Droid Eris won't charge?

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
My gf owns the Eris and for the past few weeks the phone will not hold a charge , it shows it charging when it's plugged in and she'll let it charge over night, but when she pulls it off the charger it'll be just under half charged. It's also gotten worse in the last week, she charges it all night and when she pulls it off the charger, the red light is on and says the battery is drained!? wtf?!?!

She thought it might be the charger, so she bought a new one and still same problem. We took it for Verizon and they gave us a new battery since it's still under warranty, and still no luck, same problems.

Anyone else experience this with their Eris?
Should we just take the phone back and exchange it for a new one?

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
I would take it back to Verizon and tell what what's going on, sounds like something on the phone isn't working.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Known problem, especially if you've ever dropped your phone. There was a thread around about it.

Bottom line, you have to contact Verizon.

OP
S

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
I don't think the phone has ever been dropped.

Took it to Verizon today and the idiot rep first told me that the battery port is lose, and that could be the problem, then after looking at the phone he was like "Oh, your problem is the background data, it needs to be turned off"

I patiently told him that it was only on because we just factory reset the phone last night and forgot to turn it back off, but we have tried it with it off for a couple days and still had no luck, he then tells me that he's "almost 100% certain that's the problem"

I told him the problem is not the battery draining fast, that it's not charging at all! even if it says he is, he tells me the effects could take a couple days once we turn off the background data and to give it a week, if it still has the same problem to come back and exchange the phone. WTF I had to leave because I had some other errands to run.

I get home and plug it in, and it's still having the same problem, it's not charging. I hate verizon reps!!!! ugggggh. sorry for the long rant! had to vent! :icon_evil:

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Sounds like he was just trying to get rid of you. Perfect example of our lost service industry in this country.

Btw, I had similar issues and a new battery helped but still had battery drain. Upgraded to Moto.

Good luck!

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid ~

OP
S

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
Sounds like he was just trying to get rid of you. Perfect example of our lost service industry in this country.

Btw, I had similar issues and a new battery helped but still had battery drain. Upgraded to Moto.

Good luck!

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid ~

Yea thats what it sounded like, I was there last week and got a replacement battery and still having the no charge issue. I'm going back later today and telling them I don't have a week and want a new phone now!!!!!!!! lol :icon_evil:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is a broken contact in the phone. It doesn't allow the phone to charge. There was a thread about this a while back. Take it back to the store, forget the rep and go right to the technical help counter. Explain the situation.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the droid and eris have the same micro usb but somehow the piece inside the port moved up and I held it in the middle with a knife and works fine again.... it was saying my phone was charging but it stayed at the same % all night long... hope that helps

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
The problem is a broken contact in the phone. It doesn't allow the phone to charge. There was a thread about this a while back. Take it back to the store, forget the rep and go right to the technical help counter. Explain the situation.

Do you have the link to the thread by any chance? I searched but I couldnt find it

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

Do you have the link to the thread by any chance? I searched but I couldnt find it

I searched but couldn't find it. It might have been on another forum, but a guy had the same problem and they had to give him a replacement phone.

OP
S

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
I went back, talked to a different person and she kept telling me that I needed a Task Manager to keep apps from draining my battery, I facepalmed and told her thats not the problem, she finally listened to what I was saying, found a charger and plugged in my phone, after a few minutes she took it off the charger and saw that there was no change and went ahead and ordered me a new phone. Took 3 people to finally listen to me and see it was actually the phone lol.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went back, talked to a different person and she kept telling me that I needed a Task Manager to keep apps from draining my battery, I facepalmed and told her thats not the problem, she finally listened to what I was saying, found a charger and plugged in my phone, after a few minutes she took it off the charger and saw that there was no change and went ahead and ordered me a new phone. Took 3 people to finally listen to me and see it was actually the phone lol.
so they advertise the apps but don't want you to use them? lol or want you to use them and want you to wait longer for them to start up since task killer stops them.... they really are hilarious sometimes... congrats on getting a new phone i know its worse then pulling teeth with them sometimes

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

Good, did you tell her what I told you? It is a known hardware issue.

OP
S

Sp4zZ

Reaction score

Good, did you tell her what I told you? It is a known hardware issue.

Yup I sure did, I told her that other Eris owners have had the same issue and she looked at me like all puzzled. lol

Thanks for all the help guys! dancedroid

OP
S

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
Update.

The phone arrived today, but when I went and opened the box, they sent me the Droid. I was like WTF, I looked at the receipt that they sent me and it had my phone number listed as the replacement phone, instead of my GF's number who owns the Eris (we're on the same family plan). Can I keep the Droid and activate it with my GF's number and send back the Eris? Or would they charge me for a new phone.
Has this ever happened to anyone? This damn Verizon store can't get anything right! ugh!