Droid X or Droid Bionic ?

flooritnfly

Reaction score
I am due now for my upgrade with Verizon. I am very impatient and want a new phone now. The Droid X looks nice, but the Droid Bionic looks ridiculous. My question is, should I fold and get the decent-looking X now or endure the long painful wait (no official word, but I've heard April and even later than that!?!) 'til the Bionic launches?

Really the only other thing that could affect my decision is Verizon's data plans.....I'm sure they will cap them eventually and I really would like to upgrade before they do so I can get grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.

So, thoughts? Surely somebody has thought of something that I have not.....

wolfpack219

Reaction score
I am due now for my upgrade with Verizon. I am very impatient and want a new phone now. The Droid X looks nice, but the Droid Bionic looks ridiculous. My question is, should I fold and get the decent-looking X now or endure the long painful wait (no official word, but I've heard April and even later than that!?!) 'til the Bionic launches?

Really the only other thing that could affect my decision is Verizon's data plans.....I'm sure they will cap them eventually and I really would like to upgrade before they do so I can get grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.

So I was in the same boat man and I caved! I'm glad I did though because this DX is amazing! I looked at the videos of how fast the Bionic was running and it just didn't look like a big performance gap. I'm also not a gamer on my phone so that didn't play a part in my decision. Also its going to be a while until I have 4G in Albuquerque NM so I really wouldn't benefit from a 4G device right away. If the Bionic ends up being that much better I will just bite the bullet I guess and buy one, but this DX halls ass I got alot going on with this device.

sarreq

Reaction score
I'm trying to wait for the Bionic, but my D1 seems like it's gonna die before it's released.

OP
F

flooritnfly

Reaction score

So I was in the same boat man and I caved! I'm glad I did though because this DX is amazing! I looked at the videos of how fast the Bionic was running and it just didn't look like a big performance gap. I'm also not a gamer on my phone so that didn't play a part in my decision. Also its going to be a while until I have 4G in Albuquerque NM so I really wouldn't benefit from a 4G device right away. If the Bionic ends up being that much better I will just bite the bullet I guess and buy one, but this DX halls ass I got alot going on with this device.

Wolfpack - What all can/do you do with your Droid X? Also, I'm now considering the HTC Thunderbolt, as it seems that is going to launch sooner than the Bionic... Another question I have is whether Verizon will make you get a 4g data plan if you get a 4g phone even if you don't have 4g service in your area (which I don't now, and probably won't for a while). How long have you had the Droid X and what would you say are the biggest drawbacks/disappointments you've noticed with the X so far?

So maybe for me, it really comes down to the Droid X vs. HTC Thunderbolt instead of X vs. Bionic.......

bL33d

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the Droid x and glad I did its a beast of a phone and the difference between the phones is not huge dualcore wont mean much till after a year or so when programs are coded for it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me say it: OH GOD NO! Not another one of these threads!

Thank you, I feel much better. ;)

Get the X. Nobody knows exactly when the Bionic is coming out, it's 4G capability will be limited until Verizon expands it's coverage over the next two years. The dual processor of course sounds interesting but dual doesn't mean twice as fast. Then in two years when your X and Bionic will both be antiques you can get a really nice 4G phone.

OP
F

flooritnfly

Reaction score
Lol, sorry but I need opinions and forums are a great place to turn to imo. My upgrade always seems to come at the worst possible time.

But, hookbill, what are your thoughts on the X vs. Thunderbolt ??

jacobmervine

Reaction score
I'm also in the same boat, My upgrade is ready and I wanted to wait for the bionic, I live in WV which I know wont get 4G any time soon other than charleston, which is 3 hours away from me. I've only found very small parts of WV to have 3G coverage. 4G is not a concern for me I like to have the newest and most up to date tech tho. now I'm deciding on to wait for the thunderbolt or just get the x now.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol, sorry but I need opinions and forums are a great place to turn to imo. My upgrade always seems to come at the worst possible time.

But, hookbill, what are your thoughts on the X vs. Thunderbolt ??

I really don't have any thoughts on the Thunderbolt. Basically I feel the same way as I do about the Bionic.

For me to really get behind and look into a phone, I have to be in the market of buying one and I'm simply not in the market. I know for a fact that it's going to be quite a while before I get a new phone and it's not because I can't afford it, it's just that I have a D1 sitting in front of me, my D2 is on the dock and I have a Blackberry Storm collecting dust on my dresser. Now I guess you could say that the Storm shouldn't be considered in the same class, but I have bought 4 new phones in 2 years time.

