Droid gets very hot when plugged into cigarette lighter in car

rjsurfer

Reaction score
When your phone reaches a certain temp the phone will stop charging, I'm assuming to keep your battery from blowing up.

For me it only happens when attached to the suction cup mount on the window when running Google Maps on a sunny day....it stops charging, then in awhile as things cool off it starts charging again. I have learned to just try and keep it out of the sun.

Ron W.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's an oddity to throw into the equation- On Monday I was in a Hotel in Palm Springs. I plugged it in into the WALL outlet in the dark hotel room with my standard charger.

I went to breakfast, came back an hour later and my Battery was DOWN 20% and the Phone was Frying at 136 Degrees F, the hottest I've ever seen it.

Yes I was in the desert, but my Hotel room was a cool 60 F with the AC on.

Thoughts?
Do you think it has something to do with low voltage running to that outlet in the room? Not sure if that's it or not. You might try plugging it into a different outlet and see if it does it again.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When your phone reaches a certain temp the phone will stop charging, I'm assuming to keep your battery from blowing up.

For me it only happens when attached to the suction cup mount on the window when running Google Maps on a sunny day....it stops charging, then in awhile as things cool off it starts charging again. I have learned to just try and keep it out of the sun.

Ron W.
I have also come to the conclusion that as soon as I run Google maps the phone overheats, no matter if I'm using the suction cup mount or not. I even tried turning down my SetCPU lower and still got very hot when running Google maps. I mostly use the maps along with my c:geo program when I'm geocaching with the Droid.

mmobley

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
****READ******

Battery runs hot in car charger.... Most likely you've bought yourself a nice 5 dollar or 10 dollar piece of China crap... Right?

Yea that's what I thought. Even cheap aftermarket wall chargers.

What happens is they have nothing inside to tell them when the battery is fully charged. Or to regulate the V going to your battery.

Will also heat and "bubble" your battery. Then instead of paying 30 dollars for a charger you can now pay 65 for a battery. :icon_ banana:

Anyways after market stuff is cheap for a reason. Not because it doesn't carry the Verizon Logo.

I learned this all the hard way with my first blackberry a long time ago.

So my closing statement would be. "say no to aftermarket crap"

And I'm crying on the inside right now. "I'm from Cleveland"

kristoff125

Reaction score
Like I said, the moto rapid charge is great, $30 retail supposedly, but you can get it under $10 with shipping on amazon.

jlippincott

Reaction score
Tip for cooling that hot battery

I've had the same problems when using Google Navigation and charging the phone. I also have a suction cup widow mount. I have found that if you point one of Air Conditioner ducts towards the back of the phone so that it is getting cool air while its charging, the battery will most likely keep charging.

Try it, and see if it works for you. I'd like to know if it does or it is just my dumb luck. Hope this helps.

Jeff L

Ron W.

kristoff125

Reaction score
I've had the same problems when using Google Navigation and charging the phone. I also have a suction cup widow mount. I have found that if you point one of Air Conditioner ducts towards the back of the phone so that it is getting cool air while its charging, the battery will most likely keep charging.

Try it, and see if it works for you. I'd like to know if it does or it is just my dumb luck. Hope this helps.

Jeff L

That's what I end up doing most of the time.