Droid camera fix - what we know now

cgarnes

Reaction score
Yes, well, when I press the camera button (the external gold one on the side), I expect that button to activate the camera function. Mine doesn't. When I want to take a photo, over 50% of the time, I have to activate the camera from the virtual button on the menu.

If they have acknowledged there is an issue, and they are going to fix it, well, that's fine, but I do expect a camera phone to work right out of the box. I'm not talking about a little focusing problem, though, that in and of itself is significant.

I believe they jumped production on this phone, as cool as it is, and it's going to be a fine phone - some day - but right now, it just has too many issues.

Fix coming, or not.

cgarnes

Reaction score
I would also like to see the source disclosed when I read things on here that go to this effect: "they are going to be addressing that in the update."

Says who? Where is the site that actually states what issues WILL BE addressed?

Source information, please. Thank you! I mean that in a positive way, just for the record, but as an English teacher, I need to know the source. With my "decision date" set for December 6th, I need the cold hard facts, and I have not heard any concrete information from the several technical support reps from VZN that I have spoken to over the past week and a half.

superglen99

Reaction score
hold the dedicated camera button down for one second and the phone will do a quick vibrate an 6 pages of things they were going to fix and the camera was on the last page

superglen99

Reaction score
sorry I mean if you hold the dedicated camera button for a second it will vibrate and turn on, easy.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would also like to see the source disclosed when I read things on here that go to this effect: "they are going to be addressing that in the update."

Says who? Where is the site that actually states what issues WILL BE addressed?

Source information, please. Thank you! I mean that in a positive way, just for the record, but as an English teacher, I need to know the source. With my "decision date" set for December 6th, I need the cold hard facts, and I have not heard any concrete information from the several technical support reps from VZN that I have spoken to over the past week and a half.

You can take a look at Motorola Droid OTA Update Coming December 11th? | Android Phone Fans On the last page is the camera issue.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Thank you, both, aaf709 and superglen99, I really appreciate your comments. The trouble with my phone is that it just wasn't working properly, and I really believe that is due to the charger that I had bought (from a Verizon store, too!). They replaced my phone, and, ever since, I've had no problems.

cgarnes

Reaction score
sorry I mean if you hold the dedicated camera button for a second it will vibrate and turn on, easy.

Thanks, but just to clarify, I would have to hold my dedicated camera button in for much longer than a second; then, it would fail, and I would have to rely upon the app from the menu.

Verizon replaced my phone, so now, the new one is working perfectly. I think I just had a bad unit.

cuskit

Reaction score
As I had put the "rubber/plastic" case on right in the store the day I bought my Droid - I didn't even realize for five days that I HAD a dedicated button on the side! ;) I can see now why they have you press and hold for a second. I'd be constantly turning the camera on with that button...

Now I use that one all the time. Just wish the shutter button was not such a hair trigger. I'm taking many pictures too early before I'm focused or framed properly. Still trying to force my finger to stay away from the shutter button til I'm ready! :)

Fumble Fingers Mikey

MdicnMan

Reaction score
For the record, I really think this is an 'easy' fix. If you download Scan2PDF Mobile 2.0 Lite (free) and "scan" something, you will see that the lag is virtually non-existent. I think the camera app just needs an overhaul and of course the focus math bug needs to be resolved.

Holding my breath for the 11th.

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
Yes, well, when I press the camera button (the external gold one on the side), I expect that button to activate the camera function. Mine doesn't. When I want to take a photo, over 50% of the time, I have to activate the camera from the virtual button on the menu.

If they have acknowledged there is an issue, and they are going to fix it, well, that's fine, but I do expect a camera phone to work right out of the box. I'm not talking about a little focusing problem, though, that in and of itself is significant.

I believe they jumped production on this phone, as cool as it is, and it's going to be a fine phone - some day - but right now, it just has too many issues.

Fix coming, or not.

You have to hold the button down for a second or two. You might just have a defective button on your phone.

cgarnes

Reaction score

Fix coming, or not.

You have to hold the button down for a second or two. You might just have a defective button on your phone.

Bingo! I called tech support, and we went over several of the issues I had experienced, and they suggested a trip to the store for a sensor check (the virtual keyboard was also going crazy when plugged into the Cellet charger (that, yes, I bought from the Verizon store - and I made another post in here, somewhere about that issue). Verizon simply swapped out the phone for a replacement, and my Droid hass been a DREAM ever since.

I think I just had a bad unit (and I really believe it was related to that secondary charger that I bought - from the store).

Anyhow, thanks to Flexilis (I think it was called), backup was a breeze! Swoooosh! All of my stuff that I had saved was there, almost instantly, on my new phone!

I'm impressed. Greatly. Not just with the phone but also with the Verizon staff (from retail, to customer service, to tech support).

There's a reason my bill is a little higher. It's true, you DO get what you pay for.

:)

cgarnes

Reaction score
You got that right! YESSSSSS!

The Droid and I are going shopping today. This thing does EVERYTHING but let the dogs out and wash the dirty dishes, lol.

Oh, and the laundry, do you think there's something wrong with my Dirty Laundry.app?

:icon_ devil: