Droid camera fix - what we know now

f150steeler

Reaction score
On a different note but still on the camera subject...has anyone downloaded the PRO Zoom Camera 5X app and noticed the flash had a delay when the picture was snapped causing a dark image??

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not seeing the huge shutter lag on my Moto Droid cam. There is a write lag, but the 'shutter' is less than 1/2 second after the button. Is that a problem? Try taking a picture of a clock.

I agree, mine will snap the picture quite quick, but the write lag is where it seems to be the problem. If you set the MP from 5 to 3 on the camera you will see that you can snap pictures alot quicker then before.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up my DROID on the 18th so I missed out on the 'secret' camera fix. LOL. Snapping pics is a lil slow.... but as New2u said if you set the MP to 3 instead of 5 you gain some quickness. I'm actually very happy with the camera.

superglen99

Reaction score
arg this tiks me off about the droid. people what is the point of having 5MP if you are going to set it to 3MP like the iphone has? part of the "DroidDoes" is 5MP not 3MP so we should be able to use it as is without a super long refresh lag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
D

DroidMastar

like i said you have to take pictures in good lighting, like the sunlight (lol) in order to get good pics with most camera phones.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Chudilo makes a valid point:

Personally I think this camera is only borderline usable as the shutter lag is ridiculously long. Something needs to be done about that. I realize that this is not a dedicated camera and that I'm not supposed to expect the same type of image quality as a dedicated camera would produce. However the fact that the image capture takes place about 15 seconds after I press the button is rather unforgivable to me. I do not expect the image to be on the flash card right away, but I do expect the image to be captures when I press the button, not at a random time later. How often do you need to take a picture of a static environment? You're usually take pictures of people. A human being could do quite a bit in the 15 seconds it takes to capture the image.

Here's a creepy photo of my toddler, and she does NOT look like this. Droid is set to high resolution, but this is proof of the lag time on the phone's camera. She was just sitting there, and then suddenly decided to move. I had pressed the button before she moved, and that pic would have been sweet. Look at this monstrosity...

Not my baby... the blur of me catching her on the Droid.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Chudilo makes a valid point:

Personally I think this camera is only borderline usable as the shutter lag is ridiculously long. Something needs to be done about that. I realize that this is not a dedicated camera and that I'm not supposed to expect the same type of image quality as a dedicated camera would produce. However the fact that the image capture takes place about 15 seconds after I press the button is rather unforgivable to me. I do not expect the image to be on the flash card right away, but I do expect the image to be captures when I press the button, not at a random time later. How often do you need to take a picture of a static environment? You're usually take pictures of people. A human being could do quite a bit in the 15 seconds it takes to capture the image.
Here's a creepy photo of my toddler, and she does NOT look like this. Droid is set to high resolution, but this is proof of the lag time on the phone's camera. She was just sitting there, and then suddenly decided to move. I had pressed the button before she moved, and that pic would have been sweet. Look at this monstrosity...

Not my baby... the blur of me catching her on the Droid.

Maybe I've just got bad eyesight, but I could not find the EDIT button to edit my remark here.

I don't understand the comment about "getting a faster SD card". I took this photo with the card that came WITH my Droid... does this mean that Motorola is shipping out crappy cards with this pricey equipment?

Also, why wouldn't they have provided an adaptor card - as a courtesy?

Zippster

Reaction score

cgarnes

Reaction score
Is this true? I mean, I know you are joking about the period thing, but why would the Droid work fine for 24.5 days - and then not work optimally for the next 24.5 days?

That is absolutely unacceptable.

Zippster

Reaction score
Is this true? I mean, I know you are joking about the period thing, but why would the Droid work fine for 24.5 days - and then not work optimally for the next 24.5 days?

Yes it is true, not going to get into all the details, but read the camera fix thread and about the upcoming patch thread, the patch release should fix this though before it gets into its "cycle" again. lol

Daywalker

Reaction score
I am not big into photography so I don't know what most are talking about
but this looks ok to me and way better than any of my older cameras

Droid221.jpg

bbtkd

Reaction score

Unacceptable? It's a bug. Every electronic device has them upon shipment, expect it. In this case they may or may not have identified it before shipping. It would have been nice if they had acknowledged it as soon as identified. Still, they have announced their intention to patch and have set a schedule that should keep us from having to deal with the camera problem again.

Many manufacturers never acknowledge bugs, won't commit to fixing them, and some leave bugs as incentive to move up to the next model where it will be fixed. Palm vehemently avoided commenting on bugs, promised patches but delayed them until many users had moved on, failed to patch the really critical bugs, and patches that did come out tended to brick their phones. Fail.

We'll see how Moto does but so far they seem responsive.