smooth rom. This may help your temps. i would also try a 1 ghz instead of 1175. Just go through these forums and find what you want download and flash. All the rom links should also have kernel links. Also keep in mind that an average temp while running programs is going to be in the 100's this is normal. This processor is very durable and can handle heat all the way up to 140F. I have seen 124F on my phone and i just simply put it up to the air conditioner, or pull the battery. If you do end up switching roms around make sure you do a data/factory reset in sp. Do it about 3 or 4 times just to insure you do not have any conflicting problems. I would also make sure to do a nanidroid restore to the first time with root on the phone. This will also insure you have a very clean install. make sure you do your main rom install first then kernel then theme. I would mess around with the base rom with the kernel of choice first just to see how it runs compared to others you have tried. I usually start out with a quadrant test to see how well my processor and graphics are running then i will do a stress test on the processor and see how long i can run it with no errors. I would defiantly try Liquid first then Project Elite both these roms have slayer kernels and they run very very smooth. Personally i like liquid but all roms run different on different phones

Last edited:
OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score
I would also try some different roms out, give liquid a try, or UD, Project elite is also a smooth rom. This may help your temps. i would also try a 1 ghz instead of 1175. Just go through these forums and find what you want download and flash. All the rom links should also have kernel links. Also keep in mind that an average temp while running programs is going to be in the 100's this is normal. This processor is very durable and can handle heat all the way up to 140F. I have seen 124F on my phone and i just simply put it up to the air conditioner, or pull the battery. If you do end up switching roms around make sure you do a data/factory reset in sp. Do it about 3 or 4 times just to insure you do not have any conflicting problems. I would also make sure to do a nanidroid restore to the first time with root on the phone. This will also insure you have a very clean install. make sure you do your main rom install first then kernel then theme. I would mess around with the base rom with the kernel of choice first just to see how it runs compared to others you have tried. I usually start out with a quadrant test to see how well my processor and graphics are running then i will do a stress test on the processor and see how long i can run it with no errors. I would defiantly try Liquid first then Project Elite both these roms have slayer kernels and they run very very smooth. Personally i like liquid but all roms run different on different phones

Thanks for all those tips, very informative, I will try some of those options as well.
I've actually been pretty happy with Lithium's kernel aside from the fact that when it overheats past 124 which is what I have set in my setcpu profile, it clocks down to 550MHz. So my point is why even overclock if it clocks down althouhg I'll say that the percentage of use at the higher overclocked frequencies(1.125GHz) is about 60-65% but I mean that's pretty close to the left.
I mean if I have to pull the battery or put it near the AC when it overheats that defenitely defeats the purpose. ALTHOUGH YES I UNDERSTAND something overclocked is just that. Wasn't probably meant to be run at constant overclocked speeds for a long period of times because of design.

On that note: does anybody know what these options are on the SLAYER download page?

slayher_v1.3_temp_1100.zip

slayher_v1.3_temp_1200.zip

1.1GHz and 1.2GHz frequency yes but what about temp?

The other links I get what it says, some of them are LV,SV, etc

thanks all

Reneg4d3

Reaction score
I just installed the LithiumMod NG .0.0.5 using the 1.125 GHz setting. I just installed SetCPU and there is no CPU Temp option... When I had CyanogenMod6.1RC4 installed there was a CPU temp option in the SetCPU Profiles. This option is no longer there. Any reason as to why this is happening?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Could be the kernel. It shows up on mine..?

I just installed the LithiumMod NG .0.0.5 using the 1.125 GHz setting. I just installed SetCPU and there is no CPU Temp option... When I had CyanogenMod6.1RC4 installed there was a CPU temp option in the SetCPU Profiles. This option is no longer there. Any reason as to why this is happening?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Reneg4d3

Reaction score
I just downloaded the 1GHz version of the kernel and the OMAP sensor isn't showing up at all. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

brando56894

Reaction score
120F? Psh thats nothing, Ive had my phone up to 180F!! Its a processor under a heavy work load, of course its going to get warm. It wont damage the phone really unless you keep it at high temps (140F+) for a while. Dont worry about the temp unless its above 140 for awhile, the critical temp for the processor is around 210F.