Droid/Blackberry chat rooms

macman4

Reaction score
Is there any chat app that will let people using droid's and blackberry's chat with each other in a private chat room. I have 3 daughters and all had blackberrys and they used a app called Blackberry messenger. Two of my daughters are upgrading to Droids this week and the other staying with blackberry until the next upgrade and they still want to private chat. Anything?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
GTalk comes to mind. The BB user will have to install it, but droids come with.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

GDP

Reaction score
Yahoo Messenger is available on Blackberry and Android. I've never used Blackberry Messenger, but from what I've heard Yahoo Messenger would be fairly similar and would work on both

OP
M

macman4

Reaction score
I have never used the blackberry messenger app, as I have a D2. As I understand it they can chat using instant messenger or have a private chat room which is invite only. It's quicker than a text message and you can see when the message has been delivered and read.

gsdreams

Reaction score
GTalk does almost everything that BBM does. It's two limitations are 1.) No location sharing and 2.) No transfer of pictures.

I suspect google is working on correcting those two. GTalk does let you create group chats and it is instantaneous just like bbm.

OP
M

macman4

Reaction score
Thanks gsdreams, could you please explain to me how I would create group chats with GTalk, using my droid. I done a google search on this and can't find anything . Thanks

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Open a chat with one contact and then hit the menu button and choose "add to chat" then you can invite people from your contact list.

tappin and a talkin

gsdreams

Reaction score
That's why I didn't see it. It was "under development", now listed in features (you can dig for the URL for gtalk).

You have to first "send" a message to one person in order to add another person to the chat.

Chadman128

Reaction score
Sick and tired of my BB Storm2. Daily battery pulls. I ordered the Android X2 today from Verizon. I'm really nervous about email and calendar stuff. I use Outlook at work and it always worked great with BB and the relay software. Am I going to have problems since we do not use an Enterprise Server?

gsdreams

Reaction score
Sick and tired of my BB Storm2. Daily battery pulls. I ordered the Android X2 today from Verizon. I'm really nervous about email and calendar stuff. I use Outlook at work and it always worked great with BB and the relay software. Am I going to have problems since we do not use an Enterprise Server?

A blackberry enterprise server only helps with bkackberrys. Are they using an exchange server at work? If not what do they use for email?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Chadman128

Reaction score
Server

We don't have a server at work. Small company with 11 employees and the management system stores all of our info offsite. We do use a company to host our email for us. I assume I will need to check with them to find out what kind of server they are using. We use outlook and I think it's pop3

Belle57

Reaction score
GTalk does almost everything that BBM does. It's two limitations are 1.) No location sharing and 2.) No transfer of pictures.

I suspect google is working on correcting those two. GTalk does let you create group chats and it is instantaneous just like bbm.
hi, just bought first droid and joined this site. Family still using blackberry so searching for alternative to BBM for IMing. Read the thread but have a question - need to log into gmail/google to use google talk and that is not always desirable. Is there any app out there that will just allow IM at any time without signing in? thanks