Droid Bionic or Droid X

JustinTiburon

Reaction score
I love my droid x. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

VilleMatic

Reaction score
Hopefully the Bionic is compatible with 3g service because I need a unlimited plan. I would not purchase this phone if I was force to purchase a 4g limited data plan.

Beka27

Reaction score
Hopefully the Bionic is compatible with 3g service because I need a unlimited plan. I would not purchase this phone if I was force to purchase a 4g limited data plan.

Is your issue only with the limits or with price? Would you purchase a 4G unlimited plan even if it cost twice as much as 3G? My issue is that I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for data.

I'm very interested to see how all this pricing comes out...

one_nine

Reaction score
i'd like to to ask the same question as the op, but in a different context. i currently have an old bb curve which is just about obsolete at this point and i can't really stand it anymore. i was up for a new phone in the beginning of december, but like many others, held out while waiting for the incredible hd/meca/thunderbolt to be released, always thinking it was just weeks away. i followed the thread on here until it was locked now that (according to ces) there wont be any new phones until at least march, i'm left in a conundrum.

do i ... a) get an x for now even though its essentially an old gen phone or b) hold out unil the next gen of phones comes out in a few months?

pros/cons to a)

pros:
new phone, no more lame duck bb curve.
can get my upgrade now before verizon switches that plan on the 16th (ideally opt into new plan with a 1 year renew rather than a 2 year).
based on above, start the clock now so i can get a new phone all that much faster and likely what i should have done in december.
if something should come in early february, i can still return and upgrade then
cons:
buying what will be a more significantly (than say the bionic will be to the atrix) obsolete phone as the new phones come out.

pros/cons to b)

pros:
i'll have the latest phone when i buy it, well at least for a month until the next is out, so that the obsolesence is reduced.
cons:
i have to wait more and more to replace my bb curve.
due to the above, i'll be that much hungrier for a new phone such that i'll take the first one out even if the next phone out in one more month is 1.5x better.

i realize i sound as if i've already made my mind up, i'm just looking for some contrasting views here. this thread has already said the next gen phones, be it thunderboldt, bionic, atrix (in ascending order) will be a significant upgrade to the x and i understand that. i'm wondering given the circumstances i've presented, can anyone suggest why i should still wait?

Last edited:

VilleMatic

Reaction score

Is your issue only with the limits or with price? Would you purchase a 4G unlimited plan even if it cost twice as much as 3G? My issue is that I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for data.

Both. I wouldn't purchase 4g service if Verizon charged twice as much.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
4g will prolly cost more, check this article out: VZW does charging for 4G in 1 GB chunks (not sure how reliable it is though). I will NOT be getting a 4G phone if it costs this much. I am looking for a new phone and will probably get an incredible or x, since they are starting to drop in price on ebay.

Beka27

Reaction score

Both. I wouldn't purchase 4g service if Verizon charged twice as much.

Yeah, I hear you. The more I'm thinking about it, the happier I am I got my X back in October. If I can hold off on a big bill increase for 18-20 months, I'm okay with that. 4G will still be around when my current contract is up, and at least then the pricing won't be a big surprise anymore. I guess we'll see.

OP
Z

Zeaq

Reaction score
Well from the comments i've been reading it sounds like 4g is too overpricied, so im getting the X in a week or two. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!:D

Beka27

Reaction score
I don't think you're going to go wrong getting the X (IMO). If you can get a one-year contract, try for that so your options will be open. And again, the 4G prices ARE still speculation. I hope I'm wrong and there's no price increase, BUT until we know for sure... (Maybe tomorrow?)

aldaudio

Reaction score
I think we just need to wait and see if the bionic requires a 4g plan, or if you can keep a 3g plan.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

VilleMatic

Reaction score
I think we just need to wait and see if the bionic requires a 4g plan, or if you can keep a 3g plan.

From what I heard. If you own a 4g phone you have to purchase a 4g data plan. If you are in a area that doesn't offer 4g service you would still need to purchase 4g data plan but will be demoted to 3g.

TypicaL

Reaction score
Droid X or wait till Bionic?

I was going to buy a droid x tomorrow was my plan. But do you guys think it would be worth waiting for the bionic? I like all the X and all the feautures it has and im sick of waiting for the next best thing so i need a 2nd opinion from you guys, thanks :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thread merged. We've had several of these threads already.

aldaudio

Reaction score

From what I heard. If you own a 4g phone you have to purchase a 4g data plan. If you are in a area that doesn't offer 4g service you would still need to purchase 4g data plan but will be demoted to 3g.

That's what I've been hearing too.