Droid camera fix - what we know now

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Is there a manual focus overide button so you can decide whether you want the camera to focus at 1 feet, 5 feet, 20 feet or infinity...or similar choices?

Relying on auto focus makes the camera do the thinking and sometimes the camera does not think to focus at the same distance the user wants to focus on...

ericwiz

Reaction score
That's a great question Alpha. I was wondering the same thing myself. I am still worried about the granularity as well. This 24.5 day thing had no effect on that, as we thought it would not.

A manual focus option would be great to have. I hope V, Moto and google are listening!

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
I've played briefly with the iphone and droid camera and video camera.

Both units seem to prefer that you stay at approx 1 foot or farther from the subject you are photographing. If you move closer, the subject will be out of focus.

chudilo

Reaction score
Shutter lag

Personally I think this camera is only borderline usable as the shutter lag is ridiculously long. Something needs to be done about that. I realize that this is not a dedicated camera and that I'm not supposed to expect the same type of image quality as a dedicated camera would produce. However the fact that the image capture takes place about 15 seconds after I press the button is rather unforgivable to me. I do not expect the image to be on the flash card right away, but I do expect the image to be captures when I press the button, not at a random time later. How often do you need to take a picture of a static environment? You're usually take pictures of people. A human being could do quite a bit in the 15 seconds it takes to capture the image.

Zero Cool

Reaction score
WOW im so glad this worked. or works and will be fixed. Much better. photos now look clean and clear.

Szyslak

Reaction score
Well I'll be...

Thanks for clearing up the issue. Anyone else think that might be the reason the OTA update is scheduled for Dec. 11th? Verizon knows they need to push that fix before the next "bad" cycle, but wants to give themselves as much time as possible to fix other issues before the update.

Ott

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of a bug that fixes itself then breaks itself again, pretty hilarious.

OP
J

JohnDroid

Personally I think this camera is only borderline usable as the shutter lag is ridiculously long. Something needs to be done about that. I realize that this is not a dedicated camera and that I'm not supposed to expect the same type of image quality as a dedicated camera would produce. However the fact that the image capture takes place about 15 seconds after I press the button is rather unforgivable to me. I do not expect the image to be on the flash card right away, but I do expect the image to be captures when I press the button, not at a random time later. How often do you need to take a picture of a static environment? You're usually take pictures of people. A human being could do quite a bit in the 15 seconds it takes to capture the image.

The reason for the lag is the time it takes to write the 5 megapixel image to the SD card. You can reduce it to 3 megapixel and it's quicker, or get a faster SD card.

josh

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of a bug that fixes itself then breaks itself again, pretty hilarious.
Well it's not actually fixed, it's just not happening right now. That type of thing actually happens quite often in software, but it's not usually on a fixed cycle like this. But it's common to have bugs seemingly disappear because the set of circumstances required to make them happen aren't occurring, only to have it come back when they do.

For example, in one application I worked on, an error occurred at the beginning of the month if the first of the month was a Saturday ...or something like that. I forget the exact details.

Ott

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of a bug that fixes itself then breaks itself again on a cycle like this, pretty hilarious.
Well it's not actually fixed, it's just not happening right now. That type of thing actually happens quite often in software, but it's not usually on a fixed cycle like this. But it's common to have bugs seemingly disappear because the set of circumstances required to make them happen aren't occurring, only to have it come back when they do.

For example, in one application I worked on, an error occurred at the beginning of the month if the first of the month was a Saturday ...or something like that. I forget the exact details.

There better? :)

branabolic

Reaction score
i gave my droid a hot soapy water bath and it seemed to have fixed the camera....

gtjokester

Reaction score

The reason for the lag is the time it takes to write the 5 megapixel image to the SD card. You can reduce it to 3 megapixel and it's quicker, or get a faster SD card.
perhaps upgrading the sdcard from a class 2 to a class 6 might help as well.. I noticed it took alot longer to load my music onto the class 2 over the class 4 I had in my G1.. keep meaning to get myself a class 6 but I guess I'm just lazy.. lol..

mcm180

Reaction score
hahahahahahahahahahahahah made my freakin day ... your comment did! hnahahahahahah

#YODA

Great.. The Droid has periods like my girlfriend.. . .

phone technology has finally reached puberty.

$Matt

go droid!

dannydoes

Reaction score
Interesting bug, glad to see the focus work. I agree with someone earlier about shutter lag, (not writing lag) in that it takes too long to actually snap the picture once it's focused. But still the pictures are not in focus. they are soft and a little blurry. Good phone, ok interface, crappy camera. Looking forward to droid 2.

pfranklin

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the huge shutter lag on my Moto Droid cam. There is a write lag, but the 'shutter' is less than 1/2 second after the button. Is that a problem? Try taking a picture of a clock.