With Gingerbread on the horizon, the introduction of tablets (I have an iPad) current and upcoming phones at this time are not grabbing my interest. I'm going to be with my D2 for at least another 15 months. By then all of Verizon just about will be 4G, the X, Bionic, and Thunderbolt will be relics.

So I'm just not excited about the new phones at this time and don't have a great deal of interest. I think in the next year and a half though we will see some real amazing things, and that's when I'll be looking in more detail at phones.

Beka27

Reaction score
There is no SINGLE good time to upgrade. It's a continual struggle between "Upgrade NOW!" and "Upgrade when XYZ phone comes out!"

Have you considered doing a one-year contract? If you want to do a two-year, 20 months would take you to about September 2012... I'll expect that the brand new 2012 CES phones will be readily available by then.

OP
F

flooritnfly

Reaction score
I'm also in the same boat, My upgrade is ready and I wanted to wait for the bionic, I live in WV which I know wont get 4G any time soon other than charleston, which is 3 hours away from me. I've only found very small parts of WV to have 3G coverage. 4G is not a concern for me I like to have the newest and most up to date tech tho. now I'm deciding on to wait for the thunderbolt or just get the x now.

Didn't know they had ANY cell coverage in the hills of WV.....JUST kidding, ;)
I agree VERBATIM with your last sentence. Of all 4 LTE phones Verizon unveiled at CES, it sounds like the Bionic will launch last (April or later I've heard) and I just don't think I can wait that long....especially since I'm stuck with the ANCIENT LG Chocolate 3 I have now....

I think my decision right now is simply: ALL ABOUT THE DATA. I just have so many questions that I want REAL answers to
- Will Verizon cap 3g data plans?
- Will Verizon offer unlimited 4g data plans?
- What will the 4g data plans pricing be?
- If you get a new 4g phone will it be MANDATORY to get a 4g data plan even if there is no 4g coverage in your area?

I don't think I could ever see myself getting a capped 4g data plan.....I don't like the feeling of having to "tiptoe" every month. That's ridiculous.
4g speeds will be sweet I'm sure, but the only way I could see myself wanting it is if Verizon offered a 4g unlimited data plan and I could somehow tether it to my pc and laptop and also somehow bypass Verizon's silly $20/month tethering fee.....I'm sure there's a way.
But for my upgrade, I'm really just looking forward to a major hardware overhaul from my previously mentioned ancient candy and also Android........I can live with 3g speeds, and there's always wi-fi.

Ughhhhhhhhh I'm just SOOO indecisive and SOOO impatient. Not a good combo.

Last edited:

dll1477

Reaction score
Hi folks; just joined here because I'm struggling with the same issue and believe I have some info from Verizon customer service that can help. I encourage you do see if VZN will validate the below -- I learned the details below from the chat service, specifically "Geraldine", about 1 hour ago. It sure helped me make my decision ,which is to wait for the bionic.

- Will Verizon cap 3g data plans?
no. they remain at $15 for 150mb and $30 for unlimited
- Will Verizon offer unlimited 4g data plans?
yes
- What will the 4g data plans pricing be?
they will be the same as the 3G plans, e.g. $30 for unlimited data and $15 for 150mb
- If you get a new 4g phone will it be MANDATORY to get a 4g data plan even if there is no 4g coverage in your area?
no, there are no mandatory 4G plans separate or different from the mandatory 3G plans. 4G versus 3G = no difference

for sake of clarity, note that the 4G data plans for PHONES are DIFFERENT from the 4G plans for broadband cards. There has been much speculation that the 4G phone data plans would mimic that of the 4G broadband, and from what VZN told me just now that is just not true.

Additionally, note that the NE2 program is gone now -- some of you may have 'one left', so use it wisely. after expiration, you will no longer have that (albeit small) discount.

For me, the above information compels me to wait until September to apply my last NE2 towards the Bionic. I'll just have to tough it out until then with this lousy LG Envy touch.

I hope the above is true, and I'd like someone else to call to see if you get the same answer.

Beka27

Reaction score
Have you considered buying a phone online (ebay, craigslist) and then just selling it again in 6 months?

(from Beka's DX)

Beka27

Reaction score
Also, that reps info is already outdated... They are getting rid of the $15: 150 mb plan. So I guess I wouldn't put much stock in anything she said... Lol.

(from Beka's DX)

dll1477

Reaction score
Also, that reps info is already outdated... They are getting rid of the $15: 150 mb plan. So I guess I wouldn't put much stock in anything she said... Lol.

(from Beka's DX)

interesting. has there been a recent announcement to this effect or is this still rumor? perhaps one could opt in for $15 and then get grandfathered in, lol :D I wonder if one could survive with an X with only 150MB of data!